Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 12-04-2010

Rob,

From my research when locating my replacement unit, they seem to max out at 100PSI. They make units with less, but couldn't find any that do more than the 100.

It's worth noting that I found out that Gast is apparently the 'go-to' company for reliable industrial quality compressors and vacuum pumps. Any doctor or dentist's office probably uses Gast, and luxury cars with air suspension also use them (smaller 12v pumps). Still built in the USA.

Looks like Blue Bird picked the right supplier in this case!

-Robert
Linden, Michigan
Old 12-04-2010
Forum Moderator

You've done your homework Robert. I seem to recall that during some recall work BB put higher rated compressors in the 450s so they could air up the tires to 115lbs. Do you remember that? I wonder what brand of compressor they chose?
Old 12-04-2010

Ya, I remember that now. That was after the recall.

Seems to me that if I remember correctly, they installed an additional compressor specifically for that task, but I could be mistaken.

I'd also like to know what they put in.
Linden, Michigan
Old 12-04-2010

you may want to look at valid manufacturing
They make the Aux Compressors for the Newell

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 01-24-2012
Consistently clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
you may want to look at valid manufacturing
They make the Aux Compressors for the Newell
This thread is a little dated (2 years) but since my coach did not come with an acc. compressor and this is the only one I've found dealing with all that...

The goals are (1) to air the suspension without/prior to running the engine, (2) tire inflation, (3) possible use for air tools, and (4) elimination of the 110V pancake compressor that is only used for the Microphore. The dump valves have been amputated and replaced with manual.

I'm now looking at a Viair two-compressor system (I think Viair is the same as the Valid that Stephen mentions) with 12V/40A compressor and a 2.5 gallon accessory reserve tank (I might try to go with a smaller tank). The system will build 165 PSI and produce about 3.5 cfm. I'd add the necessary regulator for the Microphore on that line, and for the line feeding the coach system there would be a dryer/filter and regulator set at 120 PSI. I'd Tee off that for a hose reel to be used for tires and tools.

This is the current thought. Does anyone see any problem with any part of it, or maybe a suggestion for something different?

1990 WB-40 Royal Conversion
GS 810327023 -- FMCA 421581 -- SKP 109591

"[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities... [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I]"
Walt Kelly, 08/25/1913 - 10/18/1973
Old 10-24-2012

Does anyone know what size the original female quick disconnect is in a 90 SP36 and possible what brand? I had a tow truck driver with a large selection of male fittings that was unable to find the correct one in his stash, which leads me to ask here. Also my intentions are to plug an aux compressor into this female fitting, if I can back feed to the coach air system. Anyone see any problems with this idea?
Old 10-24-2012

William,

Are you talking about the female quick disconnect in the water heater bay? As far as I know, it's just a standard female air fitting. I've never had a problem connecting any of my air hoses up to it.

As for hooking up your aux compressor to it... On my coach, there is no check valve to prevent back feeding the system via that fitting. I have hooked my shop air to that connection in the past. My only concern is that memory serve, that fitting is plumbed BEYOND the air dryer. In other words, if you hook your aux compressor up to it, you'll be introducing moist air into your air system (if I am right about the plumbing). Not a good idea long term.

Not sure how similar our two coaches are plumbed. 91 and up coaches have a lot of changes, but perhaps the basic plumbing design is the same as yours.

Hope this helps.
Linden, Michigan
Old 10-24-2012

Thanks Robert. I haven't had time to crawl under my coach yet,so I haven't traced out the airline, but I will since you mentioned the air dryer.
Old 10-24-2012

William,

On the '95 there is a plugged off fitting at the back of the same bay and on the same wall as that air hose outlet. The plugged connection is for the air compressor, so I would hope it goes into the system prior to the air dryer. Maybe yours is the same.