Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Coaches For Sale by WOG Members

Coaches For Sale by WOG Members Coaches WOG members have for sale along with a short description. New rules for selling coaches May 1, 2019

Site Search:

Old 05-18-2014

Default 1977 Bluebird FC35 SB with custom interior for sale in Phoenix

This coach was completely gutted and rebuilt over the last 3 years, with everything tested, cleaned, replaced, and/or repaired with great care. She's incredibly custom, with the living space converted to another bedroom for our son. This could be converted back (switch out twin bed and toy box/storage space for couches/chairs) without much trouble for all you WOG folks! It has a middle co-pilot chair, so a 3rd passenger can be buckled in for safer travel. It has neat custom details throughout; including, distressed milk paint, rusted and sealed wide metal baseboards and bandsaw blade trim work, tongue and groove bamboo floors, tongue and groove on some walls, sheet metal on some walls providing magnetic surfaces for hooks and other endless uses, and a chalkboard.

All new in the past 1-2 years:
Tires, 4 house and 2 start batteries (all Interstate), exhaust, injectors, injector pump, water pump, thermostats, tachometer and sending unit, front engine mount pad, steering box, clearance lights, rosco mirrors (not wired yet, but power and defrost capable), barrel locks on all basement compartments, skylights, fans, propane heater, 3 burner stove/oven, all belts, heat exchange hoses, fuel lines, fuel pump, heat exchange blower motor, auxiliary pump, passenger side heat exchange core, interior led lighting (including led track lighting throughout, bedroom on dimmer switch with remote, and others with color and dimming features), fridge, upholstery, sub floors, interior wood floors, walls and ceilings, 3 integrated seatbelt driver/copilots seats, 3 twin size latex mattresses, all PEX plumbing, kitchen and bathroom faucets, toilet, level diodes on all tanks and too much else to remember. We also added 3 spotlights, back-up camera, CB, Pioneer stereo with a couple 3-way speakers, long range wi-fi antenna, extra roof top storage bin, and large roof rack. We have receipts of everything done since we took her on.

We also serviced the second propane heater, all other heat exchange heater cores, radiator, and power steering pump.

We just drove her from Southern Oregon to Phoenix, so she drives fine. Half way through our trip we did feel the need to replace all fuel lines, add a Holley red fuel pump just after the fuel tank, and add another 4" air duct to the engine which has helped performance. The milage is unknown, as the tachometer with odometer didn't work when we got it. Because of this, we feel the 3208 N/A and Allison MT640 are probably ready for a remanufacture. We've done nearly everything else possible to give this coach a new life and just don't have the resources to continue. We'd love to get her to our final destination of Wisconsin to finish the reman work in the years to come, but for the right price we're prepared to sell, count our losses, say an incredibly sad good bye to this custom vintage bird, and drive only our car the rest of the way.

For full disclosure, the other work needed is comparably minor: Cruise control needs repair, it's missing it's power step, washer fluid isn't spraying, and the speedometer doesn't work. We just use a perfect sized step stool for the door and our GPS for our speed, no problem :-) We also removed the ridiculously large 12.5 kw Owen generator and built out the area into an extra large tool compartment, with plans to purchase a small inverter generator and some solar panels.

Asking $23,000, but will consider any reasonable offer. Must be picked up in Phoenix ASAP!

Craigslist ad with more photos: https://post.craigslist.org/k/1Gj9-O...d8tq?s=preview
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1868.jpg
Views:	1212
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	28874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1873.jpg
Views:	1020
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	28875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1885.jpg
Views:	1324
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	28876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1894.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	28877   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1914.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	28880   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1938.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	28882   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1968.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	28884   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1974.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	28885   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1976.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	28886   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1982.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	28887  

Blog: http://badassorganics.wordpress.com/wanderlodge/

Last edited by Katie; 05-18-2014 at 08:47 PM. Reason: adding craigslist link
Old 05-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
This coach was completely gutted and rebuilt over the last 3 years, with everything tested, cleaned, replaced, and/or repaired with great care. She's incredibly custom, with the living space converted to another bedroom for our son. This could be converted back (switch out twin bed and toy box/storage space for couches/chairs) without much trouble for all you WOG folks! It has a middle co-pilot chair, so a 3rd passenger can be buckled in for safer travel. It has neat custom details throughout; including, distressed milk paint, rusted and sealed wide metal baseboards and bandsaw blade trim work, tongue and groove bamboo floors, tongue and groove on some walls, sheet metal on some walls providing magnetic surfaces for hooks and other endless uses, and a chalkboard.

All new in the past 1-2 years:
Tires, 4 house and 2 start batteries (all Interstate), exhaust, injectors, injector pump, water pump, thermostats, tachometer and sending unit, front engine mount pad, steering box, clearance lights, rosco mirrors (not wired yet, but power and defrost capable), barrel locks on all basement compartments, skylights, fans, propane heater, 3 burner stove/oven, all belts, heat exchange hoses, fuel lines, fuel pump, heat exchange blower motor, auxiliary pump, passenger side heat exchange core, interior led lighting (including led track lighting throughout, bedroom on dimmer switch with remote, and others with color and dimming features), fridge, upholstery, sub floors, interior wood floors, walls and ceilings, 3 integrated seatbelt driver/copilots seats, 3 twin size latex mattresses, all PEX plumbing, kitchen and bathroom faucets, toilet, level diodes on all tanks and too much else to remember. We also added 3 spotlights, back-up camera, CB, Pioneer stereo with a couple 3-way speakers, long range wi-fi antenna, extra roof top storage bin, and large roof rack. We have receipts of everything done since we took her on.

We also serviced the second propane heater, all other heat exchange heater cores, radiator, and power steering pump.

We just drove her from Southern Oregon to Phoenix, so she drives fine. Half way through our trip we did feel the need to replace all fuel lines, add a Holley red fuel pump just after the fuel tank, and add another 4" air duct to the engine which has helped performance. The milage is unknown, as the tachometer with odometer didn't work when we got it. Because of this, we feel the 3208 N/A and Allison MT640 are probably ready for a remanufacture. We've done nearly everything else possible to give this coach a new life and just don't have the resources to continue. We'd love to get her to our final destination of Wisconsin to finish the reman work in the years to come, but for the right price we're prepared to sell, count our losses, say an incredibly sad good bye to this custom vintage bird, and drive only our car the rest of the way.

For full disclosure, the other work needed is comparably minor: Cruise control needs repair, it's missing it's power step, washer fluid isn't spraying, and the speedometer doesn't work. We just use a perfect sized step stool for the door and our GPS for our speed, no problem :-) We also removed the ridiculously large 12.5 kw Owen generator and built out the area into an extra large tool compartment, with plans to purchase a small inverter generator and some solar panels.

Asking $23,000, but will consider any reasonable offer. Must be picked up in Phoenix ASAP!

Craigslist ad with more photos: https://post.craigslist.org/k/1Gj9-O...d8tq?s=preview

May I ask why you feel the Engine and Transmission need to be rebuilt?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-18-2014
Timberlake Products Group

Patrick,

Seriously, all I can see is rows of corn in your field of dreams, good luck if that is even possible

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 05-19-2014

The engine mainly because we don't know the milage or service history. All that we've read says you should reman after a certain amount of miles/hours. Our only records show our engine was remanufactured last in 1982, only 5 years after new, and over 30 years ago.

We've had some issues with power, I know it's only 210 horsepower, but 15mph up a mountain pass doesn't seem right. We've tried to help by giving it more fuel with a pump right after the tank and more air with extra ducting to the engine, but it still seems like it needs more.

The transmission because it seems to shift hard when in drive. If manually shifted up through 2nd and 3rd gear it seems to shift smoother.

They're the 2 big things we haven't done, so if they are, it's practically a new coach.

Does your question imply you don't think we should? I'd love to hear that we don't need too worry about the reman, because this is one of the toughest decisions we've faced. We have 2,100 more miles to reach our new home, with some small climbs left through New Mexico, and our biggest fear is being left dead in the water.

Blog: http://badassorganics.wordpress.com/wanderlodge/
Old 05-19-2014

If your oil consumption is normal and the transmission is not slipping, I would think your OK. 15 MPH up the hills out there is not all that bad.

You could miss all the pulls if you continue east on I 10 then 20 to 30 to 35. No need to pull those passes unless you have a reason to go that way.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-19-2014

I am both stunned and saddened! Over the last couple years I've looked forward to each and every blog entry and WOG post about your Bird with the anticipation of a child waiting to open Birthday presents. What you have done with what you started with is stunning to say the least and a definite inspiration for my own project Bird.

I too was curious regarding the thought the engine needs rebuilt, coupled with the performance mods on the way to Phoenix.... sounded like it was just not performing well for you. I refreshed and revised my reply after seeing your response. FWIW, I concur with Rick, super slow on steep climbs has been the norm on the speed posts I've read about these old birds.

If I get a vote, I say keep trucking to Wisconsin, via the lowest routes you can take... I suspect it will make it to your new home. If not, how much difference would it really be to the new owner, knowing you feel it might need rebuilt vs. knowing it actually does?

I'm sure the master mechanics will have more thoughts to share in the morning too.

If you end up in Iowa and need help, give a shout, I'll do what I can to assist.
3208T 250hp
Allison MT-643
Rear End 5.29
Old 05-19-2014

Default Ideas.

Hi Folks,
Added on towing insurance to my insurance policy, it was cheap.
If the engine/transmission started acting up going to Wisconsin, could have it towed to a shop that worked on older school buses to fix/repair.
If you do take it to Wisconsin, suggest you have Mike Hohnstein in Germantown, WI, look the drive-train over. Here is an example of his work: Finns upgrade.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...highlight=finn

Hope this helps.
Bruce
Cat 3208TA
Old 05-19-2014

I had a 78 for 12 years. I found that in the mountains if you let the transmission down shift on the hills it down shifted too late. It would get down to 1800- 1900 rpm before it shifted down, and that put you behind the power curve. Try to hit the hills at 2800 rpm ,Max for the 3208 na, and then manually select a lower gear when the rpms decay to 2200- 2100 rpm, that will keep the engine in the power. The 3208 does not like to be lugged. With the na if you are blowing black smoke you are just wasting fuel.

2800 rpm should be about 65 mph, on the flat I cruised at 2600 rpm, that was 60 MPH or so. The 3208 likes to spin. The manual that came with mine said to run it as close to 2800 as possible. It also said to never let it run over 3000 rpm. Never exceed 3000 rpm.

Only on the steepest hills did I get down to 15 MPH, but if I didn't keep the rpm s up, it would slow down big time on the hills. If your engine was done it would be burning a lot of oil. Mine was burning a quart every 400 miles when I replaced the engine. It still ran okay though.

Can't stress enough, you down shift on the hills , not the automatic.
Send me a pm if you want to talk with your phone number.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 05-19-2014
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmarycamilleri View Post
I had a 78 for 12 years. I found that in the mountains if you let the transmission down shift on the hills it down shifted too late. It would get down to 1800- 1900 rpm before it shifted down, and that put you behind the power curve. Try to hit the hills at 2800 rpm ,Max for the 3208 na, and then manually select a lower gear when the rpms decay to 2200- 2100 rpm, that will keep the engine in the power. The 3208 does not like to be lugged. With the na if you are blowing black smoke you are just wasting fuel.

Only on the steepest hills did I get down to 15 MPH, but if I didn't keep the rpm s up, it would slow down big time on the hills. If your engine was done it would be burning a lot of oil. Mine was burning a quart every 400 miles when I replaced the engine. It still ran okay though.

Can't stress enough, you down shift on the hills , not the automatic.
Send me a pm if you want to talk with your phone number.
Patrick, This is good advice. I ALWAYS manually down shift my tranny. If I go to Flag via I-17 I too will get down to 15mph. Always look for alternate routes to avoid the long steep pulls. The 3208 can pull faster in 2nd at 24mpg but will over heat. Keep the revs up and a light foot and it will climb just about anything.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 05-19-2014

Guys,

Don't sell - not after all the work and love you have put into it!

Your mountain experience (speeds) sound pretty normal - just keep your Revs up and enjoy the ride!

Get good coach insurance and then just keep on bussing! You have brought that bus a long way from your first posts - that tells me you can make it to WI! Even if you break down you will be better off!

Just keep us WOGGers updated and I am sure people will help if needed and you will get there!
the (SLO-CAN) :