View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019
LeRoy LeRoy is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lawson
Posts: 334

After a google search to make sure no springs would fly out I removed the compressor intake housing made a new gasket and reinstalled it. About half of the original gasket was mia.
So my tester works in theory but needs some refinement, it was based of a link Woody posted in the past. It is a 4” pvc cap with a gauge and Schrader valve mounted into the end. I used a 4” plumbing flexible rubber coupling to attach it to the inlet of the turbo. The first issue was that it seems that the inlet is probably 3.5”, but I was able to tighten the clamp enough to get it on. The second issue that the worm clamps can’t hold the pressure that a true turbo plumbing clamp can so at about 13 psi the test plug would leave the turbo and head for the yard. After I reinstalled it a couple of times I just ran it to 10 psi listening for leaks. The pressure would drop very slowly, about 1 psi every 5 seconds or so. I think the intake seems pretty solid at this point. We’ll see what effect the blown gasket had on boost pressure.
LeRoy Brown
Lawson, Missouri
1995 BMC 37 “MockingBird”
Reply With Quote