Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 06-22-2008
Forum owner

i built one for a birder a few years ago out of a truck lift gate.
we cut it down some and it works real well.
i don't have any pics,and the owner is in alaska for a few months.
it folds up against the back of the bus when not hauling a bike.
we bought the lift gate used,for $500.
when the bike is picked up on the lift,the bottom of the lift is about 4' off the ground.
making it hard for someone to mess with the bike.
Randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
i built one for a birder a few years ago out of a truck lift gate.
we cut it down some and it works real well.
i don't have any pics,and the owner is in alaska for a few months.
it folds up against the back of the bus when not hauling a bike.
we bought the lift gate used,for $500.
when the bike is picked up on the lift,the bottom of the lift is about 4' off the ground.
making it hard for someone to mess with the bike.
Randy

Wanna build a few more? I've been looking for a Hydralift on eBay for the last year or so and haven't found one yet unless, as the gent said, it was attached to another motorhome.

Along the lines of the "perfect toad" and the ultimate motorcycle lift, I thought that you folks might find the following photo of be of interest. It was taken by a guy on one of my motorcycle forums. I'd say he's a little overloaded, what say you? :

(and the required Wanderlodge bits: 1982 PT-40, full-timers, currently in the tropical paradise along the Tex/Mex border)
Old 06-23-2008
Forum owner

no time to build anything until the new house is built!
and,don't follow that rig too closely!
randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-23-2008

That guy is completely insane!

I wonder how much that little car weighs? Gotta be torture on his read axle and frame!
Linden, Michigan
Old 06-23-2008

Minimum weight of a Smart is about 1,800 lbs. according to their brochure.

Yup ... doesn't look safe to me

(and the required Wanderlodge bits: 1982 PT-40, full-timers, currently in the tropical paradise along the Tex/Mex border)
Old 06-25-2008
Mike and Tracy

Do you happen to have any pics of your installation? I am looking at a new Harley and am quite impressed by the Hydralift, but am worried about altering our Bird. Bad enough getting better half to agree to bike, without cutting holes in bumper if you know what I mean!

thanks,
Mike

Mike and Tracy - near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
1999 43 LXI, "Maddy" - 60 Series Detroit
FOR SALE, $65k U.S. OBO
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (Diesel) or 2013 Jeep Rubicon 4 Down Toads; Sold Jetta, but it was an awesome toad.
Old 06-25-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

This thread is a great discussion with a lot of good information included and you will notice that I have moved this thread to a more appropriate sub-forum, since it has gotten away from being just about a new owner. I chose to move it so that in the future if another forum member wants information about adding a motorcycle lift or carrier to their 'Bird it would hopefully be easier to find here;
Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications > Motorcycle Hydraulic Lift For Your 'Bird

I personally get by with using just a reinforced single receiver hitch for my motorcycle carrier;

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/49021493

I'm sorry I just couldn't help myself..................the devil made me do that

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-25-2008

How about the 2 straps, one at the front of the car and one at the rear that go up to the roof to add "support"!!!!! Like that Dynomax has any roof structure to get support from!!! I can hear it now, "Well, my Smart fell off the back of my motorhome, landed on the driver's side, and this KW just ran right over it!" Think the insurance company will pay on that one???

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 06-26-2008

I've looked at the Hydralift and they do indeed seem like the best of the best. Just expensive. And as the gent pointed out you can still tow a pretty good sized trailer with a Hydralift whereas with some of the other motorcycle lifts their towing capacity is significantly reduced.

We've been dragging a Land Rover Disco II around on an open trailer with the intent of adding tie downs for motorcycles as a future project. We've already had the trailer modified with connectors for ramps on the sides of the front for loading a bike in the "bow."

If we get a modest windfall this summer I hope to add a smaller dualsport bike to the "fleet" like the yet-to-be-released BMW F800GS and that should be sized perfectly to put on the very front of the trailer, in front of the Land Rover. As things stand now my bigger GS's (R1100GS and R1150GS) are a really tight squeeze and Bosswoman's K1200LT looks like it's quite possibly too long to fit crosswise on the trailer, although Hydralift used to show an LT being carried on one of their lifts so that's going to be close.

Longer term we are looking at getting some sort of smaller Land Rover so that we can free up a bit more space on the trailer.

Incidentally, the trailer is 26.5 ft. long, the 'bird is 40 ft. long, and theoretically the maximum legal length here in Floriduh is 65 ft. Just in case anyone is keeping track of these things.

Alas, I don't have any good photos of the front of the trailer with the Rover loaded, and we haven't installed tie downs for motorcycles yet, but you get the picture.

John, don't you carry a race car in your enclosed trailer in addition to your bike?

I've wanted to carry a bike or two and/or a combination of an off-road capable SUV for some future Mexican trips, and for the time being the trailer is what we have come up with, although the addition of something like a Hydralift would certainly add some flexibility.

Last edited by PirateJohn; 06-26-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-26-2008

Maybe it would be worth investigating a TommyLift conversion project. The price and capacity are good. Mounting options are the first issue and chocks / tiedowns methods are another. As if I need another project right now!

Glenn