Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 11-22-2011

So that's what happened. Had installed a UPS inline with all the audio/video components then one day, while inverter on, I decided to turn on system. Satellite reset (to dish network, I have direct tv) and UPS started beeping non stop. Bunch of other stuff distracted me but I ended up taking out UPS and had to have satellite reset by service person
Old 11-22-2011

Ya, basically, most UPS units do not "like" the power generated by a modified sine wave inverter. The result could be that the UPS refuses to allow the inverter power through (the UPS stays on battery), it could switch back and forth between sources, or cause premature failure of the UPS itself.

Ideally, my recommendation would be to upgrade to a true sine wave inverter, because the power is MUCH better for your electronics. Then, you can continue using the UPS, which is also a good idea.

The more expensive electronic gadgets we put in our coaches, the greater the importance of having good clean power. Like I said earlier in the thread, coaches experience a lot more unstable power events then the average home. Personally, I want to protect my electronic 'toys'!
Linden, Michigan
Old 11-22-2011

I've already upgraded from the original PACS 1500 to a Cotek 2000 watt true sine wave inverter. I doubt I will buy a UPS but I may use the inverter to permanently power the electronics, in which case it is performing the same function as a UPS.
Old 11-23-2011

I agree 100% regarding the benefits to your electronics of a pure sine wave inverter but am wondering why a UPS is even needed in many coaches. My previous '99 LXi43 had two modified sine wave inverters which, as you stated didn't like a UPS. The changeover switch from shore to inverter was so fast that the TV's and desktop computer did not "blink" and operated flawlessly. The reason why I even tried a UPS was because when I shut down the generator, the decreased output voltage shut off the electronics before the inverters kicked in. I eliminated that problem by shutting off the main breakers prior to stopping the generator then turning them back on. This could be done without any interruption of power to the electronics.

If you have a fast changeover switch in your inverter setup it actually works just like a huge UPS.
Old 11-23-2011

Rich,

Flipping your breakers is a very good way of eliminating the low voltage that occurs before transfer from the generator. Good idea there.

In theory, you are mostly correct about the need for a UPS. However, there are a couple of problems.

While the inverter transfer switch is fast, it is not as fast and accurate as a decent UPS in keeping a constant flow of power.

To me, the biggest issue is the lack of protection from bad campground power and such. Also, when you are driving, if you shut off your genny, you can't flip your breakers first, unless you have the wife do it I suppose.

I don't think a UPS is a necessity, but I think if you have a lot of money invested in electronic gadgets, why take the risk?
Linden, Michigan
Old 11-28-2011

No way would I trust a wedge or rubber shelf liner to hold a big heavy receiver in place. You need a strap, or you need to make the opening fascia impossible for it to come straight out from (get creative with your woodworking). Personally the strap is used pretty much everywhere in the rv industry, usually with ****** lightweight components but the idea is sound (no pun intended). And it prevents the face of your equipment from being rubbed raw by the "fix". I've even seen screws run through a bottom of a shelf up into a component (TV) to stop it from moving around.

Better something like this than having a wreck because you are distracted.

Ken - Austin, Texas -
'94 34' Safari Serengeti sold - Mom remarried @71 and they upgraded to a newer Coach w/Slides

(HDT Coach or BMC & Stacker for me in the future.)
Old 03-22-2012
Sandwichs de Glace

Hi Folks,

Any one looking for a replacement monitor for the front of their 'bird ought to check out this newer screen format:

http://www.vizio.com/ces/cinemawide/overview

Not yet available here in the States, this format lends itself well to simultaneous PC and other video sources. Only 24" of height for the 50" diag model makes for a very efficient use of overhead real estate.

I know Philips has been selling them in Europe for a couple of years or so. Hope it comes state-side soon!!!

Mike
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
Old 03-26-2012

Unless all you watch are old movies, I don't think that'll work too well and even on something like BenHur you'll still have black bars as it's a even wider aspect ratio than that. At least with a 16:9 monitor you can leave the bars top and bottom but for newer content (TV & Movies) 16:9 (1.78:1) IS the standard just about everything has been going to, including modern Digital Video cameras, for the last decade. Now we're supposed to adopt a even wider format of (21:9) 2.35:1 and stretch this HD content to fill it, distorting the viewing experience in order to use the maximum real estate something like this offers? Or worse live with the boxcars or filler content on this new monitor? Heck we pretty much just got rid of 4:3 (1.33:1) content and now this?

I know if all you do is watch certain movies it'll be amazing. But with MOST of the other ordinary content it's really either going to distort the heck out of it or you'll have to live with borders again. I shudder to think what 4:3 format stuff would look like or the quality of a old regular DVD stretched to fill that screen....

Now if I had 2 viewing rooms... But alas a HiDef Projector with a masking solution is likely still the best option.

Also as a Computer Monitor this Vizio would be great if only it had more vertical resolution. 1080 displays actually don't have much to offer when we already have even lowly 27" monitors capable of 1440+ vertical resolution. Less scrolling up and down. Even a new iPad has 1536 vertical pixels. Give me that aspect at say 2000 pixels of vertical and I'll take 2 of them to replace the 3 current 1920x1200 (16:10) monitors I have on my desktop.

Thats just my first thoughts on it. There's big threads on it over on the AVS forums and other places.ymmv.

Ken - Austin, Texas -
'94 34' Safari Serengeti sold - Mom remarried @71 and they upgraded to a newer Coach w/Slides

(HDT Coach or BMC & Stacker for me in the future.)
Old 03-26-2012

I agree Ken.
Old 03-26-2012
Sandwichs de Glace

Ken,

Good points, and, unfortunately, my significant-other agrees. Guess I’ll have to come up with a better argument than “a WB Wanderlodge deserves a wider screen” to justify this one.

FWIW: We have an old front projector setup in our basement, but Mary has already said no to moving it on to the bus.

Mike
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5XT