Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs

Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs Owning a Blue Bird isn't cheap. Questions or suggestions on how to handle these costs are discussed in this forum.

Site Search:

Old 12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
I currently have Good Sam. Had CoachNet before that. CoachNet took care of me a couple of years ago with a tag tire that blew. I was very happy with their service. Earlier this year my subscription ran out and instead of using them I decided to go with Good Sam. Thought just in case I had a problem I would spread it around so as not to wear out my welcome, so to speak. Well, as luck would have it I lost air in both my inside drive tires. Not sure how that happened but think it was faulty installation by the installer at RATS las year. I think both valve stems just came loose and leaked all the air out. Anyway, I called Good Sam. The girl was insistant that I needed to buy two new tires. I was equally insistant that I didn't think the tires were defective. She said that if I had only valve stem problems that she would have to charge me $170 per valve stem if she sent a service truck. I told her that was "insane." There was no way I was going to pay that and that I got much better service from CoachNet and was sorry I switched over. She said that I could call a truck, get serviced, and submitt the bill for reimbursement. I did just that. The bill came to $225 total. The guys spent about 2.5 hrs. taking the outside tires off and inflating the inside tires, which had come off of the rim. They also found that the valve stems were loose.

I submitted a claim for reimbursement to Good Sam. Some nice young man, who's responsibility is to take care of those claims called me on the phone. He said that he had read my statement and attached claim three times and was not sure how the girl on the phone misshandled the call but wanted me to know that he had authorized full reimbursement of the bill and would be sending me a check for $225 in 4-6 weeks. In just over 5 weeks I got the check.

So, in my opinion, both services are very good, based on my experiences. Just because they have a person on the phone that doesn't understand how things work doesn't make the entire service unsatisfactory. The gal with CoachNet was obviously more experienced and did a great job. The one from Good Sam was not but it was taken care of. It could have just as easily been the other way around. I would recommend either one and will use either one. Both services have covered ALL my vehicles including my Harley. Haven't had to use it for anything but what was stated above, but they are covered. They cover Michele as another driver too, so she is covered also.
We had a tire go flat while parked at our home. Coachnet promptly sent a local tire company's road service truck. Total charge to replace valve stem was $6.16. Also, when another time when we needed a tow they let me select the towing service. Never had much luck with GS service.

Bill B.
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Old 12-07-2012
GARY,M

we had a flat while parked .i called good sam.they said they will either put on our spare or replace the tire .they said they dont pay to fix flats .
i promptly canceled my good sam .and fixed it my self. it turned out to be a loose stem.
Old 12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARY,M View Post
we had a flat while parked .i called good sam.they said they will either put on our spare or replace the tire .they said they dont pay to fix flats .
i promptly canceled my good sam .and fixed it my self. it turned out to be a loose stem.
Gary, You must have gotten the same girl that I got. If that is their policy, they the guy I talked to that took care of my claim; either broke the rules, or knew better, or based on the comments I made about being very displeased felt it was a good idea to honor my request. Don't know tha answer to it, but when my subscription runs out I may switch back to CoachNet.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 12-07-2012

Good Sam has been ok for me...used it twice..............blew tire once..................I paid for the tyre only....had old bird tranny blew in Texas boonies..$1300 bill for towing to odessa...they paid the driver eventually after I told the driver to have gs call my law office number....THE KEY TO GOOD SAM IS GETTING IT AUTHORIZED AHEAD OF TIME......Also....get the $79.95 new member price......
Old 12-07-2012

On our first trip in our new to us 85Pt 40 I blew the engine thirty eight miles from home.Called Good Sam Towing and told them I had a 40 ft BB.After they sent the third tow truck(all to small to handle the Bird) I called a customer in the RV business and he called a wrecker to handle our Bird. Good Sam Told me to submit the bill for reinbursment which I did, it was denied .End of story.Have AAA now but have not had to use it except for a lockout which they responded in thirty minutes. Lee Condosta 85PT 40 Now a SOB Holden Beach N.C
Old 03-12-2014

Good Sams experience. Recently traveled to TN to inspect a coach. Made the trip in my 2001 GMC Yukon which is covered under our GS policy. During the return trip experienced mechanical failure near Menomonie WI. Breakdown occurred in the evening at 8:00 PM in February, outside temp -2 and dropping. Coasted the truck to the shoulder of I94 but there was a large ravine and guardrail that prevented me from moving any further that just outside the fog line. Contacted GS and after 30 minutes of being put on hold GS was unable to locate a service provider and told me I was on my own. Made a call to a local towing company and 15 minutes later the truck arrived. Tow truck operator knew this was not a good spot to be sitting and had my truck loaded in 3 minutes. Asked the driver if he accepted GS and his reply was not any more. Last call from GS included fuel delivery, jump start and 30 miles travel expenses and netted $27. Driver said he can't support a business and a $75k truck on that amount. Tow cost $85. Helped me realize that GS has service providers in the area but they are going to take real paying calls or stay home. I also have towing insurance thru my insurance company State Farm that will reimburse but the primary reason I have GS is for the assistance in finding and arranging help. GS left me hanging in a dangerous position and I find that unacceptable. I will never renew with GS again. Been 2 weeks and no follow up from GS.
Old 03-12-2014

Sorry to hear it Troy. I remember you mentioning you had an eventful trip home, but never thought it was troubles like that. Hope you got all that behind you now, and getting the Bird home when you get to it will be uneventful.
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 03-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttikalsky View Post
Good Sams experience. Recently traveled to TN to inspect a coach. Made the trip in my 2001 GMC Yukon which is covered under our GS policy. During the return trip experienced mechanical failure near Menomonie WI. Breakdown occurred in the evening at 8:00 PM in February, outside temp -2 and dropping. Coasted the truck to the shoulder of I94 but there was a large ravine and guardrail that prevented me from moving any further that just outside the fog line. Contacted GS and after 30 minutes of being put on hold GS was unable to locate a service provider and told me I was on my own. Made a call to a local towing company and 15 minutes later the truck arrived. Tow truck operator knew this was not a good spot to be sitting and had my truck loaded in 3 minutes. Asked the driver if he accepted GS and his reply was not any more. Last call from GS included fuel delivery, jump start and 30 miles travel expenses and netted $27. Driver said he can't support a business and a $75k truck on that amount. Tow cost $85. Helped me realize that GS has service providers in the area but they are going to take real paying calls or stay home. I also have towing insurance thru my insurance company State Farm that will reimburse but the primary reason I have GS is for the assistance in finding and arranging help. GS left me hanging in a dangerous position and I find that unacceptable. I will never renew with GS again. Been 2 weeks and no follow up from GS.
Troy, I responded on your other thread too. I have used both GS and CN. GS on my last issue, was a pain, but I got all my money back on it. I had checked the air in my tires, before leaving. Apparently both inside duals had the valve stick open on them from checking my air, with the balance beads. Shouldn't have happened but it did. Anyway, I got down the road and noticed it before it was too late and called GS. I got a complete moron on the other end telling me I had to buy two tires and so on. I finally was told to call my own wrecker and submit the bill for reimbursement. I did that and got paid in full. For some reason they gal on the phone was instructed to "sell me a tire" and I knew I didn't need one, but she was sure I did. It was taken care of by a nice guy I talked to at customer service and he said it shouldn't have happened and apologized. I was happy in the end

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 05-30-2016
Member still standing

Default Let the good times roll!

We are about to put Coach Net to the test. Coach is upright & all are ok. Eileen needs new pants.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	42622  
Old 05-30-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknoelh View Post
We are about to put Coach Net to the test. Coach is upright & all are ok. Eileen needs new pants.
Uh oh. Glad all are ok. Good luck.
"Chief's Pride Too"