Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 02-23-2009

Default Exhaust Blanket

Just got back from a test run with new exhaust blankets installed....all is good!

Two years ago I installed new air bags on my coach, some of the exhaust blankets had to be removed to get to the right front bags on my 87FC. The insulation in the old blankets was brittle and falling apart but were reinstalled. I recently noticed burn holes in a few spots so I took them off and sent them to A.T.P. (Advanced Thermal Products) to use as a pattern.
www.atpwrap.com

The new blankets arrived in less than a week, in addition to the exhaust blankets I installed a turbo cover and what they call riser covers (small pipes from manifolds to turbo). It defiantly cuts down on the heat in the engine compartment and seems quieter in the coach as well. The kit came with manifold covers that were to bulky to fit down in the tight space I had to work with, so the next time I’m down in the area I will stop by A.T. P. and see if they can install them or make up some new ones that are not so thick.

I would have to say this has been the hardest job I’ve done on the coach to date. Getting those blankets on and in the correct position is tough, and then you need to get them laced with wire…WOW! The exhaust runs down along side the frame between the air bags and transmission along with lines from the transmission cooler and it’s just VERY difficult to get a hand up there…lots of obstacles. I worked from inside the dog house area as far as I could reach, then from several positions under the coach.

I think my hands will heal though and some Aleve for the rest of my body from the unnatural positions I was in for hours…I should be good to go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust_Blanket_009.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust_Blanket_006.jpg
Views:	1299
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust_Blanket_002.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1339  
Old 02-23-2009
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Default Exhaust Blanket

Hi Robert,

That a great looking engine and the wrap looks really good. Thanks for the link.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 02-23-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Just a little tip here about the use of exhaust blankets and tape style exhaust wraps, BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT GETTING THEM WET when and if you ever decide to clean your engine around where you have these wraps, or if you decide to use them in areas that can be exposed to moisture coming up from the road on rainy days. If they get wet and you don't specifically drive your coach enough to dry out any moisture that collects in between the wraps and the device(s) that they are covering that moisture collected there can result in rust and eventually can develop small pin holes in them, you would be surprised where water can get into.

I used the exhaust tape style wraps on a set of headers and since I like to keep my engine as clean as possible with the use of a pressure washer, so it isn't quite as much of a mess to work on, I failed to run the vehicle for a sufficient amount of time to effectively dry things out and eventually the headers developed small pin holes in the small pockets that surrounded some of the welds, resulting in having to replace them with ceramic coated headers, now I use that style of a wrap sparingly and I don't get them wet at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EXHAUST WRAP.jpg
Views:	2376
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1341  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-23-2009

You may want to look at
www.firwin.com
This is the company that is making the exhaust blankets for our exhaust systems

Stephen

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 02-23-2009

Rob, nice work. Your FC is a 'show coach'. You have raised the bar for all of us. Keep up the interesting posts. Thanks for your help on my throttle valve replacement.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 03-02-2009

Default Nice Coach!

Rob,

Your engine looks like a million bucks!! Nice Work... I would like to replace my doghouse blankets & engine exhaust blankets. If you don't mind my asking, how much did those blankets run you? Right now I have to deal with more important stuff on the to do list. But there is certainly room at the end of the list...

Best Regards,
Dan Leftwich
Somers NY
1987 35FC
"BaBar"
Old 03-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlefty View Post
Rob,

Your engine looks like a million bucks!! Nice Work... I would like to replace my doghouse blankets & engine exhaust blankets. If you don't mind my asking, how much did those blankets run you? Right now I have to deal with more important stuff on the to do list. But there is certainly room at the end of the list...
Dan,
There are a couple of options you will have that will determine the final coast. The difference is in what material you choose and if you want the manifold covers or not. I choose the higher grade material which is rated for higher temps; I don’t remember what the break down is in temperature differences off the top of my head. Also, I have not installed the manifold covers yet as it will be a tight fit and I’m going to let ATP do the job when I get down that way.

The complete kit is $1550; if they will break up the kit and leave out the manifold covers you can deduct about $400 of that price.

Advanced Thermal Products (ATP) saved the pattern for the kit in their computer under this part number “BRITTON 87-89 FC”

When you contact ATP ask for Roberto, he’s the engineering manager, very knowledgeable and a great guy to deal with.
www.atpwrap.com
Old 03-03-2009

Thanks Rob,

I will keep that in mind. Where did you get the engine paint from, CAT? You did a nice job of painting the engine...

Best Regards,
Dan Leftwich
Somers NY
1987 35FC
"BaBar"
Old 03-03-2009

Got the paint at the local Cat dealer “Cat Yellow”
Old 03-03-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default CAT spry paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlefty View Post
Thanks Rob,

I will keep that in mind. Where did you get the engine paint from, CAT? You did a nice job of painting the engine...
I have purchased very similar to CAT Yellow in aerosol spray cans from Tractor Supply sold under the brand name Valspar - Tractor & Implement Enamel - Equipment Yellow (NOT John Deere or Holland Yellow) http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...g=true&cFlag=1

Get it online from AcehardwareOutlet.com KRYLON 1805 FARM & IMPLEMENT SPRAY PAINT ENAMEL New Caterpillar Yellow http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(d4...px?SKU=1089432

Rust-Oleum Farm Equipment Paint, CAT Yellow
Model # 7449-830 http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/49-266-industrial-spray-paint/rust-oleum-farm-equipment-paint-510944.aspx

There is also an eBay auction for O.E. CAT yellow spray paint http://cgi.ebay.com/Caterpillar-Yell...3286.m20.l1116

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11