Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 04-02-2019

Somewhere......Someone found some automotive vinyl strips with double-sided tape that fit in the channels. It looked great and was cheap
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 04-02-2019

FYI, that 1/2" rubber I linked to, here's what a test piece looks like on my bird as compared to the original. The fit is perfect and the look is 90%, but mine is so old and most was shrunk so badly that it falls out of the trim on its own. The shape isn't exactly the same, but it arguably fits in the trim better than the original, or what's left of it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rubber1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	61109   Click image for larger version

Name:	rubber2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	61110  
Old 04-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor7cs View Post
As far as how they did anodizing Lefty's rails, they were excellent!!!
Just beware that the best way to "take off" the anodizing is with abrasive of some kind. If they are lazy and cheap like most anodizers they will just "cook" them long enough to "remove" the anodized layer so it will take a new one. But it will leave a very matte finish, not shiny! If they sand it down and do some level of polishing (fine sanding, not with a wheel) it will be shiny after anodizing.

Another option is to electropolish before ano, which that shop could have done, but that's even more rare. If this shop did either of these I would highly recommend you go there. I have been dealing with anodizers for a long time with my own machined parts, it's not fun.
Old 04-02-2019

You do NOT want to remove the anodizing with sand paper. It will take a heavy grit to accomplish this and you will most likely destroy the aluminum.
12 years ago I successfully removed the anodizing from all my aluminum trim using Easy Off oven cleaner. It takes time, do small areas at a time. And be sure to protect your paint.

Then about 7 years ago, I purchased my current trailer from Randy. I painted it to match the coach and found another full set of aluminum trim to install on the trailer. Before cutting and installing I did the same anodizing removal on it.

Of course with no protective coating, all this aluminum requires polishing from time to time. But man does it shine when polished.

Here is the full method for removal:
Work about 12 to 18 inches at a time. Spray a bunch of Easy Off into a dish. Brush on a liberal coating of Easy Off.
Let it sit until the anodizing starts to soften. (Sort of like paint remover)
Use 3 000 or 4 0000 steel wool to remove the softened anodizing.
After all anodizing is removed, wash thoroughly with soap and water.

The steel wool will make the trim very dull. Depending on how much of a shine you want, will dictate how much finishing work you need to do.
I started with 1000 grit wet sand paper and sanded all the trim. Then some polish. Not enough shine for me. Then went to 1500 grit and polish. Still not enough shine. So I went to 2500 grit wet sand paper, then Bushes aluminum polish with a buffing wheel. THAT did the trick.

So, every year or so, I simply break out the polish and buffing wheel and get to work. Has all this work worth it. ABSOLUTELY. When polished up the aluminum on both the coach and trailer look like chrome. I also replace all the black vinyl insert at that time.

Before anyone gets into this type of a project, feel free to give me a call to go over details. (603-283-8403)

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 04-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meyer View Post
You do NOT want to remove the anodizing with sand paper. It will take a heavy grit to accomplish this and you will most likely destroy the aluminum.
This is absolutely incorrect if you are going to have the trim reanodized! If you're just going to polish it up and not reanodize then you need to treat it like you said.
Old 04-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor7cs View Post
As far as how they did anodizing Lefty's rails, they were excellent!!!
The reason being is that I picked them up from Russel's and brought them to KC's Mayonnaise Farm, may he RIP...

I had David Russell Anodizing take the rails and strip the old anodizing off and put new anodizing on. They were the only shop in Florida to have large enough tanks to hold the ones off the bird. And yes they came out very good.

Yes Larry you did and Thank You for that !! I think about KC often . He was a good man and often inspires me to take on more projects . When you come east we have to get together .

Best Regards,
Dan Leftwich
Somers NY
1987 35FC
"BaBar"
Old 04-02-2019

I saw Lefty's trim after the new anodizing. They looked like factory new.
When I stripped mine, way back then, money was an issue. But I wanted to do something with them. They were badly stained. So I consulted a metal finishing shop about it. They were the ones that suggested using Easy Off to strip the anodizing and then polish them. I really like the chrome look it creates rather than the satin look of anodizing. And I don't mind the polishing once a year.
I usually do my wheels at the same time while I have the equipment out.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 04-02-2019

and I will bet if you live close to a Sams Club Don will do it for you

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 04-02-2019

This filler is the right stuff for the front aluminum trim on my old bus. It's the 1" wide version, and it's a perfect fit as you can see from the photo. Ebay Link

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rubber3.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	61125  
Old 04-02-2019

Hey thanks AL. LOL
Having done this once for the coach and again for the trailer, I can't see me doing it again. It was time consuming and aggravating at times. Probably because I was so particular and wanted the trim to look like chrome. The tedious part was sanding the nooks and crannies in that trim. But once it was done, it's just a matter of polishing once a year. And now that I'm talking about it so much means that I MUST get it polished up before Pine Mountain. LOL

Hey Al...I guess we need to polish up all that nice stainless steel you have now. At least no stripping or sanding involved. Just polishing.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler