Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-23-2009

Default Total DC failure / Daytime Running Lights Wired Incorrectly

Brought the bus home from the Provincial inspection, where they check lights, brakes, tires, etc.
Backing into the driveway I experienced a total DC failure, all lights go out, engine stops running, dark and quiet inside the bus. Nothing. After about 1 minute DC power came back on, restart bus, check instruments, all normal, after a couple of minutes of running it happened again. Again after a minute DC power came back on. Started bus again, rechecked the instruments - all normal, finished backing in, let it run for a few minutes, it did not happen a third time, and then I shut down.

I called the inspection station and they say it worked fine for them. they did not disconnect batteries or DC power.

I cycled the battery master in the battery compartment (one, both, two selector) as I thought it might be a poor connection. The only other thing I could think is it is the DC master relay. The switch is in the overhead cabinets, but where is the actual relay. I thought that I might change that on spec. Where is that located, has anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks in advance.
96wb42
Mid Door

Last edited by iamflagman; 09-01-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-23-2009
Gardner

It sounds like an auto-reset breaker. It is effecting the lights and ignition power, so I would check the wiring diagrams and try to find a common point.

Also try to find out where the techs did any work/inspection. Carefully look for possible shorts or loose connections.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 11-23-2009
davidmbrady

The behavior is like someone is toggling the A/T (anti-theft) dash switch. This is the only switch that will kill power to the DDEC ECU. The A/T switch controls a continuous use solenoid. Sounds like the solenoid is faulty. Trouble is, I don't know where the solenoid is on your bus.
Old 11-23-2009

David

I was thinking that it was acting like the A/T switch was being shut off. I am looking at the diagrams now to get a solenoid # and maybe a location. It has been raining here like crazy, wondering if water may be the cause. Has anyone else seen this snag?

thanks again
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 11-23-2009

Well,

I was thinking about this issue, and if it really is the solenoid switched by the a/t switch, perhaps you can just sit in the coach with the engine OFF for a period of time, and see if everything still shuts off periodically.

Once the solenoid has been located, you can begin the search for a loose connection between the a/t and the solenoid, or between solenoid and ground. The problem you are experiencing is probably not caused by loose high current 12v flowing through the solenoid.
Linden, Michigan
Old 11-23-2009
Gardner

I still think it was behaving like an auto reset breaker. Check the source for the AT switch power. Does the AT switch effect the headlights??

Some PO may have added an accessory and is overloading the breaker. I did have a similar problem, but it was I who added the accessory. I tapped the searchlight breaker for power and when the searchlights were on it would drop out regularly.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 11-23-2009

Gardner
What you say sound logical. I installed a daytime running light mod that is required by law here in Canada in order to pass the importation requirements. This is the only mod that I have added. I tapped in to the electrical bus that is switched to the ignition "run" position.I can't see how this would effect the A/T switch.
Now that I have met the requirements I can now disconnect the daytime running lights.
The only way I could see the daytime running lights effecting the A/T switch. is if I tapped into the same "control" power. Then the extra draw of the headlights might cause the CB to trip, cool and then reset. As I took the power from the only bar that is controlled by the ignition switch, I can't see how this would be responsible.
All the same -I disconnected it.It make sense that you should check recent changes, as all worked prior to the daytime running lights.
I'll see if this makes a difference.
Thanks again,
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 11-23-2009
Forum Moderator

I also didn't have any luck putting in DRL system even with a special schematic from BB. My issue was the bus engine wouldn't shut down while the lights were on. Not as big a problem as yours but definitely an electrical gremlin with who knows what other possible consequences. I went for the importation inspection and disconnected the DRL afterwards. I drive with my lights on most times anyways
Old 11-23-2009
Gardner

Peter,
On my 1983 FC the ignition buss bar was supplied directly from the switch. After finding low voltage at several places, and a burned wire on the ignition switch, I added a Bosh relay so the ignition switch didn't need to carry the whole load. It is this relay that I sourced from the spotlight breaker.

Fast forward a few months. My headlight switch started failing intermittently. So one night I lost the headlights and decided to use the spotlights to get me to a rest area. Well the total current overloaded the breaker and I kept loosing all lights and power every 40 seconds or so, and then got it back for a short while. It was a fun experience.

You may very well have found the problem with your daylight driving light mod.

Lesson learned: If you want to add someting, install a dedicated circuit breaker connected to the source side of the buss bar. If you want it switched, add a Bosh relay.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-04-2010
Mike and Tracy

Default I have had a similar issue - and can help

We've got a 99 LXI with factory daytime running lights (DRL's). Had exactly the same problem. Many hours tracing it - read on for the fix.

We're still in the process of getting our DRL's to work right, but here is the issue.

There are two large (100Amp) can type solenoids on our bird. They are in the master 12v fuse and relay cabinet outside the coach, drivers side, under the driver's side window. When we turn key to on, this solenoid is energized and passes current to most vehicle systems including the Engine controller, HWH jacks and that buzzer the drives you nuts when they're down, the transmission, etc. There are two switching lugs on the solenoid one goes to the key, and I suspect (but haven't yet confirmed) that the other goes to the A/T switch.

Anyways, on our coach someone (not factory) had wired a terminal on the headlight switch to the key switch on wire. This creates a lot of draw, so much that there isn't enough left to keepthe master solenoid energized. I suspect that whomever installed your DRL did the same thing.

So, I would suggest you see if you have the same canister solenoid. It is a white-rodgers model. Then look for a wire going to either your headlight switch or the DRL.

I have temporarily solved my nightmare by wiring the headlights directly to the energized (key on) side of the solenoid. For the time being, we just drive with our lights on in the daytime as that is a lot safer than having DRLs that work in the daylight, but a coach that shuts off at 60mph in the dark on the highway.

Once I locate a circuit diagram for the 48600-02 DRL module on our coach, I will be rewiring it to the key on side of the large solenoid.

You can Private email me on here if you like and I can send you pictures of what to look for. I doubt our coaches are much different being only 3 years apart.

Mike and Tracy - near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
1999 43 LXI, "Maddy" - 60 Series Detroit
FOR SALE, $90k U.S. OBO
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (Diesel) or Jeep Rubicon 4 Down Toad