Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > Forum Help

Forum Help Get help here if you're having trouble using the forum

Site Search:

Old 04-22-2017

Default Attached pictures rotate

Since joining the smart phone world with my iPhone 7, I cannot upload pictures anymore to the WOG forum without them rotating 90 degrees. I performed a couple of tests by uploading pictures into facebook and emails and they load correctly. This is my process:

1. Pictures automatically upload to Google Pictures on the phone.
2. Download pictures from Google Pictures to my laptop hard drive picture folder.
3. Upload pictures into WOG post and they rotate 90 degrees.

I have tried several solutions from internet search returns on the problem, none worked. I even tried to fool it by rotating the picture before uploading, that didn't work either.

I did not see anyway to change the picture view after uploading in WOG. Is there a WOG forum setting that needs managing? I have seen other posts with the same problem, what is the solution?

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42 (SOLD)
Old 04-22-2017

Laptop is running Windows 10

Andy & Jean Harmon
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42 (SOLD)
Old 04-22-2017
Geek

Rather than trying to explain the whole thing I'm going to point you to a good online explanation: https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why...ectly-rotated/

The vBulletin software that this forum is running would be what the article refers to as "old software."
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 04-22-2017

I use Photobucket (any image hosting web site will work) I upload all my hosted images to my Photobucket page and then link them (Embed them) I post on several forums and this way it is always exactly the same process no matter where I am posting

Example: (Yep that was mine)
Birdless for now!
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 04-22-2017

Thanks Don, I found the same geek article you posted the link to prior to my post for help though. Since I am running Windows 10 already, there is no other solution pointed out other than the website needs to be fixed. Quote below is from the article.

Quote:
The average website or desktop application should also obey Exif Orientation, although not all of them do. If a photo appears sideways when uploaded to a website, that website needs to be fixed–but you can probably rotate that image on that website anyway. Desktop tools for working with photos should also support Exif Orientation tags. If an application you use doesn’t, you may want to find a more modern application.
From the article it appears it may be a website issue and I have not had the problem otherwise, but I know others have encountered the same problem and resolved it. I could solve the problem if the photo could be rotated after uploading into the WOG post, but I do not see anyway to do that. Is it possible to do?

I also tried copying and pasting the Google Photo URL instead of uploading the picture from my laptop and that did not work either.

Andy & Jean Harmon
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42 (SOLD)
Old 04-22-2017
Geek

Did you note that they offered a program/solution? It is called JPEG autorotate. You may have skipped over it, because they describe it as a solution for Windows 7 users, but it should work as a general solution. As described, it rotates the image then removes the offending Exif tag from the picture. It shouldn't care what version of Windows you are running, and locally you won't notice the difference, just when uploading they will keep their orientation.
Old 04-23-2017

Success using QuickResizer4 app, free for 30 days!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0100.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	48385  

Andy & Jean Harmon
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42 (SOLD)
Old 04-23-2017
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Don, if I read the article you posted correctly, it says Window 10 with explorer will take care of the problem. Maybe that just means viewing the picture.
I have iPhone and widow 10 of both of my putters, and I can usually manage to get them straight some times. if not I can twist and save and it works. I do resize with ms office manager.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 04-23-2017
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie Lennon View Post
Maybe that just means viewing the picture.
That's what it means.

There are probably lots of photo editors that will solve the problem, but in most cases it will be accidentally. Likely most recent programs read the Exif headers and just duplicate them to the copy that you make. Older programs may not even read the Exif, and not insert them into any copies. In the first case, the problem is perpetuated, and in the latter it is taken care of. Exif information can include the camera, camera settings, date taken, gps info, etc. etc. etc

I use a variety of editors, including a quick-and dirty one I wrote 20 years ago. It definitely doesn't write Exif info, but I also use Photoshop, which does.
Old 04-23-2017

Easy Solution that I use. While my pictures will always auto rotate to the correct orientation on most computers and devices they will not on the WOG site. I also have an iPhone 7 and this was a problem on the earlier phones as well. The simple solution, Correctly rotate your phone as a camera before taking the photo you plan on using on WOG. This means your phone should be horizontal (sideways) with the volume buttons on the bottom. Your pictures will be correct for the WOG site.

David & Nicole Stokes
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677