Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 07-31-2012

It also looks like the Hayden fan will be using about twice the radiator fin area as your squirrel cage did.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 07-31-2012
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomas View Post
Power Teck recommends 2200 cfm fan for a 12.5 kw Gen. what the rating for the Hayden fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
John,i have the 12vdc fan on my coach,i put it on a year ago when my fan motor went bad,it works fine.
No need to do anything with the 230vac wires,except cap them off.
I put a thermostat on the rad that turns on the 12vdc fan,its as simple as that.
The 12vdc fan you can buy anywhere,thats what i like.

Bob,

I believe that my Powertech is identical to what Randy has in his 'Bird and his test is a real world test, so I think it will be OK.

I got a coat of paint on the cleaned radiator this morning and picked up the Hayden Fan and controller, it is starting to get hot this afternoon so I'll tackle that job tomorrow morning when it is cool outside.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-31-2012
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
The Hayden model 3817 is rated at 2100 CFM in high speed mode. I find that in the winter months, mine does not need to run on high. This past weekend, we had a couple of really humid days at the Oswego rally. I was running a cruise-air, my Xantrex Inverter/charger, water heater and ice maker. I also had another coach plugged into mine using the buddy plug. Total draw on the Perkins was around 60 Amps. As long as the fan ran on high, there were no problems with heat and the genny ran around 185 degrees. If I removed the high speed and it ran on low, the temps got up to around 198/199 and it just could not keep up with the heat.
CFM by itself is a useless parameter. You also need to specify at what static pressure.
Old 07-31-2012

David, is the static pressure you refer to that of the fans air stream?
Cape Cod,ma
Old 07-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
CFM by itself is a useless parameter. You also need to specify at what static pressure.
Given that the fans are designed for automotive applications, could one safely presume that the CFM rating is for a typcial, 3-core brass/aluminum radiator? I've never broken out the manometer and static pressure tips for this project, but mine seems to work fine with a 12.5 Perkins. It's been on there for 300 hours so far.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 07-31-2012
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
Given that the fans are designed for automotive applications, could one safely presume that the CFM rating is for a typcial, 3-core brass/aluminum radiator? I've never broken out the manometer and static pressure tips for this project, but mine seems to work fine with a 12.5 Perkins. It's been on there for 300 hours so far.
Given that most automotive radiator applications benefit from ram air thru the front mounted radiator cowl, I don't think that's a safe assumption.
Old 07-31-2012

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Wouldn't you want to build some type of shroud to ensure good air flow through the radiator. Or is the proximity of the fan to the radiator all that's needed?
That's what Darrell was saying/thinking as well, John. He thought he should built a shroud, as the Hayden is too big to go in the existing squirrel cage, so other than insulating it is that necessary?

What sayeth you, Shane? And what did Randy do?

David, can you please speak as to what static pressure is or should be in laymens terms, so the rest of us can understand? Or more simply said, is a Hayden fan in your esteemed estimation/opinion sufficient enough for a Powertech 15,000 without a shroud, or even with one?

Appreciate hearing everyone's responses.

Jen
Old 07-31-2012
davidmbrady

Hi Jennifer,

Randy uses it so it's probably okay. My only point was that you need more parameters if you're going to compare fan performance. I'd still like to see flow rate at various static pressures for both systems, but that's just the you-know-what in me. I like my squirrel cage fan, it's proven and it's quiet. Static pressure might be an issue when at highway speeds. It's hard to say what pressure zones develop around the bus and specifically at the radiator. I'd definitely set the Hayden up as a pusher fan, the same as our squirrel cage fans. In the real world you'd want to test it at speed, in the wind, and in Death Valley, California like temps. The existence proofs to-date seem promising and reassuring.
Old 07-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBee View Post
That's what Darrell was saying/thinking as well, John. He thought he should built a shroud, as the Hayden is too big to go in the existing squirrel cage, so other than insulating it is that necessary?

What sayeth you, Shane? And what did Randy do?
Jen
Jen- Mine does not have a shroud. It may improve the airflow over the rad if I made one, but this setup has worked fine for over two years. It may not be adequate in "The South", but here in Pennsyltucky it's just fine. I have it set up to push air out through the radiator.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 07-31-2012
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

I will be mounting the Hayden fan on the shroud that Randy made for the squirrel cage fan that fits over the original Perkins radiator seen below. It will be trimmed to fit the diameter of the Hayden fan, this should assure that the fan is more effective and it will be pushing air down through the radiator in the same direction as the squirrel cage fan.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ORIGINAL POWERTECH FAN.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	17699  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11