Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Care and Upkeep

Care and Upkeep Let's face it, it has to be done. Have questions of what to do or how to do it, this is the place to talk about it.

Site Search:

Old 05-31-2011

Angry Black coating on everything. Ideas?

I just started prepping the bird for our next adventure (Zion, Grand Canyon) and found that there is a black coating of ??? on everything inside. It looks like it could be ash/soot but i cannot tell where it is coming from. I looked at the furnaces which seem have the same ash or soot on the outside but how would it get inside? I am questioning engine or generator exhaust but once again i cannot tell where it may be coming from.

Anybody had or have this same problem?
Old 05-31-2011
Black Sheep Division

I had some to a lesser degree in mine. Turned out to be soot from engine exhaust. The crossover pipe from the manifold to the turbo had split at the vibration damper. That seems to be a common occurrence. I welded mine but some don't trust that so they buy new ones. Have someone start the engine cold while you observe the exhaust manifold. Should be easy to see.

TOM
Old 05-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansax View Post
I had some to a lesser degree in mine. Turned out to be soot from engine exhaust. The crossover pipe from the manifold to the turbo had split at the vibration damper. That seems to be a common occurrence. I welded mine but some don't trust that so they buy new ones. Have someone start the engine cold while you observe the exhaust manifold. Should be easy to see.

TOM
Tom, I had that same exhaust split above the flex pipe on mine. I replaced it and it stopped getting everything under the hood sooty....but I do not understand how that would/might get inside the coach? Mine turned everything black under the hood, but nothing inside.

Mike, Justin, and Ryan Evans
Richland, MI
www.companyfixers.com
1985 PT36 formerly known as "The Pine Mountain Express"
2005 Chevrolet Suburban SuperToad with Blue Ox baseplate and Aventa LX towbar, Brake Buddy
Old 05-31-2011

I don't have much soot "under the hood" my exhaust from the turbo out is wrapped but i will check the pipe and couplers just to be sure.

Has anyone heard of soot coming from either the furnaces or frig?