Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 01-05-2009
Senior

Actually John I have done very little to the Kohler Generator with a Perkins diesel engine other then completely rebuilding the control box, relocating the air solenoid that opens and closes the tray, cleaning it up and painting it to make it pretty. The perkins diesel engine is built like a tank and if regular preventative maintenance is done on them, air cleaner, fuel filter, a good grade of diesel oil (I only used Mobil Super 1300 15W-40) and oil filters and I believe they will outlive us. When anyone gets a new coach the preventative maintenance is the very first thing I would do and then if there are problems tackle them. Probably take off the back cover of the generator and check to see if there is any damage to the slip rings and brushes. Tom Sorrentino corrected his noises back there this last July at our Vernon Rally by replacing the generator slip rings and brushes a job that saved him big big bucks and he did an absolutely professional job the first time.
6V92
Old 01-07-2009
jcoop0001

An Update,

Well got the meter out and did some checking.

1. 110VAC
2. 62 Hz

So I don't think it's running on three cly, it really runs quite well. After it really warms up it has a small random knock. the rear injector is still noisy, but overall it runs fine.

I need to change the filters and oil.

John, Do you remember the size of the pipe for the oil drain, I would like to get the parts before I open it up. It looks like 1/2" pipe but would like to be sure before I pull it apart.

Overall, think I will do the maint and see what happens with it.

Will have to do some repairs on the tray as it has been "hit" a couple times

Thanks for the help
Old 01-07-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoop0001 View Post
An Update,

Well got the meter out and did some checking.

1. 110VAC
2. 62 Hz

So I don't think it's running on three cly, it really runs quite well. After it really warms up it has a small random knock. the rear injector is still noisy, but overall it runs fine.

I need to change the filters and oil.

John, Do you remember the size of the pipe for the oil drain, I would like to get the parts before I open it up. It looks like 1/2" pipe but would like to be sure before I pull it apart.

Overall, think I will do the maint and see what happens with it.

Will have to do some repairs on the tray as it has been "hit" a couple times

Thanks for the help
Did you check the HZ with a full load on the genset? I had a sensitivity issue where the genset wouldn't recover properly, by allowing the HZ to remain below 58HZ for too long. The technician finally got it set so that it ran between 59-62HZ depending on the load, but would eventually level out near 61HZ such as when an airconditioner would cycle. Consult an electrician for the HZ figures that it should run at with a full or partial load.

If you are talking about adding a ball valve to the oil drain like I did;

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/53907070

I just took the oil drain plug down to Lowe's and purchased the ball valve with a male fitting on one end and a female fitting on the other that matched up with the oil drain plug itself, then I added a short pipe extension between the female side of the valve and the female fitting on the oil pan, on the other side of the vale, I added an female/female elbow and then a short pipe extension so that the drain would end up near the drain hole in the generator tray, all of these parts can be found in the Lowe's plumbing fittings department, just match up the thread size of the original oil drain plug from the Perkins, I can't remember what exact size they all were, but I think that they were all NPT type of threads.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11