Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 04-06-2015

Thumbs down Updates

Well, guess I need to reevaluate....

Last edited by Perpendicular; 04-06-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2015
Timberlake Products Group

?? All I can say at this point is this Paul, all you have really done is create a potential shock hazard. Please carefully read all you can with regard to neutral bonding. And, don't use this set up until you get your head wrapped around the dangers of improper neutral bonding.

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup

Last edited by Turbokitty; 04-06-2015 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Safety second I guess?
Old 04-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokitty View Post
?? All I can say at this point is this Paul, all you have really done is create a potential shock hazard. Please carefully read all you can with regard to neutral bonding. And, don't use this set up until you get your head wrapped around the dangers of improper neutral bonding.
Ryan:

First off, thank you for looking over my setup ! Any and all eyes are good for double checking I am always happy to learn more

Second, I didn't do any neutral bonding anywhere that I can tell. Everything is completely separated in the panels per code. I was scared that I had and did my research after you posted to verify and nothing is bonded anywhere that I have touched. I will actually take everything back apart to make sure though - I need to make sure for my own piece of mind now that you question it.

Again, thank you for the insight, Ryan!
Old 04-06-2015

Paul,

The idea of a buddy plug has been discussed in these parts before and unfortunately some people choose to ignore sound concern/advise and put themselves in harms way electrically speaking. Some type replies that basically say "yadda, yadda, yadda"... I am not talking about you, but a few others choose to not heed sound NEC advice I have found myself saying nothing lately but thought I would chime in on your install not to be crass but to voice concern about safety.

Some generator manufacturers like Honda have a switch to bond/un-bond the generator based on the needed application. In your pictures it appeared(?) that on your 30 amp female plug you had the white wire (neutral) and the copper wire (which I assumed came from the outlets ground connection?) were tied together at the buss bar? If so, this became a bonding point. As someone stated earlier, there should be only one bonding point in a particular system be it at the main panel in a home or at the generator in a coach etc.

Why the concern one might ask? Well, a coach with a generator has the potential to be a big 100 amp frying pan sitting up on 4/6/8 nice big rubber isolators called tires. If there was even a small amount of backfeed/short somewhere down the pike from power to neutral it could feed back to the coach creating a live neutral condition. Example: on an all metal bird, someone could be standing on the grass/dirt/earth in their bare feet, touch the side of the coach and get shocked while the coach was back feeding a house or other RV with a fault issue. I have personally seen it happen and with a child being shocked no less.

To be installed properly, a buddy plug would have to include a switch to bond/un-bond at the generator based on the application. Clear as mud, har!? Bottom line is a "Buddy Plug" isn't as easy as one would think, sorry

One of many neutral bonding reads: http://www.norwall.com/blog/generato...trical-ground/

My apologies for coming across harshly earlier

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
Clearwater, Florida

Last edited by Turbokitty; 04-06-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2015

No apologies needed! Like I said before, I am all about learning from mistakes. Be it mine or others.

No, the pictures showed that and I totally see what you are saying. They were not bound although the pictures seemed that they did. White is on it's own buss, BELOW the copper buss which is separated.

I really appreciate all of the help! The knowledge of the group is what makes it family. And I wish my family was this way - the way it should be.

I ask questions to prevent issues! Not to feed my ego
Old 04-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
No apologies needed! Like I said before, I am all about learning from mistakes. Be it mine or others.

No, the pictures showed that and I totally see what you are saying. They were not bound although the pictures seemed that they did. White is on it's own buss, BELOW the copper buss which is separated.

I really appreciate all of the help! The knowledge of the group is what makes it family. And I wish my family was this way - the way it should be.

I ask questions to prevent issues! Not to feed my ego
You're a good man Paul. Again, sorry for the bluntness I am glad for the WOG family too! Believe me, I have unsuspectedly performed a few "Boner's" in my illustrious Bird career

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
Clearwater, Florida
Old 04-07-2015

So, last night we got to test out everything with the little Shasta - worked perfectly!

Thanks again to all for the help and comments