Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 03-21-2016
Wannabe

Default New to us '84 PT40 in Central Alabama - local advice?

Hi All,

Lee Lindsay found a great '84 PT40 at auction last week and we are now grappling with what I suspect many new Wanderlodge owners go through. We have an amazing and very large machine to learn about, and are a little overwhelmed.

We spent the weekend cleaning out storage bays and reading over much of the documentation that was fortunately retained in the blue box. Helpful as that is, there is no replacement for having someone with experience take a look and go over some basics with us in person.

The BB is currently parked at a local state park (Ft. Toulouse - near Wetumpka, just North of Montgomery) for a few days, since there we have access to hookups not available at home. Is there is anyone in the vicinity of Central Alabama willing to spend a little time with Lee going over critical systems in person? Or perhaps you know of a good mechanic in the region who would work with us?

The most pressing issue at the moment is the generator. We know the generator was running at the auction site. While in transit to the state park, the generator tray slid out a few inches and now will not retract. Lee was able to get it extended out a foot or two just by pulling on it. We also are not able to get the generator started despite having read through manuals and many of the threads here on the forum. Concerned about trying to drive the coast to another location and risk that big heavy generator tray go sliding out unpredictably.

We look forward to getting to know many of you and will try to migrate over to using Lee's new account on this forum soon.

Thanks again to many of you who have been in touch in the past with advice and words of encouragement. This a terrific community and the forum is invaluable.

Cheers,

Kathleen (and Lee Lindsay)

Wetumpka, Alabama
Old 03-21-2016

If the generator is like mine, the lock handle has to be completely open for the generator to go in or out. Try having someone hold the chrome handle as close to the center as possible while you operate the in out switch. On my 6V92 with a Perkins generator, that handle is very sensitive.

When you have it completely retracted, move the handle to the left and lock it in. You should have a light on the dash that will go out when the generator door is locked.
Old 03-21-2016

Kathleen and Lee,
I'm in Decatur Al and I have a 83 PT 40. If I can be of any assistance please let me know. You can PM me if you want to swap contact info.

Lance and Terry Wilson
Decatur, Al
1994 WB
1979 FC31
1983 PT40 (Sold)
Lance.wilson59@gmail.com
386-785-5551
Old 03-22-2016
Wannabe

Thanks for the generator tray suggestion, Stick Miller. We have tried a number of position on that handle, but will give it another shot. As far as we could tell, all that front handle does is move the locking pins on the side of the tray.

Lance, we may head up your way for a cruise before too long. My Dad lives in Huntsville.

Kathleen

Wetumpka, Alabama
Old 03-22-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKNash View Post
Thanks for the generator tray suggestion, Stick Miller. We have tried a number of position on that handle, but will give it another shot. As far as we could tell, all that front handle does is move the locking pins on the side of the tray.

Lance, we may head up your way for a cruise before too long. My Dad lives in Huntsville.

Kathleen
I would not move that coach again until the generator tray is securely locked in place. Those generators are heavy and have fallen into the road when over extended. If you cant get the pins to lock in place, use a come-a-long or cable or something strong enough to keep it from falling out.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-22-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I would not move that coach again until the generator tray is securely locked in place. Those generators are heavy and have fallen into the road when over extended. If you cant get the pins to lock in place, use a come-a-long or cable or something strong enough to keep it from falling out.
What Rick Said......very easy to secure with a ratchet strap. I secured mine while I rebuilt the ball & screw actuator.
Old 03-22-2016

Kathleen,
You guys are welcome to come by anytime.

Lance and Terry Wilson
Decatur, Al
1994 WB
1979 FC31
1983 PT40 (Sold)
Lance.wilson59@gmail.com
386-785-5551
Old 03-22-2016
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKNash View Post

Kathleen
Hi Kathleen,

It's been a while since I had my 84 1/2 but if I remember correctly, there are one or two limit switches that the front handle mechanism trips when it is in the latched and un-latched positions. You may have a problem with an adjustment or a bad limit switch, bent bracket, broken wire, etc. not giving permission for the generator slide to move.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001