BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > Forum Help

Forum Help Get help here if you're having trouble using the forum

Site Search:

Old 11-01-2009
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Default IRFANVIEW Image Resizing Program

During the WOG forum Tech Talk at RATS 2009 the subject of resizing pictures for posting on the Forum came up. I mentioned that there is a very good image viewer called “IRFANVIEW” that is available as a free down load on the internet and John Finn asked me to post some information about it here.

I have used several revisions of this program over the years to view and convert pictures to different sizes and/or formats, etc. IRAFANVIEW allows you to resize a single high resolution picture or large groups of high resolution pictures to an appropriate resolution in just a matter of seconds. For example if you took 20 high resolution pictures with your camera that were about 4 MB each and you wanted to post them in a lower resolution, IRFANVIEW can convert them in just a few seconds. It also lets you easily view individual pictures or set up and run slide shows from the picture files on your computer. Simply stated I’ve been using IRFANVIEW for about 10 years and it’s one of the best and most powerful image handling programs that I have come across and it has the added benefit of being free.

You can go to the link below to learn more or to download the program.

http://www.irfanview.com/
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 11-01-2009

I'll second that, irfanview is a great free program. As good or better than programs you can pay lots of $$ for!
If you really want to do some stuff with photos use GIMP:
WWW.gimp.org

Like Photoshop, with a steep learning curve, but free...

/Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 11-01-2009
Geek

My mind probably works in different ways than others (but then again, don't we all), so many years ago I wrote my own image viewer that I still use. Originally 16-bit, then a 32-bit version. I sold it for about 10 years, but stopped selling it in 2002 and just issue serial numbers on request. Still get many requests per month, so there must be some subset with minds that work like mine!

It will do image resizing, including batch method, and has one of the better JPG compression engines around (they are NOT all the same - compare file sizes vs artifacting in various ones you use - PhotoShop happens to be one of the worst).

In any case, if anyone wants to try it, you can find it at http://www.arcatapet.net/imgv32.cfm - nothing to lose, because like IrfanView it is free.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 11-01-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Thanks for all of the tips. I have added a link to this thread in the Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > Forum Features > How can I add a photo to the body of my message? UPDATED INFORMATION which is one of the topics that we discussed in the WOG forum workshop at RATS.

One more tip is an easy one, look at the menu on your digital camera or phone and see if it has an IMAGE SIZE or RESOLUTION setting and set it to the smallest one before you take the picture and that will take care of the size problem, experimenting with the size settings may be needed, before arriving at the ideal size. On my Sony digital camera I can choose from as big as 2560x1920 to as small as 640x840 with that smallest setting being the best right out of the camera to use with results like this below when used in the body of a posted message or when used just as an attachment;

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06369.JPG
Views:	512
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	9276  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11