Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 02-22-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

I have modified the title of this thread to reflect its content and it is also STUCK now so that it will be easier to find.

If anybody has taken a photo of the relay in question please post it in a reply to this thread.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-08-2012

My genny decided not to start, but it goes through the timing click, click, click and then tries to start by does not. Jumped the battery and it fired right up. should I replace the battery or is it a charging issue. battery looks new and connections are perfect. where is the switch to start the genny from the coach batteries???
2001 LX ME 40
2003 Lexus SC 430
2008 F450 Super Duty
2011 Silverado 1500
Old 07-08-2012
prone to wandering

Norm, have you tried to start it from the unit itself? There is a start circuit on the unit. This will isolate any possible remote switch issues.
Next is to check the battery/charging system, the first thing to do is put a meter on the battery when the generator is running and see if it is charging. If it is charging it should be running at 13 to 14 volts. If it is charging fine the battery may be your culprit. Remove the battery and charge it overnight, if you don't have a load tester take it to your local auto parts store once charged and they will test it for you.
I do not know of any switch to start the generator from the coach batteries on an LX, let me know if you find one.
jimdoel@me.com
Old 09-08-2012

I have question , If someone overfills the OIL say 12 quarts instead of 8.5 Would the Motor Blow up ? Or just shut down

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 10-06-2016

Default Relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post
OK, it's amazing how much good information one can get just by calling the companies.

I talked with Jeff Jones at Powertech. He told me to take off the cover to the control box (big rectangular box on the top in the front)and look inside and fine a clear yellow tinted relay. This is the generator stop/shutoff relay. He said it was designed originally to prevent someone (like grandkids) from trying to start the generator while it was already running. He said those relays tended to quit after awhile so they don't even use them anymore. Attached to it are 2 blue wires, one black wire and one white wire. He told me to take off the two blue wires, cut off the connector ends and butt splice them together, effectively bypassing that relay.

Preheated the generator, it cranks up no problem.

Excellent! Even dummies can fix some things.

Now back to installing the connector I bought for the heater hose that was leaking. I sure hope that puddle I'll have to lay in dries out before this afternoon.
Is it possible that this relay can also cause the generator to "ghost start " ?

We washed the coach today and a little later I noticed the house batteries were low . I flipped the breaker to turn on the battery charger and heard a horrible noise at the front of the coach . Turns out the generator was trying to turn over. I unplugged the shoreline , started the generator and everything seemed normal . Turned off the generator , plugged in the shoreline and everything was working fine . This evening , I go outside and hear the generator running . Turned it off and a few minutes later it started up again . I disconnected the remote start plug and the wire that activates the starter solenoid . I noticed some water in the control box too .
Just wandering if anyone else has had this issue .
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 10-06-2016

On your gen ghost start:

Check all 4 switches that can remote start the generator. Under kitchen sink, drivers dash board, basement under drivers window (where the power slide switch is), and on generator panel (same panel the relay was). See if any wires look like they are shorting together, and that the rocker switches move freely and don't stick.

Since there was water in your control panel, I would start there as the cause. Blot the water out, and hit it with a little WD40 and blot again. There are hot brass leads in the bottom of the control box - likely shorting across.

Try and figure out how water got in the control box. There should be a open drain hole in the bottom as well. There were openings on my control box back side and bottom - and a mouse moved in made a mess. I glued some metal screen on the outside to cover those holes. (still drains and air flow).

A 1994 BMC generator "shouldn't" have a auto start for low battery - unless a previous owner installed one. If they did, there should be a control panel for it somewhere.
Old 10-07-2016

This morning I removed the clear relay's cover and cleaned it with electronics cleaner , sealed it with dia-electrical grease and relocated it slightly to prevent contact with water . Next I cleaned the remote start plug and sealed it as well . So far the generator has not started itself again . Maybe its fixed , we'll see .
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 10-07-2016

Default Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7880 View Post
On your gen ghost start:

Check all 4 switches that can remote start the generator. Under kitchen sink, drivers dash board, basement under drivers window (where the power slide switch is), and on generator panel (same panel the relay was). See if any wires look like they are shorting together, and that the rocker switches move freely and don't stick.

Since there was water in your control panel, I would start there as the cause. Blot the water out, and hit it with a little WD40 and blot again. There are hot brass leads in the bottom of the control box - likely shorting across.

Try and figure out how water got in the control box. There should be a open drain hole in the bottom as well. There were openings on my control box back side and bottom - and a mouse moved in made a mess. I glued some metal screen on the outside to cover those holes. (still drains and air flow).

A 1994 BMC generator "shouldn't" have a auto start for low battery - unless a previous owner installed one. If they did, there should be a control panel for it somewhere.
The top is not sealing well. I will fix this with a little silicone and that should keep the water out .
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
1986 F150
KE5WCW