Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 02-14-2020

Default Water pumps - air lock?

Need advice...I let my fresh water tank empty, now I've refilled it but I'm not getting water flow using the pumps. I can hear/feel them running, but no water. Everything works using city water directly. I'm thinking airlock, is there a way to "bleed" the pumps?
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 02-14-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenjackie View Post
Need advice...I let my fresh water tank empty, now I've refilled it but I'm not getting water flow using the pumps. I can hear/feel them running, but no water. Everything works using city water directly. I'm thinking airlock, is there a way to "bleed" the pumps?
Tank fill switch off?

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 02-14-2020
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
May not apply to a 97 WB but this is what I do when there’s air trapped in the pumps in my 91 WB.

1) Fill switch “off”

2) Leave the hose for the city water hooked to the coach but turn off the water valve at the campground post to shut off the city water.

3) Turn off both water pumps.

4) Open all the faucets (hot and cold) including the shower.

5) When the water stops flowing move on to step 6.

6) If you have a selector switch that allows you to run one pump at a time or both pumps together, set the switch to run just one pump. If you don’t have a selector switch you may have to disable one pump at a time.

7) Turn the water pump switch on and let just the one pump run until you’re getting good flow out of the faucets.

8) Turn off the water pump switch and wait until the water stops flowing.

9) Disable the pump that you just ran and enable the second pump.

10) Turn the second water pump on and let it run until you’re getting good flow out of the faucets.

11) At this point both pumps should be primed, so close all of the faucets and see if each pump will build enough pressure to turn itself off.

If that doesn’t work, check sporlan valve.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 02-14-2020

Thanks, John, that's got me working...partially! Pump A is primed & working now, but Pump B jus continues to run without moving any water. I'll need to remove & test the pump once I get the chance (glad it's the one on the outside!), but I have a question:
Near the pumps are 2 valves for each, labelled "pressure" & "suction". what are they for? And on the pumps themselves, there are sight glasses. Are they on the input or output of the pumps? The one on B stays half full, while A fills up. (Sorry it's sideways!)
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1353.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	66275  
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 02-14-2020

I am sure those sight glasses are actually filters. So they are on the input side of the pump. You want to use filters.
I could never figure out those pressure and suction valves on mine.

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Old 02-15-2020
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Thanks, John, that's got me working...partially! Pump A is primed & working now, but Pump B jus continues to run without moving any water. I'll need to remove & test the pump once I get the chance (glad it's the one on the outside!), but I have a question:
Near the pumps are 2 valves for each, labelled "pressure" & "suction". what are they for? And on the pumps themselves, there are sight glasses. Are they on the input or output of the pumps? The one on B stays half full, while A fills up. (Sorry it's sideways!)
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
I am sure those sight glasses are actually filters. So they are on the input side of the pump. You want to use filters.
I could never figure out those pressure and suction valves on mine.
The "Suction" valves are for shutting off the water on the "inlet" side of the pumps and the "Pressure" valves are for shutting off the water on the "outlet" side of the pumps. They allow you to isolate a pump for maintenance, etc..
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001