Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default What model Rear Axle?

I have a 1978 FC33 RB and the rear axle model is listed as L155 px28, but I can't seem to find anything on the old interwebs about that. Does anybody know what model that axle is? The only thing I know is it has a 5.29 ratio and I'd like to change that to a 4.88
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WanderlodgeFCOwners/
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyrb View Post
I have a 1978 FC33 RB and the rear axle model is listed as L155 px28, but I can't seem to find anything on the old interwebs about that. Does anybody know what model that axle is? The only thing I know is it has a 5.29 ratio and I'd like to change that to a 4.88
That's a lot of money to spend for an 8% increase in speed, at 60 mph that's only 4.8 mph. You could look into changing out your rear tires with a taller tire when they need replacement. Even if you have to go to a 24.5 wheel it may be the way to go? Something to research.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 4 Weeks Ago

thanks. any idea of the axle model?
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I have 4.88's and the bus does well pulling a trailer and climbing. If I needed new gears I would go taller, 4.11's? I would like to keep the engine under 2500rpm while cruising above 65mph.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyrb View Post
thanks. any idea of the axle model?
To answer your question... I believe it’s Rockwell. Most of the PTs are Rockwell and just did a quick search and came up with this which shows a Rockwell L155:
https://www.google.com/search?q=rock...obile&ie=UTF-8

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740

http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

Ryan,how many miles have you put on the Bird this year?
Or since ownership?
On the NA engine,when you go to a high speed rearend ratio you lose off the line big time.
My SiL had a turbo 84FC and she got in some soft sand and it would not move,it would just sit there and not even spin the tires.
The converter sure as heck did get hot though.
She had a 4.11
If the coach is not fast enoungh for the interstates,take back roads.
The money you will spend is a years worth of fuel for you i bet.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

To some of us it's all about the power and speed. When I had my '78, I also wanted it to be faster, and I was looking at a two speed or ratio change, I knew that I would never recoup my money, but, when your a gearhead you don't think logically.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

definitely a gear head here (I frequently swap engines / transmissions / tcases / rear axles on most of my vehicles). Built around 85 vehicles over the years, and always enjoy tinkering. Slow speed to me is like slow painful stabbing death. Yeah, I know, why buy an old bus if you don't like slow speeds.....dig the look and everything else about them. A 2-speed rear end sounds like it would be the best of both worlds and get me what I need without an engine swap. Or a brownie box. But I also like planning ahead for when an engine or trans needs to be replaced, and prefer to buy the ideal combo ahead of time and have it built / ready on the garage floor.

Randy, to answer your questions, I've put a couple hundred on it since ownership. Don't have lots of travel time at the moment, but again planning ahead and getting the bird dialed in for what I want for when i do have the time. I will say that I enjoyed the **** out of the miles I have put down, but want a better top end. Backroads are an option if you are retired and have unlimited free time. But with middle-school aged kits and a wife that works (plus my job), getting to the destination as quickly as possible allows for more relaxing time. And spending a year's worth of fuel for a swap that will get me what I want isn't a bad price to pay, especially when I plan on many years of lots of miles (I always run spreadsheets so I know what my break-even point is). Some of my diesel swaps were 2-3 years of DD to break even, but after that I saved money and it was worth it. ****, i buy my TP and other household supplies in 6-month to 1-year quantities at a time to save money over time
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I also looked at all the options with our 82 FC. Non turbo just doesn't get it accomplished. What you gain in gearing up speed is more than lost in other areas. Loved our 82 but sold it and bought a BMC 37 for the very reasons you state. If the FC had the BMC drivetrain there wouldn't be any for sale!
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I found a few 5.9L cummins engines mated to MT643 5-speeds recently. That plus a 2-spd rear would be awesome. I know a lot of folks would do what you've done, and upgrade to another rig that has what you want. But I'm doing this on a budget, and sadly, changing the drivetrain is easier / cheaper for me than buying a newer more expensive rig. Plus, with all the work I've already put into this one, I have many things the way I want it (that I'd have to re-do on another rig).