Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 06-23-2017
Redneck quadder

Default Battery/solar upgrade

Seems it is time to replace the batteries in my Bird. The previous owner had changed them in 2012 I believe and I was hoping to a couple more years out of them given that they are plugged in all the time.

Turns out that what the ProSine panel was reading was not the actual voltage being put out by the ProSine. .4 (point 4) volt under, so they have never been properly charged.

I've been down the AGM route before with 8 of 8D and 2 Outback VFX2812 inverters in my old work truck which lasted for 8 years....so given the cost of those vs life vs flooded I am going to go with 6 Surrette L16's.

Solar will be 6 320 watt Hansol panels, I may go to 9 possibly.

Inverter will be changed to a Magnasine MS2812 along with using other MS products, the MPPT, battery monitoring kit and remote panel.

Along with this will be 3 disconnects. 1 for the inverter, 1 for coach load and 1 for the starter.

Fuses will also be added.

This year the batteries will be done along with the inverter probably using the old wiring as I'm running out of time, but it will work fine given the loads I use.

Pics coming as progress begins
Old 06-24-2017
Redneck quadder

While I was dealing with other joys today I ran a couple of 10/2's. One is for the connection to the new inverter as it will draw 18 amps at 120v when producing 125 amps charge.

The other is to feed the electric hot water heater which I might connect using a contactor with NO/NC contacts like the exisiting inverter circuit that BlueBird did.

I figure the battery and solar capacity will be enough on paper, but we will see what happens in reality.

Old 06-25-2017

Looks like an interesting and robust install. Look forward to seeing your progress.
trideet@gmail.com
Old 06-25-2017

Duncan

If you haven't already, recommend you check out my M380 All Electric Conversion thread - http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...t=25074&page=6

Around post 53 is where I get around to installing a completely new battery system. After lots of deliberation about lithiums I ended up staying with lead. Like you I chose L 16's but went with Full River AGM's. So far, am very happy with their performance. I also put a large solar array on the roof like you are planning. Chose to go with smaller 60 cell panels for both aesthetics and because they are easier to install. Didn't want them placed way up in the air above the coach or hanging over the sides. I love seeing the surprise when I tell someone I have 1.4 kW of solar on the roof . Whichever battery type you go with, make sure to contact the battery manufacturer and obtain their optimum charging profile. Do not simply use time! The Magnum MS2812 can be custom configured to end the absorption phase when the battery is actually fully charged. Failure to do this will dramatically reduce your battery life. Since you have the Magnum already, I hope you consider the PT100 solar charge controller instead of what everyone typically uses. Those two boxes work perfectly together with the remote control head and the single PT100 cost is the same or less than multiple Midnight Classics, when installing larger watt systems.

I wish you all the best with your project!
Old 06-26-2017
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Ranger View Post

Solar will be 6 320 watt Hansol panels, I may go to 9 possibly.
How many solar controllers are you going to use?

Check your specs on using 6x 320w panels (1920 watts) or 9x 320w panels.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 06-26-2017
Redneck quadder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbutt62 View Post
Looks like an interesting and robust install. Look forward to seeing your progress.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
Duncan

If you haven't already, recommend you check out my M380 All Electric Conversion thread - http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...t=25074&page=6

Around post 53 is where I get around to installing a completely new battery system. After lots of deliberation about lithiums I ended up staying with lead. Like you I chose L 16's but went with Full River AGM's. So far, am very happy with their performance. I also put a large solar array on the roof like you are planning. Chose to go with smaller 60 cell panels for both aesthetics and because they are easier to install. Didn't want them placed way up in the air above the coach or hanging over the sides. I love seeing the surprise when I tell someone I have 1.4 kW of solar on the roof . Whichever battery type you go with, make sure to contact the battery manufacturer and obtain their optimum charging profile. Do not simply use time! The Magnum MS2812 can be custom configured to end the absorption phase when the battery is actually fully charged. Failure to do this will dramatically reduce your battery life. Since you have the Magnum already, I hope you consider the PT100 solar charge controller instead of what everyone typically uses. Those two boxes work perfectly together with the remote control head and the single PT100 cost is the same or less than multiple Midnight Classics, when installing larger watt systems.

I wish you all the best with your project!
Thanks and I will have a read, also all of the connected devices will be Magnasine products. I learned a long time ago using Outback that it's preferable and easier to do that.
Being electrical contractors with off grid experience we like easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
How many solar controllers are you going to use?

Check your specs on using 6x 320w panels (1920 watts) or 9x 320w panels.
Initially the plan will be one PT100 which can outlput 100 amps maximum.

Also, doing some measuring today I'm leaning towards 8 with each pair wired in series and the 4 sets paralleled....as well as that, i'm not keen on approaching the breaker 150 volt limit.

So the 8 panels would theoretically supply 2560 watts. The reality with where I live, where I go and the fact that they will be simply flat might yield me 60% of that on a good day, so perhaps 1540 watts useable.

So using Rolls' specs which call for a 15 volt bulk and absorb charge that would be 102 amps....minus the 1% loss in the effeciency would be right at that 100 amps

The PT can take more but will only output that 100 amps max. So I will see what I record for charging.

If it turns out that I'm leaving capacity on the table then I will add another controller.
Old 07-05-2017

Interesting project. Looking forward for more updates and pictures.
Old 07-25-2017
Redneck quadder

On a couple of positive notes, boiling the snot out of my existing batteries a few times has resulted in them being way more happy which buys me time for not having to change them, rebuild the battery tray etc. before a rapidly approaching trip.

The other positive is that one of my electrical suppliers is branching out into off grid inverters/batteries, presently they only carry grid tie and panels so this will work out very well as they are looking to carry Magnasine.
Old 05-20-2018
Redneck quadder

An short update. Decided to say screw it for the solar for now.
The reality is that the Bird is only used for my quadding escapades and where we camp is nowhere near civilization.

It might see 20 nights per year.

So.....I have ordered 4 Matrix 440 amp/hr L16 AGM units. I will happily draw them down to 80% DOD.

Given the total number of cycles I will put them through over 7 to 10 years will come nowhere close to what they are rated for.

Kinda like tires timing out before mileing out.

So leaving the genny run all day seems a no brainer....no I don't care what the fuel costs, in the big picture it's trivial.

Hot water seems to hold for over 24 hours so that's not an issue.
Old 05-21-2018

I installed 6 rolls 550-l16 last year - could have got by with 4 but wife and I both are not to good at power conservation... I can say we dry camped a lot over the past 12 months and even with aquahot running all nite no problems always had power in the morning I would run genny a couple hours in the morning and all was well..
good luck with your projects
mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.