Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 12-11-2008

Just for fyi, the flat panels do not like to be horizontal, the glass can't handle transport that way. That's why all their boxes keep them vertical.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 12-11-2008

Question Sony 26" Flat Panel TV Install??????

Howdy, Y'all.
I am replacing our old Toshiba TV with our new Sony 26" flat panel TV.

I am uploading some "before" photos because the installation has hit some snags. The photos will show the TV up in the cavity, on its' pedestal. Even with the old wood surround, SWMBO(Liz) doesn't want the side walls of the adjacent cabinets to show, it looks unfinished, she says.

OK, that means probably a wall mount. I want to use Greg's idea of building a false wall in that opening and mounting the Sony to it. I have some questions though. How was this "false wall" attached to the adjacent cabinets' side walls? How was the TV attached to that mount? One of the photos shows the four mounting holes on the back of our new TV. There are 2 photos showing the "false wall".

TIA,
Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV on Pedestal.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	844   Click image for larger version

Name:	RightSide.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	845   Click image for larger version

Name:	OpenCavity.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	846   Click image for larger version

Name:	LeftSide.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	847   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 threaded holes.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	848   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontSide.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	849   Click image for larger version

Name:	falseWall 1.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	850   Click image for larger version

Name:	FalseWall2.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	851  
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 12-11-2008

In my installation the panel sets flush upright (vertical) when in transit.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 12-11-2008

Yours looks pretty good, Lance. I was thinking about your friends', which sounded like it raises and lowers.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 12-11-2008

Way to complex for my needs. This is simple and takes up very very little more space than the old installation.

One of my friends has done a similiar installation in his Nemar, he has a strap that he uses to tie the TV down. He's found he doesn't need it.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 12-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post

I am not familiar with the TV dimensions in your 1993,
But, I did replace our original 15 inch TV recently, with a 19 inch.
I wanted an exact size replacement, as to have access to the left and right side overhead compartments, and I wanted it permanently screwed down when installed.
I searched for a long time to find a TV with speakers on the bottom rather than on the side panels.
There is an album in the old Forum with a picture of the 19 inch TV . It is also a computer montor. Installed with a little modification.
If this of interest to you , I can dig up the model number.

http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/gro...os/browse/be65

Bill 88 FC Michigan
Hi Bill,
I would like to do the same upgrade to my 87FC. What model tv did you end up using...it looks like a perfect fit!
Also, could you shed some light on how it is mounted.
Thanks!

Last edited by Robert Britton; 12-13-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2008

I would advise anyone looking to do their own TV installations above the cockpit area to keep safety first and foremost in their plans on how to mount and secure the TV to the overhead. I surely would never mount a TV on a VESA mount that was not a soild mount (i.e. please don't install a swing mount at any cost, they are not designed for the severe duty our coaches see in transit), and if the mount was made in China I would be even more concerned.
Fredericksburg, TX

Last edited by mbrund; 12-12-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-12-2008
pgchd

OK, that means probably a wall mount. I want to use Greg's idea of building a false wall in that opening and mounting the Sony to it. I have some questions though. How was this "false wall" attached to the adjacent cabinets' side walls?
- When Greg did this over a year ago, I believe he did a detailed write up in the other forum and gave link to his PB base of photos, not sure if John's project captured all of his info or not, you may be able to to a search....a guess from the picture you posted suggested he screwed wood parallel to the sidewalls that was thick enough to be able to put screws in and "angle cut" them so the false wall could be screwed to them flat and at the correct angle

How was the TV attached to that mount? One of the photos shows the four mounting holes on the back of our new TV.

All these Tv's have mounting systems that are made to a "standard" (VESA????) 10mm 12mm, etc..... cant remember the name they are usually on the box. Any mount you buy will come with the info screws, etc... go to "wally world" and look at their mounts, you will see what I am talking about. Also the book your tv came with will tell you the size mount (bolt pattern) like 10mm,11mm, etc mounting system you need

SWMBO(Liz) doesn't want the side walls of the adjacent cabinets to show, it looks unfinished, she says.

Not sure this will pass "muster" but their is a cheaper less labor intensive solution you might consider. Go to your local "boxstore" and get:
- 4'x4' plywood panel, they come in 1//16/,1/4,/1,8/ etc a bout 7-8 bucks
- some small screws
- quart of satin , flat or "laquer look black paint and a brush

"frame out the cabinet with above wood and screws, paint black- (the newly made framed cabinet interior , not your old wood bezel).....when you set the TV in, and put the original wood bezel back like in your photo, it will look finished and the cabiniet the tv sits in will blend with the black TV bezel"

There are many other ways to do this, I've seen a lot of 32' installs, Rob's come to mid, beautiful..... but all have a minor "finish" issues and being the creative people they are, they solved it differently......Greg used "satin/ spanexcloth??? Rob used black mesh steel formed to fit since he was with the "metal" master Jedi you know who!!!!

Good luck... I used the framed wood finish trick but it was on a 95 42 and for the old TV cabinet since I mount the flat panel somewhere else then added black smoked Plexiglas doors and new molding.

Last edited by pgchd; 12-12-2008 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spellling as ususal
Old 12-12-2008

John:

I've got a couple of friends who who have built units that lift into the ceiling. First, they're much more complex than what I think is needed. You do get some extra storage (not a lot), but, you lose some ceiling heigth. Again, I'm from the KISS way of thinking.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 12-12-2008

I hunted around on the various manuf. websites until I found a unit that had the specs I wanted (1080P) and fit the opening. Turns out one specific madel of Sharp fit the bill AND it has speakers that fire down from the lower front edge of the unit. Both of my side cabinet doors open fully.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV