Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 02-23-2012

Default Bedroom renovation on an '83 PT35

It has been a while since I posted on the forum and I have been encouraged to get my "info" together and share with all of you just what we have been up to with my '83 PT35.
As some of you know, the Bluebird owner Peter Haggins, has some significant talent when it comes to renovating a bus. I have been privileged to get to know Peter and learn from him as well.
After moving the bus to Vancouver Island British Columbia last summer Peter suggested that we remodel the bedroom of the bus, well the "we" part turned into Peter rebuilding the bedroom himself. He has been working on it for about 3 weeks and has done an amazing job.
Some of the discoveries we have made after ripping the floors, walls and headboard off have been surprising. There were some simple design flaws that created major headaches over time. I will let Peter describe a few if anyone is interested as at this time I want to get the photos up to the forum.
Now I must apologize that I have not found as of yet a suitable before picture. So this photo will have to do for now.

Last edited by gjw; 02-25-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2012

These next 5 photos show the extent of the damage from leaks and neglect. There has also been some "handyman work" done on the systems in the bedroom which may also show in the photos.

Old 02-24-2012

I am hoping that Peter comments on some of these photos as he is more qualified than I. The somewhat suspect water tank is now removed.

The floor has been taken back to the steel foundation. The stick in the middle is helping to hold the ceiling panels in place as we at this point did not have the new strips to re-attach them to the ceiling.

Is this an intimidating photo or what?

Last edited by Rob Robinson; 02-28-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-24-2012

Some time in the past there has been severe water damage. I suspected that the water heater had leaked, and then I suspected the water conection in the steel box in the side of the bus. If those water connections leak the leaking water drips into the bus. The steel box has a hole in the bottom for the key latch, which allows all that water to enter into the bus.
The plywood floor was totally rotten 58" forward from the engine compartment. I removed that plywood (in a garbage bag as it just crumbled), painted the steel floor and then put down new plywood. The plywood on the engine compartment was all de-laminated, but there is asbestos under it, so I glued (p2000) new plywood over the old, and then ran screws through the new plywood, through the old plywood and through the steel. So the old plywood is sandwiched between the new plywood and the steel sub- floor.
I heated the bus and ran a dehumidifier to dry it all out. The 2x4 that is seen in the photos has a piece of flexable wood across the top of it to train the ceiling panel to take the proper shape again.
96wb42
Mid Door

Last edited by susanmarycamilleri; 02-26-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2012
Forum Moderator

Asbestos?
Old 02-24-2012

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...light=asbestos

asbestos.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 02-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
Asbestos?
Bluebird used asbestos in the engine compartment, and around the microwave.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 02-24-2012

I thought that I would post a few pictures in order to help Graham out. I removed the hot water heater and the wooded box that it was mounted on. Under the wooden box is a steel box structure that had a rust hole in it. I patched the hole with a steel plate and then built a new wooden box. The closet that I made has the sides in two pieces. I did this so the upper portion of the closet sides would be easy to remove in order to get to the cruise air on one side and the hot water heater (HWH) on the other.
I had a steel pan fabricated at a local shop. I will mount the new hot water heater in the drain pan. That pan has a drain that drains outside. If this HWH ever leaks it will just drain outside. Also the HWH has a drain tap for winter storage. That will drain into the pan and then outside. The over-pressurization valve will also drain into this pan.
In the last three photos you can see the new plywood floor. I also insulated the water pipes. The copper lines had been zap strapped together (hot and cold). I also removed the air blow out option and capped the air line where it came through the floor. I removed the sporan valve for the tank/city water function. I will install a separate water bib for the tank and one for city water. I also plan on having ball valves to drain the main water tank. This removed a lot of copper lines. Also I believe will make it easier and less complicated to servce. I had to remove a section of copper pipe that ran across the bus taking water from the port side to te starboard side, as it had been damaged by a screw, from the factory. It didn't leak but it decreased the pipe diameter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1339.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	14988   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1340.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	14989   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1341.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	14991   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1342.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	14992   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1343.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	14994   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1344.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	14995   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1345.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	14997   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1346.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	15000   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1347.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	15001   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1348.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	15002  

96wb42
Mid Door

Last edited by susanmarycamilleri; 02-26-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 02-24-2012

Graham bought a new HWH. I used PEX and ball valves to have a by- pass system for winterizing it. I cut a piece of "Dry Core" flooring to fit in the drain pan. This will keep the HWH out of any water that is in the drain pan. The plastic 1/4" space will keep the wood portion out of any water, but gave me a place to screw the HWH to, without putting a hole in the drain pan. Later I secured the HWH to the closet wall. There will be no movement of the HWH and the drain pan is left without holes in it ( except for the drain hole)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG1349.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	15004   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1350.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	15005   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1351.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	15006   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1355.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	15007  
96wb42
Mid Door

Last edited by susanmarycamilleri; 02-26-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 02-24-2012

I constructed the headboard area much like I did the one in my 96. Originally I had hoped to move the headboard back towards the back of the bus in order to gain room at the foot of the bed, to have more room to walk around the foot of the bed. To do this I was hoping to move the cruise air unit towards the outside wall and do the same with the hot water heater. As it turned out the HWH could not be moved as there was the steel black box item under it, ( see earlier picture) so the idea of pushing the bed back had to be given up.
When all the constraints were considered, it doesn't leave much for original thought in design. Therefore a very traditional layout.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG1356.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	15017   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1357.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	15018  
96wb42
Mid Door