Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Good, Bad, and Ugly > Vendors

Vendors Share feedback of your experiences, good or bad, with different vendors you have dealt with.

Site Search:
Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2010
Gardner

Dan,
Stephen is the only parts supplier I know of that has gone to the trouble of having special parts made to support our coaches. He has invested significant dollars to have these parts made in hopes we will see the value and purchase them. But he never complains when we don't. I guess if you jump on his case he will jump right back, but I have purchased many items from him and have not been dissapointed. Be patient and all will be resolved.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-10-2010

I've ordered stuff from him over the years, met him in Fort Valley, had dinner with him in Nashville, talked to him on the phone several times. Other than being a Canadian "eh" he's OK.
Old 05-10-2010

I ordered Primus parts from Stephen and he is 50% lower in price than the guy who never called me back. Stephen shipped it promptly and told me on the phone how it all goes together. I asked him at the beach Rally in MYR about insulation, and he said I might have to wait a month. Well, I 'll wait till he gets his stuff. suppliers in the US are sometimes not too efficient or truthfull. So what can Stephen say except what it is?? My insulation is now somewhere between Delaware and his place. I once ordered new awning equipment from an awning dealer here, and my parts were shipped to California, 1920 miles from PA.
And as long as you have Stephen, Randy, Bill Pape and as well as many others from this forum in your phone list, you don't have to worry about keeping the Bird running.
Old 05-10-2010
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

I've ordered several things from Stephen and had issues, questions, etc.. he handled them all very quickly and professionally.. but there was something I just couldn't put my finger on that seemed rather odd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somervillebus View Post
Other than being a Canadian "eh" he's OK.
OH.. OK.. That explains it... Nope, no other issues here!

hee hee hee
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 05-11-2010

qoute from buckeye bird

"I know some of you know Stephen and maybe this is his usual character, I don't know. I have no reason to bring all of this up except that I think that people should call in orders and not just use the website so they can verify that the items are in stock. The other, more important thing, is that they apparently charge you for items even though they haven't been shipped and are not even in their hands yet. I usually don't do business with such companies"

WE have approximately $75,000.00 worth of inventory and occasionally
We run out of certain things
we are not setup to accept phone orders, I do not have a staff to answer the phone and i do not accept credit cards over the phone
I offer advice and customer support and unfortunately some orders get screwed up. I am sorry
I am at the mercy of suppliers if they do not ship the product what am supposed to do
our website is setup to capture funds at the time of sale there is nothing we can do about it
if you don't like it, talk to the bank they set the rules

I dont feel I should have to be defending myself and Dupree Products
But oh well

in closing send the valve back in clean and unused condition and i will cheerfully refund your money
the check will be in the mail tomorrow May 11 2010

if the valve does not come back in a timely manner an adjustment will be made to cover the cost of the valve and shipping of same
manual valve 25.30
ups ground 8.16

total 33.46

you know something its not worth the aggravation I will refund all your money
I hope you enjoy your new valve

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 05-11-2010

Transaction Details

Transaction Id: 10001086 Date: 5/10/2010 10:39:43 PM IP Address:
Card Owner: Daniel J Schrader Card Type: VISA Trans. Type: Return Trn. Source: Web Terminal Amount: $117.03 Order Number: 2180 Batch Number: 0001 Approval Code: 005839 CVD response: CVD Not Provided Response: Approved VbV/SecureCode Status: Not Performed
Name: - Email Address: - Phone Number: - Address 1: - Address 2: - City: - Province/State: - Postal/Zip Code: - Country: - Comments: -
Transaction Adjustment To:

Trans. Id Date Amount Type Transaction Response
10001061 4/26/2010 4:14:32 AM $117.03 P Approved

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 05-11-2010
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Bird View Post
I really hesitated in writing this, but I think it is important enough for members.

On April 26th I ordered a dump valve assembly and a sheet of insulation from Dupree Products. I have ordered from them before and have seen postings and the website address ad on those postings from Stephen Birtles.

I received the valve assembly promptly, (2-3 days), but the insulation didn't come. I called and talked to Stephen on Monday, May 3 to ask about the insulation. He said that the shipping e-mail they sent had a note at the bottom saying the insulation had not yet shipped, and that the material would be in on Wed. May 5 and would ship out then. I went back and looked at the e-mail and it made no mention of the insulation not being shipped. I looked at my order on the website and it also said it had shipped.

Today I called again and got Stephen on the phone. I asked about the insulation and he became what I would describe as angry and said "I talked to you last week and said I would ship it when it got here". I reminded him that he had stated a date of Wed. May 5, and that the "note" about the insulation was not in the e-mail. He said " I can't control my suppliers, so what do you want me to do ?", again in a voice I would never use with a customer. I said that a phone call or e-mail would have been nice. At that point he said, in the same tone "Well, I'll just send you back your money". At that point I was pretty well teed and just said "fine" and hung up on him.

I know some of you know Stephen and maybe this is his usual character, I don't know. I have no reason to bring all of this up except that I think that people should call in orders and not just use the website so they can verify that the items are in stock. The other, more important thing, is that they apparently charge you for items even though they haven't been shipped and are not even in their hands yet. I usually don't do business with such companies.

A few things to keep in mind here. Stephen is not a large corporation with a staff dedicated to answering the phone and tracking shipments. If it weren't for Stephen rescuing Dupree Products from the previous owner, we probably wouldn't have those valves available. In addition he has added other items that we need and in some cases has had items reproduced that were previously unobtainable, in my mind at his own risk. I assume that all of his "leg work" tracking down parts for all of us and going through the hassle of getting other parts produced again is offset enough that he isn't taking a loss. On the other hand I don't think he is making enough that he would be doing this if he weren't a 'bird lover.
My whole point here is that Stephen has done so much work to benefit all of us that I can overlook a "gruff day" or two if that is truly what happened. For me, if Stephen comes across gruff I chalk it up to his being from, well on the other side of that Mason Dixon line. His structure for ordering and shipping may not be what you prefer, but if it works for him then I'm all for it as long as us 'bird owners are still having parts available to us that in some cases may not be obtainable elsewhere. As for charging the complete order, knowing Stephen, that is not a problem for me. I know that it is a small operation, its hard to deal with suppliers and I know that he will send it as soon as he possibly can. I for one will continue doing business "with such companies" as you state. My personal preference would be that such grievances be left off line. Since this is the first one that I recall concerning Dupree Products I personally think that "airing it public" only hurts both parties......

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 05-11-2010
Administrator

Buckeye Bird,

We have read your posts in the past, Please stick around.
Both sides of a dispute usually have some merit,
Stephen just retired from the railroad, he has helped many, he is a good guy, I have seen him install parts for customers, Come to a Rally meet the folks in the Zoo, The railroad has thinned and grayed a few of Stephens locks, as with most of us, But Stephen is still a fiery RedHead. This is a good thing.
Old 05-11-2010

Stephen,
I'm not going to get into a back and forth here. The valve has already been installed, and I am not asking to have all of the money refunded. What irritated me was the attitude (which I still detect) I got for just asking about the order, and the fact that I was told that the insulation would be in on a certain date and promptly shipped. You asked "what am I supposed to do ?".... All I would have liked is some communication that it had not come in and was not shipped so that I would not be waiting for it in vain while wanting to finish a project and not being able to use the bus in the meantime.
I am sure that your website could be set up to not charge for things before you even have them to ship, but that is your business. I just don't care for doing things that way.
Feel free to re-charge me for the valve. I won't be taking it back off but I also pay for things that I buy. It's your call.
I am done posting on the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
qoute from buckeye bird

"I know some of you know Stephen and maybe this is his usual character, I don't know. I have no reason to bring all of this up except that I think that people should call in orders and not just use the website so they can verify that the items are in stock. The other, more important thing, is that they apparently charge you for items even though they haven't been shipped and are not even in their hands yet. I usually don't do business with such companies"

WE have approximately $75,000.00 worth of inventory and occasionally
We run out of certain things
we are not setup to accept phone orders, I do not have a staff to answer the phone and i do not accept credit cards over the phone
I offer advice and customer support and unfortunately some orders get screwed up. I am sorry
I am at the mercy of suppliers if they do not ship the product what am supposed to do
our website is setup to capture funds at the time of sale there is nothing we can do about it
if you don't like it, talk to the bank they set the rules

I dont feel I should have to be defending myself and Dupree Products
But oh well

in closing send the valve back in clean and unused condition and i will cheerfully refund your money
the check will be in the mail tomorrow May 11 2010

if the valve does not come back in a timely manner an adjustment will be made to cover the cost of the valve and shipping of same
manual valve 25.30
ups ground 8.16

total 33.46

you know something its not worth the aggravation I will refund all your money
I hope you enjoy your new valve
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 05-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Buckeye Bird,

We have read your posts in the past, Please stick around.
Both sides of a dispute usually have some merit,
Stephen just retired from the railroad, he has helped many, he is a good guy, I have seen him install parts for customers, Come to a Rally meet the folks in the Zoo, The railroad has thinned and grayed a few of Stephens locks, as with most of us, But Stephen is still a fiery RedHead. This is a good thing.
Maybe that is the problem........so am I.

As I see it if this was any other vendor I think the forum members would want to know about it, but since Stephen is a forum member I knew it might be controversial. But at the same time he also knew I was a forum member after I called the first time, and it it didn't seem to matter.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio

Last edited by Buckeye Bird; 05-11-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Closed Thread