View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015
RV Appraiser

I highly recommend either Custer State Park or Wind Cave National Park for a basecamp in the Rushmore area. Wind Cave is a little further south but it is less than an hour to Rushmore. There are also several NFS campgrounds worth the time to seek out if you don't mind dry camping for a few days. The elk should be in rut and Wind Cave NP they are bugleing almost all night and it was an expierence Fran & I will never forget. Also you have to take time to visit the Mammoth digsite in Hot Springs, SD just south of WCNP and there is the wild mustang refuge park near there as well. WCNP had 30/50 amp service, fire pits & water for around $16 w/geezer card but no dump. From WCNP you are about 30 minutes to the middle of CSP and another 30 minutes to Rushmore, WELL worth the travel time becasue of all the wildlife & scenery you'll encounter. If we hadn't been last year I'd be up for it again. I would also recommend a few days in Yellowstone & the Grand Tetons a days drive, during September, they have elk & moose and that is their rut period as well.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_