Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 05-12-2010

Gardner. Yes I do have the 12.5.
The reason I'd have to run both together, is to get 160 amps of charging, if the Alternator failed on the main engine, as I have a bunch of lights on the bus/trailer.
Old 05-13-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Jim,

I experienced the same situation with an alternator failure on my CAT, fortunately I was just a short distance from my local bus repair facility KEN'S REPAIR (2 lOCATIONS) SOUTH CAROLINA so the batteries got me there, but it woke me up to a possible scenario that could leave me without sufficient battery power in the future, here is what I did.

On my 'Bird there were originally two of the TRIAD 45 amp model Battery Charger/Converters mounted next to each other in one of the outside compartments, these "Battery Boilers" as they are sometimes referred to are old technology and very heavy, some 'Bird owners tend to just replace them with newer technology units and then either throw them away, or let them sit in the corner gathering dust, in one of the articles found in this directory TRIAD CHARGER FILES/ I talk about repairing the old Battery Boiler to use as an extra charger, but below I describe how I decided to use the one that my friend repaired for me to use whenever I'm dry camping or in an emergency as a backup for a failed alternator, while using the generator to power the Triad and my new Progressive Dynamics 80 AMP Battery Charger / Converter to charge the batteries, with a more convenient hookup here is what I did.

I forgot to mention that I can leave the Battery Boiler plugged into the buddy plug and then turn it On and Off using the On/Off switch that Clay had already installed on it.

If you decide to discard them for some new technology model(s) then bring them to a rally and offer them either up for sale, or give them away at the flea market, they can always be used as a battery charger around the shop.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-16-2010
Gardner

Just an update:
I replaced the lawnmower pully (listed in the first post) with the original idler pully with a new bearing. The lawnmower pully is still fine, no wobble and smooth turning.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey