Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 01-27-2009

Default Oil bath air filter - generator

I figured while I was doing an overhaul on the generator, I'd pull the air filter.

I'm not acquainted with oil bath filters.

Is there anything to change? It sure doesn't look like it.
What should I do while it's out?

Regards,
GPSGary
1984FC35SB
Old 01-27-2009

I don't know about your configuration.
On the old Nash my dad owned, pull the screen element, wash it with mineral spirits, coat it with oil, place some oil in the canister and put the lid on.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 01-27-2009

GPSGary,

All you do is drain the oil out of the mesh, as much as you can. Then wash the mesh with your favorite degreaser and let it dry. The re-oil with any basic oil you have on hand. You'll want to try and coat the mesh as much as you can when re-oiling. Put some excess oil in the bottom of the unit, where the mesh can soak or wick it up and put it back on the genny. They work quite well. That's where the whole K&N thing got it's start. Nothing but an updated version of an oil bath filter.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 01-27-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
GPSGary,

That's where the whole K&N thing got it's start. Nothing but an updated version of an oil bath filter.
Hi John, I have a K&N filter on my Jeep, K& N says to wash the cotton fiber filter with a non-sudsing detergent. But their installation instruction and their tech support will not advise on an alternative oil. They will only recommend their own product. Does anyone know what can be used to re- lubricate a K& N filter.
Old 01-27-2009
95 WB 42

Bill
I use Marvles Mystery Oil on our Harley filters 40,00 miles no issues yet.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 01-27-2009
Administrator

Ed,
Thanks for the quick response, I was very disappointed with K&N's response. It was bla,bla,,bla, the cotton fiber will deteriorate,,bla,bla. it will get sucked into the intake, then more bla,bla,bla, the alternative oil will be too heavy and the engine will not get adequate air. Explainations of warranty, & the life of the product, etc. more blabla?????
I could not get a simple answer, to the question, " What alternative oil or lubricant can be used".... A K&N Company policy issue & more bla,bla,bla, Not a good way to handle a customer.
Sorry to be Grumby tonight
Old 01-27-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Perkins Oil bath Air Filter how it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSGary View Post
I figured while I was doing an overhaul on the generator, I'd pull the air filter.

I'm not acquainted with oil bath filters.

Is there anything to change? It sure doesn't look like it.
What should I do while it's out?

Regards,
GPSGary
1984FC35SB
Gary,

I just added this to;
Wanderlodge Owners Group > Links, Files, Old Yahoo Forum Database and Downloads > Downloads & Files > Perkins Genset Engine > PERKINS OIL BATH AIR CLEANER

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-28-2009
ANOTHER REDNECK

Default k&n

i use 1/3 stp and 2/3 trans fluid......

always worked on bikes yrs ago and i bet it still does on the kn and I used straight 30 w on the oil baths.......remember that the oil bath will slosh!!! so fill it to the line and not too much........
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 01-28-2009
1987 FC35 "Traveller"

Default Oil Bath Filter

If your filter is similiar to the one John has pictured there is no filter, no wick, just a screen. Every tractor I've had uses this air cleaning principal.

The easy fix is to dump the oil, clean the cup, then replace the oil, I replace with what goes in the engine.

Do not overfill, only to the line on the cup.

The more difficult fix is to unbolt the cleaner, clean the screen. As you can see the screen is not replacable and inside the cannister. There is no way to flush through the screen.

I have used gas, Kerosene, and diesel to clean. I have soaked them for several hours to loosen the crud held to the screen. Amazing how much comes out that has attached itself to the screen. Just slosh the container imersed in the cleaner, set it vertical to drain out your solvent.

Now you understand how a disposable society found an alternate to an effictive way to clean air, it was messy, and it was time consuming to do it right.
Old 01-28-2009

Engine oil is quite heavy, so with a K&N filter it probably is too heavy for it to support. I would use ATF, but sparingly. I've used one of their filters in the past with their oil. It worked okay, but for the cost and effort it's easier to just change a paper one. I'm also concerned about the size of the pores in a K&N. They're quite large, leading me to believe it won't filter the small stuff. I'd really like to find somebody with one of the K&N demo units and dump some dust from my hepa air filter on it. Dump some on the paper and see what happens and compare to the standard paper filter they compare to. You always see the little pingpong ball rising, but if that's on a dry (no oil) filter, than it won't filter like an oiled one. Add the oil and then watch what happens. Anyway, for those using them you want a light weight oil, like ATF or the like. It also doesn't take much. I used an eye dropper to run the vanes with oil and let it sit overnight. There was always some draining off the next morning.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support