Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 05-23-2018

Default Heating water with a Webasto conversion

I absolutely love my bird (91 WB 40'), it is one continual project. 18 months ago I removed the Primus system and converted to a Webasto. What I didn't wire for specifically at the time was heating water while dry camping with no shore power and a dominantly electric water heater.

For my conversion, I used the Primus wiring but not the head units. The boards were not reliable. Power instead runs through a toggle up front to a thermostat at mid coach. This of course allows power to the relays in back when needed via the setting and works perfect for heating the coach in the winter. But in the summer when no heat is needed, and I'm not hooked to shore power, the Webasto (as was the Primus) is the heat source for the water. I'm assuming that I would utilize the summer winter valve to direct coolant from the Webasto to the water heater loop only, shutting off coolant to the coach heat. But how would I thermostatically control the Webasto to cycle when the water reaches, or drops below temperature so that it's not constantly running?

As usual, I'm looking forward to your thoughts and experiences.

Gerry
Old 05-23-2018
Forum owner

I would just fire the genny up and heat some water while charging the batteries.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-23-2018

I agree. I have Webasto, and have thought of ways to do this. I have a new water heater with unused second loop.
Even with installation of 1200 watts solar, I have decided running the generator is best way to go.
Generator needs to be exercised anyway, and this is one way to do it.

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 05-23-2018

Your existing water heater has a thermostat that can be used for exactly what you want. It used used to go to one of the Primus head units. (At least it did from the factory.)

But what I'm not sure about is the type of thermostat. If it's a snap-disc type switch, it could be used with a toggle/selector switch to replace your room thermostat when heating water. But if it's a thermistor style temperature sensor (similar to what was used by the Primus room temp sensor), then you would need some simple circuitry to turn that in to an ON-OFF signal to send to the Webasto. The Atwood manual, or the Primus manual/schematic may help answer this question.
Old 05-24-2018

Thanks Mose. I'll definitely want to check into that. And, did you really name your coach "Dave"?
Old 05-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debugjaws View Post
Thanks Mose. I'll definitely want to check into that. And, did you really name your coach "Dave"?
He prefers that over David....
Old 05-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose View Post
He prefers that over David....
Hmmm ... I guess I'll have to name ours now.
Old 05-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose View Post
Your existing water heater has a thermostat that can be used for exactly what you want. It used used to go to one of the Primus head units. (At least it did from the factory.)

But what I'm not sure about is the type of thermostat. If it's a snap-disc type switch, it could be used with a toggle/selector switch to replace your room thermostat when heating water. But if it's a thermistor style temperature sensor (similar to what was used by the Primus room temp sensor), then you would need some simple circuitry to turn that in to an ON-OFF signal to send to the Webasto. The Atwood manual, or the Primus manual/schematic may help answer this question.
Just for fun I checked my Primus, the water heater sensor seems to be a thermistor... It measured ~5k8 ohms. That seems about right for a thermistor.

Just curious, but why dont people keep the primus control panel when installing a wabasto? You would have the water heater and engine preheat which seems to be lost in the conversion...??

/Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 05-27-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by konehd View Post
Just for fun I checked my Primus, the water heater sensor seems to be a thermistor... It measured ~5k8 ohms. That seems about right for a thermistor.

Just curious, but why dont people keep the primus control panel when installing a wabasto? You would have the water heater and engine preheat which seems to be lost in the conversion...??

/Joe
most folks do its a nice control system I would guess some may not relies how easy the install diesel burner if do use it and maybe some have problem with it and just bypass it but I've been in on a few and I use existing control even if we had to repair something
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 05-28-2018

Ya,

But both the OP and a response didn't do it that way... IIRC Stephen has control panels if one goes bad. The old ones use pretty common components and should be reparable!

YMMV ;}

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!