Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 08-26-2019

Default Smart Phase Selector - AMSolar

This popped up on one of the Facebook boards that I follow and to me it looked interesting. I wanted to share and hear some of the thoughts of our guys/gals that are smarter than me in the electrical design on it. Truthfully, I'm not even sure this is an issue with the way our coaches are wired.

This is for 50AMP coaches with Hybrid Inverters only that perform pass through and boost functions.

Quote:
  • The SPS does not add any power to the system. You are still limited by what shore power and the inverter can provide. In other words, if you aren’t plugged into a 50A service you will not get 50A on line 1 and 50A line 2 that you can draw from simultaneously. You aren’t going to be able to run two air conditioners from a single inverter while dry camping.
  • The SPS allows AC “PowerAssist” or "Hybrid" functionality on 50 amp RVs. This allows you to plug your RV into a 15A outlet and use power like you had 30 amps, allowing the inverter to supply the loads exceeding 15A from the batteries while preventing the breaker from popping. The same thing applies to 30A service allowing you to use up to 50 amps of power.
  • The SPS allows a 50A coach to have inverted power supplied to all outlets and AC loads.
  • The SPS simplifies the install removing the need for the AC panel to be completely rewired or having an AC subpanel installed.
  • The Smart Phase Selector has two modes of operation. When on 50A power (2-phase), The SPS will pass power from both legs allowing L1 to supply the inverter, the inverter to supply power to L1 at the main panel while L2 supplies the main panel directly. On a 30A or less service (Single Phase), The SPS cuts off L2 at the input and supplies L1 power to the inverter which then supplies both legs of the AC panel. In this scenario, your whole coach is limited to 50A max. You can pull 30A from shore and the inverter can supply another 20A from the batteries. This is regulated using the inverter system’s current limiter.
    When used with a single phase generator, the coach’s max AC output will be limited to 50A.
  • Most 12KW generators produce dual phase power which would allow the output to exceed 50A. In this scenario, the inverter can charge the batteries or drain them to assist L1 while L2 is supplied directly from the generator.
https://amsolar.com/rv-inverter-accessories/50-tsfmb1
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Smart+Automatic+ATS+Explained.pdf (27.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: pdf Smart+Phase+Selector+Diagram.pdf (1.51 MB, 10 views)
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 08-26-2019

Addendum:
Apparently dual phase is a weakness of Victron Inverters.
I was looking at the documentation for my Xantrex inverter and it can handle split phase input and output directly. I haven't owned a Magnum, but I think they have the same setup as Xantrex. So while the Victron has some great features, to run split phase it appears to need a device like this Smart Phase Selector.
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map

Last edited by Kiwi3; 08-26-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2019

Not sure you are correct on the Victron units. See attached brochure. I've been talking to them and find a lot of reasons to go with their products over others like Magnum, such as the ability to monitor things remotely using your phone or computer. The sales guy I talked with used to work for Magnum for many years prior to switching to Victron.
VB 1570
Old 08-26-2019

I'm with you Markus. I was actually thinking of pulling my Xantrex system out and putting a Victron in. I really like the way all their components talk to each other and you can have it all on the Color Control Screen or onine via the web. But even the document that you posted mentions that you would need two Victrons to do spilt phase. The only installation that I've seen that is 50AMP is the 5th Wheel that Getaway Couple have, and they have two inverters. I mean it might be nice to have two 3000W inverters, just need to have the room for them.
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 08-26-2019

It's possibly useful in the situation they listed - 15a shore power and 3kw inverter on battery. It makes the hybrid inverter sync its AC frequency with the shore power so you can draw power from both at the same time. The other benefits listed don't amount to much. A dogbone does the rest of it.

As far as split-phase (it's not 2-phase, btw) 120/240 goes, there are a lot of inverters that can be wired together to provide this, but it's not really needed in most cases. I'm running the MS4448PAE that does split phase by itself, so I just run the whole main panel from it.