View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVinCT View Post
I'm seeing 0 oil pressure at idle when the engine idles while hot, such as when pulling up to pay tolls. The oil level is good. M380 2007 with Cummins ISL 400.

The VMS PC Silverleaf doesn't have any recorded error codes, other than a weird "unknown" code. I also don't see anything about oil on the RoadRunner 4, although it has mentioned a high voltage alert. The dash light turns on and the buzzer sounds at idle when the engine is warm. The oil pressure gauge drops to zero.

The M380 manual mentions turning on the "diagnostic switch" or adding a "shorting plug" to read blinking light error codes, but doesn't say where they are. I'm familiar with this process for a car, but not the Cummins.

Is there a manual that will help me out with this? Any suggestions? Thanks!
1. Ignore the oil pressure reading on the Road Ranger -- it always reads 55 on everybody's M380 regardless of temp / operating conditions. Rumor has it that BB "rigged" the reading because of the number of questions they received about accurate readings. (see https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=11384)
2. There are other posts of owners reporting the dash oil pressure gauge reads zero when warm at idle. My gauge works for a minute or two after startup, then goes to zero so I can't confirm whether mine does that too. PO had gauge looked at (think it was Parliament) and was told it was a common complaint. They said the module that drives that gauge goes bad and couldn't be replaced because it's part of the dash system board that is unobtainable. They recommended he look for another way to get a reading -- he chose to rely on the low pressure warning light/buzzer. I have purchased, but not yet installed, the BlueFire module that should solve this (and other) dash problems. (see https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...d.php?p=441520)
3. Doesn't Silverleaf have the capability to display the oil pressure reading? I thought they did.

My primary concern is that (if I read your post right), you're saying the low pressure light and buzzer are actually coming on at warm idle ("The dash light turns on and the buzzer sounds at idle when the engine is warm."). I've never had that happen, nor do I remember reading any posts that reported that. Some posts do say that Cummins has engine cut-off protection if the pressure is truly zero, but I'm not sure I'd want to wait for that to kick in!

Bottom line for me if I were in your shoes, find a way to get an accurate reading -- rebuilds are really expensive.
hexspeed@aol.com
Phone # in Member Profile