Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > AZ Hot Birds

AZ Hot Birds Here is where you will find the latest information about the Arizona Hot Birds (AZ Hot Birds) Rallies and other gatherings.

Site Search:

Old 04-20-2013
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Default 2013 - Sept 6-8 - Durango Rally - Updated 7-3-2013

Hello All,

NOTE: This an an active document in that the attachment updates weekly.

Fred Engle attended the Lone Star Rally in April this year and they got together and decided to create an AZ Hot Birds/Texas Lone Star Joint Rally this September.

Although only preliminary planning has been done we already have 36 positive responses!

Preliminary details;

Weekend of Sept 6th - 8th 2013.
Durango Riverside Resort
13391 County Rd 250
Durango, CO 81301

The campground is on the bank of the Animas River and has some really nice sites right along the river.
http://durangoriversideresort.com/

The rates are:

Site Type Booking Rate <15 Coach Rate >15 Coach Rate
30 amp-Off River $37/night $32/night $25/night
50 amp-Off River $47/night $42/night $35/night
50 amp-On River $57/night $52/night $45/night

They also have cabins in case you cannot attend with your bus OR wish to bring friends or relatives;

Cabins Per Night :

1 room with 15 amp electricity, off the river (maximum 4 occupants) $43.00
1 room with 15 amp electricity, on the river (maximum 4 occupants) $51.00
2 room with 15 amp electricity, on the river (maximum 7 occupants) $60.00
3 room with 15 amp electricity, on the river (maiximum 7 occupants) $104.00

Just a few of the things to do:

Durango - Silverton Train
Golf--make your own reservations
Possible fly fishing trip with a guide--there would be a fee for this
Mesa Verde near Cortez
Shopping in Durango as well as night life there
A Steak fry with entertainment supplied by Greg Ryder--there would be a fee for this http://www.gregryder.com/ Greg is a great local entertainer who can usually be found in the Diamond Belle saloon at the Strater Hotel.
Jeep Trails
Horseback riding

Mileage from Michael's house in Mesa, AZ is 443 miles so is a long day's drive.

So I need to see a show of interest on how many would be willing to go on this. From that I will be able to determine the per person cost of the steak dinner with entertainment, please drop me an email.

Thanks

Fred & Bobbie Engel
Cruisin' Inn
83FCT35

*** Please work through Fred as we can get a group rate ***
f.engel@aguafriacomm.com

See Attendees list in post #4
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509

Last edited by MrPutz; 11-01-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Updated Participant Attachment - 7-16-2013
Old 04-23-2013

I doubt we will make the rally since it will be our last week of work in Gunnison at Mesa RV Resort. Please do stop in and see us there should any of you get the chance.
Fruita Colorado
Old 05-01-2013

Default Updated Info - Sept 6th - 8th 2013.

During the Lone Star Rally this April in Fredericksburg TX, interest was shown in creating an AZ Hot Birds/Texas Lone Star Birds Joint Rally this September in lovely Durango, CO.

36 Confirmed Reservations so far with Riverside sites filling fast!

Weekend of Sept 6th - 8th 2013.
Durango Riverside Resort
13391 County Rd 250
Durango, CO 81301

The campground is on the bank of the Animas River and has some really nice sites right along the river.

http://durangoriversideresort.com/

They also have cabins in case you cannot attend with your bus OR wish to bring friends or relatives.

OFF-SEASON RATES Sept 3-Oct 1
1 or 2 room Cabin and 50amp RV Site Special!! For every 2 nights paid, receive the 3rd night FREE!

You must mention this special when you call for your reservation!

(Special applies to advance phone reservations only, prior to arrival, and cannot be honored upon or after check-in.)

•The Durango Silverton Train
•Golf--make your own reservations
•Possible fly fishing trip with a guide--there would be a fee for this
•Mesa Verde near Cortez
•Shopping in Durango as well as night life there
•Jeep Trails
•Horseback Riding Stables are near by

There will be a potluck, group bar-b-que on Friday night Sept. 6th. Fred and Bobbie will bring large charcoal grills and each participant will supply their own meat to grill, a dish to share and their wonderful company to round out the event.

Also Greg Ryder--http://www.gregryder.com/ will provide our entertainment for the night. Greg is a great local entertainer who can usually be found in the Diamond Belle saloon at the Strater Hotel playing his guitar and singing songs of the West and his own creations in his wonderful bartone voice.

Since Greg makes his living doing this there will be a charge to cover Greg. At present that charge is around $8/bus. More busses less cost per bus!

Driving Directions:

Durango is situated in the rugged Rocky Mountains and as such there are a lot of long grades on some of the roads, Wolf Creek Pass for one stay out of there.

From experience the best way to get there is to take I-40 to Gallup, NM. Then go north on Highway 491 [Old 666] through Shiprock to Farmington. Then a short jog north on Hwy 550 to Durango. Once in Durango you will go north on Hwy 550 past the settlement of Hermosa continue north for 3.5 miles where you will see a rock formation on your right with water bubbling out. In 100 yards turn right on County Road 250 then follow it to the park.

The trip is a full day's drive from Phoenix, but it will take you through just the southeastern edge of what begins the Painted Desert area to the north and west. Stark in its beauty, it is also the home of the Navajo Nation.

If you are interested and want more information contact Fred Engel f.engel@aguafriacomm.com or Michael Putz and we will be glad to answer any questions or assist you in any manner we can.

Last edited by MrPutz; 07-16-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Updated 7-16-2013
Old 06-01-2013

Default Updated Aug 18th

Here's the latest on the updates as of 8-29-2013;

Code:
Last Name	First Name	Site #	Type	In 	Out
Davis	        Rick	         1	PT36	3-Sep	10-Sep
Lawrence	Bob	         2	PT36	6-Sep	12-Sep
Page	        Mark	         3	BMC	5-Sep	8-Sep
Angelino        Terry	         4	LXI	5-Sep	11-Sep
Engel	        Fred	         5	FC35T	5-Sep	11-Sep
Johannesen	Bob	         6	WLWB	5-Sep	8-Sep
Roper	        Bill	         7	LXI	5-Sep	10-Sep
Putz	        Michael	         8	FC35	5-Sep	8-Sep
Kremer	        Greg	         9	PT38	5-Sep	8-Sep
Ward	        Dave	         10	FC31	5-Sep	11-Sep
Hight	        Dennis	         11	SOB	6-Sep	8-Sep
Johnson	        Eric	         13	FC35	6-Sep	11-Sep
Hanna	        Bill	         18	WB40	3-Sep	10-Sep
Dupree	        Randy	         19	LXI	5-Sep	11-Sep
Brookshire	Nancy	         20	M380	5-Sep	11-Sep
Archie	        Rick	         22	WB40	5-Sep	8-Sep
Hulse	        Fred	         24	LXI	6-sep	12-Sep
Ridley	        Kevin	         25	PT40	6-Sep	9-Sep
Gureasko	Steve 	         26	WB40	5-Sep	8-Sep
Benham	        John	         27	SP36	6-Sep	9-Sep
Bangert	        Dan	         28	M380	5-Sep	8-Sep
Rainbolt	Art	         29	BMC	5-Sep	9-Sep
Schumann	Clyde	         30	PT40	6-Sep	9-Sep
Bjerke	        David 	         39	SP36	6-Sep	9-Sep
Zuber	        Morey 	         40	LXI	6-Sep	9-Sep
Hall	        John 	         43	PT40	6-Sep	10-Sep
Garner	        Joe 	         45	WB40    5-Sep	11-Sep	
Thomas          Lee 	         47	PT40	5-Sep	11-Sep
Williams	Mike 	         62	SOB	6-SEP	8-SEP
Perna	        Al 	         63	LXI	5-Sep	8-Sep
Lauss	        Mark 	         66     PT40	5-Sep	11-Sep	
Bentley	        Van 	         78	???	5-Sep	8-Sep
Bellows	        Fred 	         Cabin - SPUD   5-Sep	9-Sep
Johnson	        Eric 	         2-Cabins       6-Sep	11-Sep

Last edited by MrPutz; 08-30-2013 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Updated Rally List - 8-29-2013
Old 06-01-2013

Default CLEAN UP TIME :-)

Morning All.. Just wanted to let you know that at the end of today I will be cleaning up this thread. I'm trying to keep this thread succinct and easy to obtain the info you need. Go ahead and post normally but as I take your info I'll re-post the update then I'll delete your thread.
Old 06-01-2013

THINGS TO DO;

Farmer's Market
Suggested by Randy

The Jeff Solon Jazz Duo plays the patio at Mutu’s from 6-9 PM.
When: Every Thursday
701 E. Second Ave.

Pint Night at Steamworks
When: Every Thursday
801 Second Ave.
Durango, CO, United States 81301

First Thursdays Art Walk – 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm stroll every gallery in Downtown Durango for special showings and artists in residence. The Durango Arts Center coordinates First Thursdays Art Walk, a program designed to promote artists and art activities beyond the traditional gallery walks conducted in the spring and fall. A guidebook is available at all participating locations. For more information, call (970) 749-0614.

Trivia Night at the Museum – 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm at Durango Discovery Museum Are you ready for the tough questions? FREE trivia nights every Thursday throughout 2013. Join a team or build your own. Food + Drink available for purchase.

MELODRAMA HISTORY

The Victorian Stage Melodrama featured a limited number of stock characters: the hero, the villain, the heroine, an aged parent, and a comic man engaged in a sensational plot featuring themes of love and murder. Often the good but not very clever hero is duped by a scheming villain, who has eyes on the damsel in distress, until fate intervenes at the end to ensure the triumph of good over evil.

SHOW TIMES AND TICKETS

Doors open at 7:15 p.m. with shows starting at 7:45 p.m., Tuesday thru Sunday. Tickets are available online at the Henry Strater Theater Website and the Durango Melodrama Website, or call the Henry Strater Theatre Box Office at 970.375.7160. Ticket prices range from $18 - $30. Dinner & a Show packages are available. Families are welcome.

Last edited by MrPutz; 07-16-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-01-2013

Just a note on Monarch Pass. Now that I have been in Gunnison for a while and talking to people about Monarch seems most people try to avoid it.

If you are coming from the South East you can take Hwy 285 up to Hwy 114 and over bypassing Monarch. That seems to be the recommended route from the people that come all the time. That is if you plan on coming across Hwy 50.

We hope to see several of you as you make your way to or from Durango. It sure is pretty here.
Fruita Colorado
Old 08-18-2013

Default Durango Rally Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan & Cindy View Post
Is there any outline or schedule of day to day events like breakfast get togethers, pot luck meals, etc?
Hey Guys. The weekend is pretty relaxed and not too structured.

Friday 2pm - Stereo Q&A by Fred Bellows;
Fred Bellows, owner of Subsolutions.com, will host a small Q&A session at Pat & Joe's coach - Alligator II - (Site-45)

Friday Night 9/6 (4pm hors d'oeuvres - 4:30pm Grill Starts)

There will be a potluck & bring your own bar-b-que. The resort is allowing us to us the large gas grill on the deck and each participant will supply their own meat to grill, a dish to share and their wonderful company to round out the event.

Also Greg Ryder--http://www.gregryder.com/ will provide our entertainment for the night. Greg is a great local entertainer who can usually be found in the Diamond Belle saloon at the Strater Hotel playing his guitar and singing songs of the West and his own creations in his wonderful baritone voice.

Since Greg makes his living doing this there will be a charge to cover Greg. At present that charge is around $6/bus.

Saturday 8pm - LED Demo;
Small LED Demo at Putz'n Around (space-8)

Sunday 9/8 @ 7:30am;
Eric & Mary Ann Johnson has organized a Jeep trail run with a friend of theirs that lives in the area and they are inviting you to join them.

They will leave the Durango Riverside Resort at 7:30 a.m. on Sunday, September 8 and drive to Silverton, about one hour away. They will meet up with a small group in Silverton and proceed to drive along the following scenic route:

Ophir Pass from Hwy 550 west to 145, then drive to Telluride for a break and ride up Imogene Trail through the Tomboy Mine to stop for a picnic lunch (you bring your own). Then over the pass toward Ouray to Yankee Boy Basin and end up in downtown Ouray. This trip will take about 5 hours of off-roading plus road travel and lunch time.

Most of these trails are easy to moderate in difficulty and there are spots where you will need a vehicle with good clearance to travel on them safely. Four wheel drive would also be good to have if we have rain or encounter wet areas. If you don't have this kind of a vehicle, you may hitch a ride with someone or rent a Jeep in Durango or Silverton.

You may, of course, decide to do this trip on your own, but I encourage you to do these trails with at least one other vehicle so you have a plan "B" in case things don't go according to plan. So far, I have the following people that have indicated an interest in participating in the trail run:

Johnson
Engel
Roper
Lawrence
Benham
Schumann
Brookshire
Rainbolt

Eric checked a bit on Jeep rentals in the area. If you are interested in doing this, he thinks the best choice would be to get one in Silverton rather than Durango. There are several vendors that provide this service in Silverton. He talked with "Silverton Jeep Rentals" staff and found out the following:
1. Full day rental for 2-door Jeep is $150, for 4-door Jeep is $180.
2. Open on Sundays (the Trail Run is on a Sunday)
3. Pick up time is 8 a.m. & Return time is 5 p.m.
4. Due to the time the Trail Run will take, it would be difficult to get a rental Jeep back in time. The best option would be to rent a unit for 2 days.
5. They have 15 Jeeps available for rental on September 8.

Tuesday 9/10;

Eric & Mary Ann invite you to join them and our family for a train trip, a great lunch and the experience of flying like a bird through the beautiful Colorado forests and over mountain streams.

How is this possible? By reserving a space to travel on the longest zip line network in the world. Visit the Soaring Tree Top Adventure web site soaringcolorado.com to see what I'm talking about.

This experience isn't cheap, but it costs no more than filling your Bird's tank with diesel and I guarantee you'll remember it a heck of a lot longer.

Call this outfit to make a reservation. They will want to know the names and weights of folks in your party. My family has taken 7 spots. Six of us are soaring and one of us is watching and lunching at a reduced rate. As of today there are 30 spots left on the this day.

•The Durango Silverton Train
•Golf--make your own reservations
•Possible fly fishing trip with a guide--there would be a fee for this
•Mesa Verde near Cortez
•Shopping in Durango as well as night life there
•Jeep Trails
•Horseback Riding Stables are near by

Average Weather this time of the year should be upper 70's for the highs and lower 40's for the lows.

Last edited by MrPutz; 08-22-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Updating Activities
Old 08-20-2013

Default If they run out of room.. here's other options;

If they run out of room.. here's other options in order of distance from the RV Park;

Chris Park Campground (4.5mi)
900 Chris Park Rd
970-259-3165

Westerly RV Park (5mi)
www.westerlyrvpark.com
970-247-1275

United Campgrounds of Durango (9.5mi)
www.unitedcampgroundsofdurango.com
970-247-3853

Lightner Creek Campground (13.5mi)
www.camplightnercreek.com
970-247-5406

Cottonwood Camper Park (13.5mi)
21636 Highway 160
970-247-1977

Molas Lake Park
www.molaslake.com
970-387-5522

Blue Spruce RV Park & Cabins (13.6mi)
www.bluesprucervpark.com
970-884-2641

Five Branches Camper Park (15.6mi)
www5branches.com
970-884-2582

Durango KOA (15.6mi)
www.durangokoa.com
970-247-0783

Junction Creek Campground (16.8)
171 Forest Ridge Rd
970-375-1282
Old 08-21-2013

All;

Mike and I were discussing folks still trying to get spots, and I note he posted some alternative campgrounds. Here is the heads up on what I know about those:
Chris Park would be very beautiful and a nice place, however if you do not like taking your bus or tow gear on a dirt road this one would not be for you.
Westerly RV Park is going to be a little more back towards Durango, and on the west side of Hwy 550 against the western bluff of the Valley. Right behind Trimble Hot Springs.
One other option is the Alpen Rose at 27847 Hwy 550 970-247-5540. This is a little further back to town than Westerly RV but I have stayed here in the past nice facility and the one for which I would try. However when I first started planning this thing that is where I wanted to hold it and the manager told me April they were booked up for September. Not sure maybe our reputation precedes us? hey Mike what did you guys do on the Balloon Fest trip up there?
United Campground is all the way back at Durango and has a lot of full time residents so the RV/camping thing is sort of lost there.
Beyond that all the other ones listed are on the south end of Durango or west out Hwy 160 toward Cortez.
I will put out an email asking anyone if they are intending to cancel to let me know and I will try a coordinate with Vicky at the resort to hold the spot for an exchange. Problem is we are not the only people in the place and she may have a waiting list, I do not know. But I am willing to give it a shot.
Al I know Vicky is waiting for some information from you. Might give her a shout out.
Seems like another lifetime ago when myself and few LSB's hatched this crazy plot in Fredericksburg, TX. and here we are two weeks to go!!!
I still think the theme song for this should be "See you In September"