Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 08-31-2019

Default Onan 8.0 control box switch wiring

Hello,

A person helping me with some work unplugged the connectors to the start stop switch, dc control and charging breakers, and fault breaker in the control box of my dkd. A new fuel pump was added atnthis time
It seemed the breakers and switches were reconnected wrong as following the work the generator would turn over, pause a second, and then start and run with the fault breaker popped.

To resolve the issue, I have been working off the attached schematic, which may be wrong, but it did come form Onan based on my model and serial. I’m my attempts to wire these switches correctly I have encountered the following issue

I thought I had it wired correctly, pre heat switch worked, it fired up. However after shutdown the fuel pump engaged along with the throttle relay. One thing I haven’t checked that I just thought of was the wiring to the fuel pump, but I’m sure that should be correct.

I took it back apart and triple checked the wiring.

Now, every time I attach the wire that (according to the schematic) jumpers down from the preheat switch to the right connector on the dc control breaker, the fuel pump and solenoid is engaging. This wire appears to be a ground.

Previously, I hardwired the multiwire connector on the back , so I doubt the issue is in the back of the box.

It’s got me stumped, so before I drive the bus over to a fellow bird owners house how is better at wiring than I am, I thought I would post the issue here, Incase anyone has any ideas I can bring to the party

Thanks.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2F59B319-23FD-4DBA-923E-3A7D381E9354.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	63809  
Old 09-01-2019

Wanted to add another question to this thread.

Could a bad relay result in one wire on the dc control breaker shorting to ground, causing the fuel pump to engage when both wires are connected to the control breaker.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2019

Did you figure out your problem yet ?

I don’t think shorting to ground would have killed the relay.

If your still trying to figure out your breakers I could take a few pictures of mine, if you think it may help.
The wires also have some info printed on them if you look real close.
Old 09-03-2019

Thanks for the replly.

I can manage to read the names on the wires by taking pictures.

With all the messing around.in the box I somehow didn’t notice the detached ceramic resistor from the control board hidden in the back. Yet another thing that has rattled off over the years.

I may need to order an after market board from flight systems, but I’m going to try a new resistor first. I’m not convinced this is the only issue, but will continue to update the thread.

FOR THOSE WITH A DKD.
Check the attachment of the large ceramic resistor. Mine appeared to have glue that let go.
I’m attaching some pictures,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A2F9BD74-34D5-49C9-B4ED-2F5AA8198B54.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	63872   Click image for larger version

Name:	6F6A5D88-9453-4001-818B-1394B0B571EA.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	63873  
Old 09-06-2019

Update on this project.

After running through the troubleshooting steps in the service manual we were able to diagnose a bad control board.

After pulling the board and testing it we were able to diagnose relay A11-k12 as bad. This is the bright yellow sealed 6v relay pictured towards the top of the board. It
allows power to flow fuel pump and throttle solenoid when the engine is running.

It’s a relay that wasn’t really designed for the type of duties it’s perfornng, which is most likely why it’s the only component that’s different on the flight systems board.

We ordered a pack of four replacement relays similar to those found on fight systems for 15 dollars, so there will be a few extra if anyone else decides to repair their board. One will also need to change out the small resistor to accommodate the new relay.

For those interested only other relay on this board isnthe clear yellow Relay A11-k15 (starter protection). After this relay gets AC power from the generator it cuts off power to the starter switch

In the service manual the board is designated unserviceable, but it’s a pretty simple circuit with only 4 components, so we will see what happens, and document the repair when the part comes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AZ2150-1A-6...ss!54401!US!-1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	142A2813-CC43-4BBF-BE0C-6A7FEB0BBDCE.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	63942  
Old 09-06-2019
Forum owner

Thanks for posting!
I love when you guys fix this stuff.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-16-2019

Default Project complete

Board repair complete reinstalled and working!

We had to buy three relays, and 4 extra resistors for the project if anyone decides to brave the repair spare parts are available.

It is possible my buddy would hire out to mod a few boards with the parts I bought. Would most likely be around 100 though.

Happy to share more information on the repair if anyone’s interested.

Pictures fell most of the story.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2D1F8416-C415-4840-9727-ABF9F2ACA4A2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	64177   Click image for larger version

Name:	1CE81314-E9A4-4550-8F52-0E68A4AAAD78.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	64178  
Old 09-17-2019

Unserviceable,

Awesome job. No such thing. My old man took apart anything that didn't work and fix it (99%). So my wife's new dog just got the TV remote. Chewed it down to the first set of top buttons. Lucky she spit out the I/R diode. I had to guess about a few of the circuit board traces she chewed up. I used 22 gauge wire to fix the top of the board. sawed it even around the top and filled the end with epoxy. Before we fixed it, I hope we taught her a lesson with it lol. She is a pup and we left her out, so it's our fault. She chewer.

With an old school oscilloscope, maybe a logic probe and a meter you can fix about anything, if you understand circuits. Its when they pot (seal) the boards its a pain.

Same dog got behind the new sofa and chewed up the low voltage control circuit box, board and all. it has electric recliners. Took me a while, but I fixed the bundle of wires, the board and put it all in a metal box.

She told me the lady who gave her the pup came over for coffee, before I got up. I hoped she gave the **** dog back. Nope, got up and she is sleeping like a baby next to me grrr.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835