Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Coaches For Sale by WOG Members

Coaches For Sale by WOG Members Coaches WOG members have for sale along with a short description. New rules for selling coaches May 1, 2019

Site Search:

Old 05-19-2014

My 210 na was slow on the hills no fun.
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 05-20-2014

Thank you all so much for your comments, I can't tell you how much we appreciated reading them... So much so that we are leaning very strongly towards keeping her and chugging onward! It's in the shop now, we're going to address a few of our safety concerns and see where we're at. The brakes have never been inspected and she pulls far left when you hit them hard, that and we have a bit of a lean to the drivers side that we think may very well have come from removing the hefty generator from the driver's side. Some leaf spring and/or shock work seems to be in order. We also have a "click" in the steering column that just started. Ugh, after we just had the steering box replaced just south of Reno! The fun continues

We also have to address our heat issue again. We were running hot since we left Oregon. It would easily reach 210 degrees on small climbs and force us to pull over and cool down. It's the reason we had our radiator looked at and flushed again while we were adding the fuel pump in Bishop. All the heat exchange vents are open and blowing plenty of hot air, so we know the water pump works. Perhaps we need a higher concentration of antifreeze? History says it's probably the biggest pain in the butt option... the temperature sensor. We were actually going to replace it "just in case" while the radiator was already off, but we were more or less talked out of that being the problem. We need to keep this bird, just so we can finally do the swing radiator modification!!

Coincidently, a cancellation has left an opening at the Arizona Hot Bird Rally this weekend and the perfect timing tells us we're on the right path. It'll be an interesting week to see unfold... do we end up not only keeping it, but upping the ante and taking the steep road out of Phoenix?! Time will tell.

Blog: http://badassorganics.wordpress.com/wanderlodge/
Old 05-20-2014

Go to the hot birds rally, plenty of knowledgeable folks there who can help you out and give you ideas on some of your problems and concerns. Best of luck!
VB 1570
Old 05-20-2014

Have your radiator checked out, if it's original than it's very old and may need a re-core or at the minimum a rodding. 3208 210 HP are very slow on hills. I would think your brake issue is just a matter of servicing the slack adjusters. I wouldn't freak out about the steering column as there is nothing really going on inside. Pull off the lower cover and have a look at it. Get to the Hot Bird Rally and have the gang put their 2 cents in. Happy Motoring!
Cape Cod,ma
Old 05-20-2014

WRT your temperatures, my 78 had the viscous fan clutch, when it engages you will hear it as it is loud. Mine didn't engage untill the engine temp gauge was around 215 degrees. I think that the temp gauge was a little off, but not that much. My question is whether or not you have heard the fan engage, assuming you have the viscous fan clutch. If you have not heard it I suspect that you have pulled over to cool down just before the fan engages. Once the fan engages it is very important to keep the RPM s up to ensure cooling.
I suspect that there is nothing wrong with the cooling system. On a long mountain climb, (I have driven lots of mountains as I live in BC on the coast) the temp could get up to 220, maybe a little higher 225 on the gauge (which I suspected as being a little off), but that is why you have a pressurized cooling system is to raise the boiling point. In creasing the coolant concentration past 50/50 will do nothing to increase cooling ability.

It sounds to me that your bus is running fine, you just aren't used to it yet. Send me a PM with your number if you want a call.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 05-20-2014

15 mph is exactly right. That is what ours does on any steep climb. As was mentioned, you should hear the fan kick in on the hills, but mine does not come on until 205 degrees. For peace of mind, you could always have someone wire in a fan override. Its pretty easy to do if you have a swing out radiator. You could also pick up a cheap heat gun from an autoparts store to double check the temperature at the top of the rad or the engine. My factory gauge is off by 10 degrees, so yours may be as well.

I replaced my fan stat last summer and the old one kicked in at 205. The new one turns the fan on at 210 which means that the fan does not run quite as often. So if you are shutting everything down at 210 degrees you may be trying to cool things down just before the fan kicks in and does that for you. Don't forget that you will have most likely a 190 or so degree thermostat. The fan stat is usually set quite a bit higher than that or the fan will kick in as soon as the thermostat opens.
Have you ever heard the fan kick in? It sounds like a jet taking off in a front engine bus.
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)
Old 05-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusfmeyer View Post
Go to the hot birds rally, plenty of knowledgeable folks there who can help you out and give you ideas on some of your problems and concerns. Best of luck!
While the AZ HotBirds welcome everyone to our Rallies, and will do everything we can to help, I feel in all honesty and fairness I must tell you that the two guys in the group with the most knowledge of FC's, Mike Putz and Fred Engle, are two of the cancellations. Mike will be in the area at another function and is due to drop by but when and for how long remains a mystery. Come on up and those of us who are there will do all we can to help, and we have some very knowledgeable people who will be there, just not our best people on FC's; As far as I know there will only be 2 FC's there, I'm certainly no expert and Blue Emu is also relatively new to Blue Birds.
Dave W.

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 05-20-2014

Craigslist link: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/rvs/4476930483.html

Old 05-20-2014

Martin
My 78 and I assume the 77 had a viscous fan clutch, not electric or air operated, so i don't believe that he will be able to wire in an override. You are very accurate with the sound of the fan engaging.
I suspect that they have been pulling over to cool the engine before the fan actually engaged.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 05-20-2014
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
Thank you all so much for your comments, I can't tell you how much we appreciated reading them... So much so that we are leaning very strongly towards keeping her and chugging onward! It's in the shop now, we're going to address a few of our safety concerns and see where we're at. The brakes have never been inspected and she pulls far left when you hit them hard, that and we have a bit of a lean to the drivers side that we think may very well have come from removing the hefty generator from the driver's side. Some leaf spring and/or shock work seems to be in order. We also have a "click" in the steering column that just started. Ugh, after we just had the steering box replaced just south of Reno! The fun continues

We also have to address our heat issue again. We were running hot since we left Oregon. It would easily reach 210 degrees on small climbs and force us to pull over and cool down. It's the reason we had our radiator looked at and flushed again while we were adding the fuel pump in Bishop. All the heat exchange vents are open and blowing plenty of hot air, so we know the water pump works. Perhaps we need a higher concentration of antifreeze? History says it's probably the biggest pain in the butt option... the temperature sensor. We were actually going to replace it "just in case" while the radiator was already off, but we were more or less talked out of that being the problem. We need to keep this bird, just so we can finally do the swing radiator modification!!

Coincidently, a cancellation has left an opening at the Arizona Hot Bird Rally this weekend and the perfect timing tells us we're on the right path. It'll be an interesting week to see unfold... do we end up not only keeping it, but upping the ante and taking the steep road out of Phoenix?! Time will tell.

Hey Guys.. Do the Rally! Many knowledgeable people will be there. I have a prior commitment but will be about 30 miles away and will show up to the rally to say "hi" and meet some new faces. My "Peeps" will take care of you.

BTW.. the temps you mentioned are lower than what mine run. One issue I found with those old fans/clutches is that I feel they are inadequate for our climate here. I replaced my clutch with direct drive as there was no Horton available at the time. In fact, I'm working with FanClutch now for a solution for older coaches.. more on that later. I also replaced the 5-bladed fan with a 6-bladed fan. I'll bring my "grubbies" to the Rally and crawl under there and snoop around a bit.

ALSO - Plan on meeting you guys for lunch tomorrow with Fred & Jed and if we ask nicely maybe Dave Ward will joins us as well? Give me or Fred a yell so we can pin down the time and place.

You are NEVER alone with this group.

PS... Take I17 up to 69 then West through Prescott to Williams to avoid the big long pulls on the hills. :-) In fact, we'll be in the Prescott Walmart Thursday night if all goes well.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5-bladed fan.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	28940  
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509

Last edited by MRPutz; 05-20-2014 at 01:10 PM.