Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 06-30-2010

Default Coolant Filter Mod

While attempting to test my Coolant, at the Radiator overflow tank I found a green (of course) foamy sludge. I have been planning to install the Coolant filter Modification and hope that this will clear this up. I am not sure of the validity of my test strip results. After reading the thread about this modification, I see that there was question about which filter to use? I plan to use one or two regular filters to clean my system and then install an SCA filter. Needs Release type?
Idaho
Old 06-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking99 View Post
While attempting to test my Coolant, at the Radiator overflow tank I found a green (of course) foamy sludge. I have been planning to install the Coolant filter Modification and hope that this will clear this up. I am not sure of the validity of my test strip results. After reading the thread about this modification, I see that there was question about which filter to use? I plan to use one or two regular filters to clean my system and then install an SCA filter. Needs Release type?
Jim, Here is a writeup I did back in time.

Coolant Filter Installation -1987 PT38 – 8V92
Contributed by Curt Sprenger August 27.2008

Coolant Filter Base – WIX 24019

Filters – 1st filter NAPA 4074 (WIX 24074). In a year, and each year, change filter to WIX 24071.

Parts – All Brass, all 3/8” - 4 street elbows, 1 close nipple, 1 1-1/2” nipple, 2 NIBCO T585 ball valves. Cost $68.79. Plus two threaded/barbed straight hose connections that I had on hand. You might find the part for less. I shop at a plumbing store that carries more parts than anyone in our area. They are not the least expensive but time is worth something.

Hose – measure generously – I used just under 6’ - get good ½” push-on or equivalent. Cost $10.00.
Hose Clamps – 4 each.

Bolts/Nuts – to mount the filter base.

Instructions -

1 I removed the Either Injector system and installed the coolant filter base in the same location. Or
pick a different location.

2 Loosely attach all the plumbing to the filter base, see picture, and the spin on the filter (not tight), to
get an accurate mounting position that works. Keep the coolant hose clearance/routing in mind.

3 Drill new mounting holes if needed. Check other side of plate before drilling as Hoses, etc.
might be in the drilling path.

4 Install filter base.

5 Install the brass parts. See photos. Use thread sealant. Shorten the ball valve handles as
needed.

6 Tighten the filter per instructions.

7 Remove the old hose at the Expansion Tank, save the coolant. Plug the hose for now.

8 Connect new hose from the expansion tank to the filter base center (Outlet).

9 Connect new hose to the filter base outer connection (inlet). To get the length of hose needed,
consider where the hose will be zip tied, run the hose to the thermostat housing street elbow,
and cut to length.

10 With a knife, slit the old hose at the street elbow on top of the thermostat housing. Quickly
remove that hose and slid on the new hose. A terry towel on top of the thermostat housing will catch the small amount of coolant loss.

11 Use zip-ties to secure the hose.

12 Add coolant to the overflow tank or reuse the saved coolant.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 06-30-2010

Curt,

Have you ever found you needed to go back to the 4074/24074? Is the 4071/24071 enough to maintain the sca levels?

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 06-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
Curt,

Have you ever found you needed to go back to the 4074/24074? Is the 4071/24071 enough to maintain the sca levels?
John,
At this time everything is checking out. The coolant filter installed time (little less than two years) hasn't been long enough to tell if the 4074/24074 is needed again. I'll test the coolant again this fall.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 06-02-2013

Talking Filter install

I cann't thank everyone enough for all the great info & photos.

I WILL be installing a filter ASAP so that the rehab of my cooling system is providing as much protection as possible.

Although I've only owned my BB for a year now, I have made great progress in bring this BB to a much better state of operation.

In no small part due to the fantastic help of the WOG members.

1985 PT36'
2014 F150 4X4
Old 10-05-2013

Just a quick question. Are the two threaded/barbed straight hose connections 1/2" x 3/8" Mips (male iron pipe thread) or 1/2" x 1/2" Mips?

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers
Old 03-03-2016

I know in the older water filters they had soft metal plates in the filter so the water would eat on the plates instead of the liner as it ate on the plates it would neutralize the water.

Homer L Butler
Jefferson Township, PA
1993 40' Coach 104656
570-840-5807
Old 04-10-2016

Default A cautionary tale

Despite changing my coolant filter annually, there appears to be some dissolution of the paper element which has resulted in clogged tubes on the Trans cooler. I have not been able to inspect the radiator, but am quite concerned that the cellulose filter material is not holding up well. When I drained the radiator and cooling system for another project, I pulled the hoses off the Champ cooler that we installed a few years ago. Much to my surprise, this was how it looked AFTER installing a coolant filter-

This is not coolant "drop-out" from what I can tell... it is a paste of fibrous material resembling the paper in the coolant filter. When I removed the filter last month, I cut it open to inspect the pleats for rust particles, etc.. and found them to be a little slimy, but not dirty.

6 years ago, I replaced the old cooler and found it to be clogged with metal particles, so I installed the coolant filter assembly that Curt had used. This was the photo of the old trans cooler BEFORE I ever installed a filter system.
Although it had some blocked tubes, they weren't nearly as bad after 25 years compared to what has happened with the coolant filter after only 6 years.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 04-10-2016

Shane, this is VERY troubling! Have you used the same brand filter and coolant since installing the filter six years ago? Can you tell us the brand of coolant/filters you have installed?

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers

Last edited by NealinNevada; 04-10-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-10-2016

Shane, thank you for posting #18. Have you noticed your transmission temperature running hotter than normal?
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
curtsprenger@gmail.com