Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 08-06-2011

Default How much can I get for my C13? $$ C15 install.

I am dreaming again, and found what I believe is the ultimate engine for a coach. 625HP Cat C15, with 2000LBS of torque!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130557514533&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

This would drop right into my coach, and uses the exact same 70pin harness as the C13. And my Rad & turbo cooler is the exact same as used in the Wanderlodge with the 600HP ISX, my transmission is also the same as the Wanderlodge with the ISX, so the only thing that would stop me from doing this is the $$$ for the C15.

If I could only find a buyer for my C13, in time
(I think im being a bit greedy here, since the C13 is overkill as it is)

Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 08-06-2011

No engine fans in here?
anyway, Mike, the guy who did all that custom work to my Coach, said he could do the engine swap for about $3500.
But I would have to get about $20,000ish for my current engine to make it worthwhile..
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 08-06-2011
Got One

Gezzz...All that for 25 hp more...I bet you could get that 25 horse/?foot lbs of torque out of the C13 from somewhere...Maybe even more!!
Old 08-06-2011

I don't know what someone would ante up for a C-13. I can say what I know first hand.
There is a reason Class 8 trucks with a C-13 CAT go for 25 to 50 percent less than other engines.
I personally put over 100K miles on a C-13. There was not a single month in that 11 month period that it did not leave me on the side of the road. DPF, regen and high crank case pressure problems. Other issues- blew a hole in bottom of the air compressor and launched the piston out the left side of the truck. It had constant fuel pressure problems and had to have a fuel filter modification. It would not pull a hat. The Jake brake was virtually useless.
This was a new truck. It is still in the company running short trips so it is a shorter tow to the shop. Still doing the same thing. Junk in my opinion.
As a comparison, I have logged 187K miles on a ISX 450 regen with virtually no problems and I am getting 7.3 mpg at 80K pounds at 65 and I run W. Virginia and the mountain West as well as flatlanding.

I actually tried to forget that engine. During the same period it blew two turbochargers and CAT pulled the head. I can't remember why but it did not fix the problem.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker

Last edited by jwasnewski; 08-06-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: add info
Old 08-07-2011

Sounds like you had a lemon in that truck for sure. I have heard mixed reviews on these engines, and the older ones were a nightmare, but the last batch that they produced were fine serial numbers starting with LEE..
The trucking company that I use for my production company has just about all the engines in one truck or another, including a C13 with over 600,000 miles on it that has been rock solid, actaully his biggest nightmare is the truck with an ISX that went down so many times (mostly head warping problems and turbo problems), that Cummins decided to just install a brand new Crate engine.

There are a few members here with C13's in their late model bird, maybe they can chime in with how theirs have worked out so far?

My C13 pulls awesome in this bus. I believe it is rated at 1450LBS of torque, and even going up some pretty steep hills it holds it's speed, and if I push down on the gas, the bus lunges forward going up hill.....

That being said, the thought of 2000LBS of torque and 625HP has me dreaming, and I would love to swap out for this awesome C15 above.

I had the chance to buy one of the brand new Wanderlodge ISX600 engines for $15,000. complete, and looking back now, that was a STEAL, but my mechanic who would have installed it talked me out of it and said it would be a wiring nightmare to get it to work since it was the new DPF engine.

This C15 would work with the same harness though
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 08-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie View Post
Gezzz...All that for 25 hp more...I bet you could get that 25 horse/?foot lbs of torque out of the C13 from somewhere...Maybe even more!!
Rich,
Remember, it's not so much the hp, as it is the torque in these engines.
Old 08-07-2011
Forum owner

I think Davids engine is 400hp?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I think Davids engine is 400hp?
It's 435hp the way it is.

It will cost me $1500 to uprate it to 525HP.
OR
$3000 to Uprate to 525HP AND do a DPF/Regen/Acert Delete, to get rid of all that emission BS.
Then I could run a regular muffler or straight pipe or whatever.

IF I did ever do a swap for the C15 listed above, I would have the Acert/DPF system removed before insalling it.

Thats the problems with all these late model Cat and Cummins engines.
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 08-07-2011
davidmbrady

David,

Do you have someone in mind to do the Acert/DPF/Regen delete? There's been some talk of doing the same on the late model, similarly equipped, S60's, but the results have been less than satisfactory, bad fuel mileage, difficult ECM parameter setup, etc.

BTW, none of the S60 equipped Wanderlodges have any emission controls. I'm only interested cause the 2004 thru 2011 Prevost's do.

Leroy: Another reason I'm shying away from an M450...
Old 08-07-2011

A little research shows that the C13's are Still pretty expensive...

Here is a C13 that acutally came from the Coachworks Auction...($25,000)
http://www.heavytruckparts.net/detai...chnum=12534826

They also have one of the Cummins ISX 600HP engines from the Coachworks auction brand new for LESS ($22,500)
http://www.heavytruckparts.net/detai...chnum=12534839

Neither of the above engines comes with the DPF exhaust system, which is HUGE $$$$... I dont see why I couldnt get...say....$18,000 or so for mine complete with the DPF and everything else... It's still brand new.
Cummins ISX-650HP