Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-24-2012

Smile Air Tool(s)

I have on my 95 PT an auxiliary air compressor. In one of the bays, I have a long hose that clicks into the aux air output. What I don't have is anything to use on the end of the hose. I know 2 things I would like. I would like something to enable me to put air in the tires (a chuck?) and I would like an attachment that would allow me to blow air, like to remove dust from a fan or blower, for example.

Does anyone know where and what I should order for those 2 attachments? And are there any other attachments I should get, to have on hand?

Thanks!
2010 Honda Element -- "Shadow"

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost." -- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Old 09-24-2012

Easy. Any hardware store even the big box kind have a great array of packages that will meet your requirements. Harbor Fright also stocks such items Plus a whole lot more.

For airing the tires it is important to get an inflator with a gauge that will read high enough for our tires 120 PSI at least. But beware that some of the gauges aren't all that accurate nonetheless they should get you in the ball park.

I plan on also carrying an air ratchet and an impact wrench. I am a tool addict and every job is an excuse to buy a new tool. My primary addiction has been to Craftsman tools. I have not had good luck with Harbor Fright air tools but.....

Note that air impact wrenches require the right kind of attachments or you risk significant injury. They are typically black in color.

Paul & Janice Olson
Morrison, Colorado
Mi-Vida-Loca
1984 PT40
KoWSU
Old 09-24-2012

My air compressor (on the bus) doesn't produce enough pressure to inflate my tires to the pressure required. Chip blowing also takes a pretty good volume of air if you do much of it.

It would be great if this works for you. If you get it working let me know how you have accomplished it.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 09-24-2012

My 84 PT as is doesn't seem to have the poop either. However, I was given the compressor head from an old Sears unit that I plan to install. It is a 240V unit with a twin piston compressor and that should provide enough omph to do most jobs.

I have a lot of things on my "to do" list ahead of that but it will get done before her maiden voyage.

Paul & Janice Olson
Morrison, Colorado
Mi-Vida-Loca
1984 PT40
KoWSU
Old 09-24-2012

Interesting. How would you adapt the 240 volt to the bus and I would assume also that you would also need a tank with some capacity? I don't have a lot of experience with air tools but what I have tells me that to do what you are concerning you need pretty high pressures and considerable air "storage". I have a big compressor at home and even with a 240 volt compressor and about 25 gallons of storage there are some things I still could use more to do.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 09-24-2012

I am still formulating the plan but the power bus already supports 240V (2 120V legs) power although I could rewire the compressor to 120. If I do it 240 the 50 amp plug will work. Have to do some investigation on how the two 30 amp connections might support this but I don't plan to use them unless absolutely necessary.

My gen set also needs work on the Perkins but once I get it running I will have to test the power from it as it should support the full 50 amps with 2 120V legs.

I plan to connect it directly to the air tanks already on the Bird. This way I can air up the brakes et al without starting the DD.

My Bird already has an air chuck outlet in one of the bays.

Kyle Popejoy's 87 has a small built in compressor and I plan to study its installation. He does say it is marginal at best.

I just need to find the right place to stuff this bad boy. If it turns out to be too large to fit I will search for one slightly smaller but with plenty of power. Would like to have stuffed it where the Rediline was but still investigating and ruminating the possbilities.

Yes we can always use MORE POWER but if I am successful this should be a nice addition to the Bird. Certainly better than what she came with.

Paul & Janice Olson
Morrison, Colorado
Mi-Vida-Loca
1984 PT40
KoWSU
Old 09-24-2012

We'll have to let some of the other guys speak here but I don't think you want to install this system into the bus system. Too much pressure. Again if you figure a way to do this it would be great. Some of the fellows carry nitrogen bottles to inflate tires. Small compressors to do some of the other stuff. Getting 125 psi in sufficient amounts to do what you are figuring on is challenging. 85 lbs or so in limited amounts no problem. Then there are the issues with storage of the equipment.

No free lunch.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 09-24-2012

Thanks. Along with ruminating lots of testing will be involved. Achieving 125PSI is once of the requirements.

Now a nitrogen tank is interesting as well and may be a smaller addition for addressing the tire pressures.

I will see where this all leads me but I have lots of other projects higher on my list.

Paul & Janice Olson
Morrison, Colorado
Mi-Vida-Loca
1984 PT40
KoWSU
Old 09-24-2012
Former Bird Owner

I'm not sure that the built in air chuck will provide sufficient pressure for airing the tires. I tried a couple of times with my coach, and I had to have the engine running (as I didn't have an aux compressor) and even then getting past 100 psi was a problem.

I ended up getting a "twin stack" 4 gal "contractor's compressor" from Home Depot that had a 150 psi max. Could use it to air up the coach, if needed (though a bit slow), run an impact wrench, blow dust, etc.

I felt that the on board air chuck was a bit misleading, since I'd used a similar air chuck on trucks I drove in the Army for all sorts of needs (including tire pressure adjustments).

If you do use a smaller compressor, be aware of the volume of air required by some tools. My small compressor could handle an impact wrench, but not a ratchet (very well) since the ratchets needed too much air volume and would quickly deplete the air tank.

I know that many 'birders use a high pressure tank (nitrogen, CO2, or air from a diving shop) to air tires etc. Just need a high pressure to lower pressure regulator and the necessary tubing.

As noted, most hardware stores will sell "starter kits" with a variety of connectors and valves. I found that a tire nozzle similar to those you's find in a better gas station (with a two-sided filler) worked best for me. But it's important to invest in a good quality tire pressure gauge that reads up to about 150 psi. Checking the hose nozzle gauge, it was pretty close, but I trusted the separate gauge more.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 09-24-2012

Go to Tractor Supply to purchase the air chuck. It has a quality guage, and more importantly, it latches onto the valve stem so you don't have to stay down on your knees while it is filling. The latch is important because it takes a long, long time to air up a tire with a limited air supply.