Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 11-29-2013
Geek

Default hurricane help needed

My Hurricane is flaming out. The obvious thing is that in the fuel filter the fuel level is sitting at the bottom of the filter element; I think normally the bowl is full? What should I be looking for?
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 11-29-2013

Don,

First thing to check is diesel fuel level. My hurricane will not run at less than 1/3
of a tank. I have threatened to re-pipe it, but have not done it yet. The next thing I would check is the fuel pump, but I would bet that your problem is your tank level is too low.

I changed my fuel filter before the trip to Durango and the heater started up and ran for about a minute and stopped. After calling it every name in the book, I realized that my tank level was too low. Hope that is your issue.
Old 11-29-2013

If your hurricane heater does not have a return line back to the diesel tank (by design) the filter will not be full.

The most frequent cause of a flame out is air in the fuel supply line.
Old 11-29-2013
Geek

I believe I am below 1/3 tank. I "assumed" that it would draw at least to 1/4. That makes me feel better. I will try not to panic until I get some fuel!
Old 11-30-2013

Has your fuel orifice last changed or inspected in the last year or so? Is the needle valve in the return line partially open? I recall reading that it must be for proper operation.
Old 11-30-2013
cmillsap

Don,

Jim is correct. On that coach, I know for sure that if the fuel level gets about half way between half and a quarter tank, the Hurricane will run dry of fuel. Also be aware that the generator fuel line inlet level is well above the quarter tank hash mark also. I know that for sure also.

Chuck
Old 11-30-2013
Geek

We are in a park for a couple of days, so I ran it out today and filled - 102.3 gallons, which is definitely more than 2/3 of the 145 gallon tank! When I got back we turned the diesel burner on and I could see the bowl in the filter immediately fill. It fired right up.

Since I don't think this is documented anywhere it is another time the forum did well for me!
Old 11-30-2013

Glad that was the only issue. Unfortunately the pick-up for both the Hurricane and generator are in the middle of the tank and very difficult to access. If I get around to doing something to mine, I will post.