Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 07-29-2012
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Powertech Radiator Fan

I have been using the same fan and radiator setup that the 90's PT's use in my Powertech transplant, I replaced the original fan motor at Maxton a few years back but never did really like the built in fan motor bracket that came with the only replacement motor that we could find at the time.

Well eventually the fan did sag a little at a time until the squirrel cage fan started to rub on the fan housing and vibrate the complete housing on my way home from Maine last week, the fan motor bracket tab at the 2 o'clock position is broken inside of the motor housing and with the fan shut off, I can reach inside the fan on the other side and move the fan itself up and down. You can see the motor and fan sagging in this picture.

I'm waiting for my new account to be approved at Johnstone Supply to get the price on the parts I will need to replace and I'm also looking at alternatives and one of them is the Hayden Fan that Shane is using on his generator and a few others have used the same fan on their generators.

Now for my question has anybody used this setup, a 12 volt Hayden 3817 Ultra Cool Electric Fan on a Powertech? After removing the original fan, how did you wire the 220 Volt fan wires so that the generators controls would think that the original fan is running, as I don't believe that my Powertech will continue to run if the 220 volt fan is not running?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3817.jpg
Views:	2507
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	17628   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAGGING FAN MOTOR.jpg
Views:	2303
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	17629  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-29-2012

I used the 3817 Hayden on the '83 with the Perkins and had no problems with it. I would think it would work on your Powertech as well.
There are a thread or two that discuss the Powertech genny overheating and shutting down after running for a while because the fan motor wasn't working, so I wouldn't think that the motor needs to be running for the genny to operate without the fan motor using 220v.

here is a post from 2009 that describes the genny running without the fan motor:
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...28&postcount=7
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 07-29-2012
Forum owner

John,i have the 12vdc fan on my coach,i put it on a year ago when my fan motor went bad,it works fine.
No need to do anything with the 230vac wires,except cap them off.
I put a thermostat on the rad that turns on the 12vdc fan,its as simple as that.
The 12vdc fan you can buy anywhere,thats what i like.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-30-2012

I had the capacitor fail on squirrel cage 220v fan motor, so the motor wasn't running. The Kubota ran just fine, overheating and blowing coolant all over the ground.

PS, the Kubota overheat sensor also didn't work and didn't shut the motor off. I've received a new one from Powertech.
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168
Old 07-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
John,i have the 12vdc fan on my coach,i put it on a year ago when my fan motor went bad,it works fine.
No need to do anything with the 230vac wires,except cap them off.
I put a thermostat on the rad that turns on the 12vdc fan,its as simple as that.
The 12vdc fan you can buy anywhere,thats what i like.

I think the 12 volt Hayden fan is the way I will go then, being able to get it anywhere is a benefit, I have a Hayden twin fan setup as an auxiliary cooling on my old work van that has been in use for over 20 years now, they make a good product.

The lower profile of the fan will also make it easier too reach the oil dipstick which I can only remove and reinsert BLINDLY now because of the location of the fan housing. Shane had mentioned that the fan uses 30 amps on the high setting and I still have my old Triad charger, that I have hooked up to my House battery bank through the Buddy plug so it only works when the generator is running, so that may be enough to compensate for the 12V fan load, my generator uses the house battery bank for its 12 volt source.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-30-2012

The Hayden 3817 is a two speed fan. I had the one on the Perkins set up so the low speed ran all of the time, and used a thermostat on the high speed side set at around 175. I am not sure if it ever went into high speed mode.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 07-30-2012

It has been seven years since Randy modified the old Perkins radiator to lay horizontal and added the squirrel cage fan, but I was a little surprised to see all of the dirt that had accumulated on the top side of the radiator. I will try soaking it with Simple Green and then rinse it off with just my well water 60# garden hose pressure.

There was damage to the fan housing and possibly the fan on the back side.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DIRTY RADIATOR.jpg
Views:	2674
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	17638   Click image for larger version

Name:	DAMAGE.jpg
Views:	2132
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	17639  

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-30-2012

The Hayden will definitely take up less room and it will be a lot easier to keep that radiator clean.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 07-30-2012

Sure looks like a better mouse trap. If the Onan fan gives up I'll go this route also.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 07-30-2012

The radiator cleaned up pretty good, most of the oil/dirt was on the surface of the radiator and came off with my shop air compressor air gun with the tip removed so that it would not damage the radiator core fins. What dirt that remained I soaked first with Simple Green and sprayed it off with the garden hose, what was left I soaked with Purple Power Cleaner Degreaser and let it soak in and then washed it off with the garden hose and followed that with running the air gun without the pointed tip straight down into the fins, this blew any remaining dirt from them, by removing the tip from the air gun it reduced the concentrated air pressure and did not damage any of the fins in the process.

DIRTY

CLEANED

I'll let it dry good before giving it a light coat of black paint to protect it and by then the Hayden Fan and 2 speed controller will be at O'Rielly Auto Parts and then I can get that installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CLEANED RADIATOR.jpg
Views:	2282
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	17640   Click image for larger version

Name:	air gun.jpg
Views:	2056
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	17642  

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11