Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 11-17-2008

the hot side turbine of the turbo is constructed of inconel there is no way it could be affected by condensation
You state that your drain is in the muffler how do you drain or the protect the turbo presently which upstream and downhill from the muffler

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 11-17-2008
davidmbrady

Hi Stephen,

Sorry for being a pain, but since you're in the early stages of your exhaust system offering, it seems like a good time for the buying public to state their needs.

As far as the length of pipe from the turbo to the muffler, my coach still has the stock "ball joint" expansion pipe. Those bulbous joints actually provide local minimums where water can collect and pool, allowing it to evaporate with time, or be expelled when the motor is started. Granted, this is probably more of an accidental water trap than intentional, but it does provide a low area for condensation to collect. It's no secret that the expansion pipe rusts out from the inside, and is in effect sacrificial. The point is, that the exhaust system water infiltration protection works best if there are some local minimums, or low points, where condensation/rain water can collect preventing it from finding it's way to the engine.

David Brady
'02 LXi, NC
Old 11-17-2008

I would suggest that the Exhaust system as it is now designed is sufficient and capable to resist any potential condensation problems, especially when you consider the Complete Exhaust package offered by Dupree Products.

The Complete package includes Exhaust Blankets starting from and including the Exhaust Manifold, Turbo, all Pipes and Flex Connector, up to the bottom of the Stack Turnout pipe. These Blankets have a SS Braided Liner 1" of insulation good for 1800 degrees F continuous contact, and an impermeable fiberglass exterior jacket. I believe that will insulate the pipes as well from any potential condensation scenarios that you would encounter anywhere in North America.

As per everyone’s concerns about the 90 degree Stack Out Turned pipe, and rain permeation. The pipe is 6" in diameter with the 5" diameter stack pipe inserted into it. The Turnout is attached to the 5" pipe and allows for 1/2" open clearance around the base of the Turn Out Pipe to allow any water that may enter it to flow harmlessly away from the interior of the exhaust system. Another small bonus is the potential of this setup to help facilitate air flow extraction in the exhaust tunnel. The polished 6" Turn Out Pipe will also maintain the origonal BIG PIPE LOOK we all love

I would also take the liberty to suggest that in the case of the PT 42. It is not a stock replacement for you existing system. It is a direct replacement of the stock system. The mount from the engine block that supports the old system is not used, because it is in the way of the blanket for the turbo, it vibrates excessively when the motor is running, and connects the exhaust pipe in front of the Flex Connector, thus defeating the function of the Flex Connector. Some of the original mounts are used, modified or discarded.

All parts to install this system are included with the Complete system.

Kurt Horvath
95 PT 42
10AC
Old 11-17-2008
davidmbrady

Kurt

I believe the "full replacement exhaust system" is your design, correct?

David Brady
'02 LXi, NC
Old 11-17-2008

I started this because I could not get any parts from Bluebird. In past posts I have stated that we, the owners are the Legacy of the Bluebird Wanderlodge, and that we will be the ones to keep the legend alive and the coaches rolling, the near catastrophic failure of my exhaust, thrust me and several other to build an exhaust system good enough to go in our Coaches.

Before anyone jumps on me about BB or CCW. God bless them. They are doing what is correct for them, and they should do whatever it takes to be successful.

It has no bearing on me or my coach. My coach is 15 years old. It is solely my responsibility and I will do whatever it takes to make her the best coach it can be.

This has been a collaboration of more than a few people. The Aerospace industry in Huntsville Alabama home of the Space and Rocket Center, Redstone Arsenal you know the guys and girls that build stuff that flies fast and goes BOOM to several Exhaust industry companies such as Auto-Jet, Vibrant, Donaldson, Marine Exhaust Fabricators, Aviation Exhaust Manufactures,. We have spoken with industry experts from Canada to Nelson in Australia Custom Car builders, Garrett Turbochargers, Eagle Coach Converters, Prevost in Nashville. Covington Diesel, Stevenson DD . Neally Cobel Freightliner, Firwin, ATP, Kolb Co. Fleetgaurd, Fleetpride, Nightrain Converters, Hemphill, Eagles Nest, And last but not least. Bluebird in Ft Valley Georgia.. Exhaustive, ( no pun intended ) Internet searches, for flow rates, metallurgical properties, thermal studies, suppliers, designers, fabricators, patent searches, and of course Bluebird Owners. and all three forums. It has come to fruition, a group of us are currently building and marketing SS exhausts for your coaches.

I would have preferred to maintain my anonymity, but I would be glad to answer any questions that you may have in regards to helping our group build an exhaust system for you that I know will last the life of your coach.

I would also like to say Thank You to Steve Birtles for jumpimg into this with me. Dupree Products will be the source for these exhaust systems, and other Vintage Wanderlodge parts and systems, that will keep our coaches rolling for years to come.

Kurt Hovath
95 PT 42
10AC

Last edited by Bumpersbird; 11-17-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 12-04-2008

Here we are 2 weeks after our last posts on my exhaust build. I
should have some photos today rain permitting.

Some forum members brought up several points that I had not fully
considered or researched.

Some of the mods are a 90 degree turnout pipe up top, a 30 degree
miter cut with a rain visor and a drain tube on the necks bottom
inside curve of the turn out. This should keep most of the rain out.

Not being able to decide on exactly which type of exit I wanted I
have built, two types the 90 I just described and a straight stack
with a rain cap.

Yes David the same as on your JD, At least I polished it up.

If you look at your PT's exhaust it's a straight shot from the
exhaust opening straight into your motor. Systems with mufflers have
water traps and some have drains as well, small holes drilled into
the bottom of the muffler. I opted out of a muffler, for a straight
stack, so some sort of rain trap had to be created that would not
interfere with the exhaust gas flow and trap and drain rain
accumulation of any proportions. A 5" hole can accumulate a lot of
water in a daily south Florida afternoon rain, day after day sooner
or later your going to fill the block with water. According to
Detroit this is a problem. DUH!!! Detroit used the words Catastrophic
Failure several times.

This first post has a photo of the test drain trap. Look on the Home
Page for photo in Bumpersbird Album last pic. What you are looking at
is the drain section with the garden hose on full flow. 5 gallons per
min. As you can see it gets most of the flow. The section of tube on
the ground has been cut down to 6" long with a 3.5" electric exhaust
dump valve installed on a flange to open and close the water trap. At
this point it is manually operated by a rocker switch or a by a
remote key fob.

I'm working on a thermal activated switch that will close the valve
upon heating or a sensor that will open the valve if it detects water
in the trap. The surest method of operation is to open it when parked
and close it before you crank up the motor

Some of my modification will most likely raise some eyebrows, and the
commentary which when taken in the proper context may led to another
modification.

Most likely NOT a this stage, unless of course someone spots a
glaring defect or error in my build.

I'm ready to install the new pipes and go somewhere in the coach,
she's been in the barn since Aug. On the up side I have gotten
several large fix's and rebuilds done on her since I knew she would
sitting for a while.

Comments, criticism, suggestions, jokes, remarks, welcomed.

Currently this is a prototype for my coach, a direct replacement for
the 95-96 PT42's is in the works. It will be built Stainless Steel
and will be a direct bolt in application, to replace the OEM parts.

Kurt Horvath
95 PT 42
10AC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB Exhaust system 052.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	522.1 KB
ID:	830