View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
These items were discussed during the LED workshop at Bird's At the Beach.

http://www.amazon.com/Wire-Connector...ire+Connectors
I don't want to contradict the advice from BATB (I've been a consumer of heat-shrink connectors for years), or the wisdom of the crimp+solder school, but I'm going to share some advice I read and a video from the Homebuilders" aircraft builders group, because it is interesting the way they do electrical crimps. Is this thread hijacking? If so, at least it is a good cause, promoting solid and long-lasting electrical connections, yes?

Again, if this is contradictory, I don't mean to be, I wasn't at BATS and don't know if they went into it all.

I picked up this link in a motorcycle forum several years ago (wil;l share the link if anyone is that interested)--it was posted in the course of a discussion involving a former AMP engineer, who said, among other things, that the best electrical connections are air-tight because oxygen is needed before most metal/metal connections will corrode. AMP connectors are NOT heat-shrink.

Heat-shrinking connectors @ $2/per is one way to get air-tight, oxygen-free connections, but that can also be had with AMP connectors and an expen$ive crimping tool. As engineer and designer of crimp connectors, the poster said, the best wire crimps "weld" the crimp to the wire--if you took it apart after crimping, you'd find wire that effectively/mechanically had become part of the crimped connector, and vice versa. It takes a good tool (a "controlled cycle crimper", see the video) to deliver a "gas-tight cold weld". Otherwise, "
If one is careful, determined, and muscular, near equivalent results can be had with good aftermarket tools. "

Anyway, the Homebuilders viddie:

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=590116930001

Have fun,

--Ned
Full-time in 2019