Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 11-28-2017

Default Girard Awning LED Lighting

A brand new Girard installation I saw recently had an led light strip mounted in the groove/cavity/slot in the outboard edge extrusion of the awning. Looked great. This cavity was designed for sliding a screen drop along it, but removal of the end caps, and having to remove it for each retraction made it useless. The LED strip was a really nice use of the slot, so I duplicated the installation.

The cavity is a "T" kind of slot 3/8" wide and 3/8" deep. Most tapes are 0.39” wide and would not fit. The tape used was 0.31" from lightingever.com, SKU # 4100058-WW, non-dimmable, waterproof, with adhesive backing.

There are probably better ways to install this, and I don't know how Girard did it, but I stuck the strips to some 1/8" plastic sheet cut in strips, pushed them through, then pulled a 1/4" polypropylene rope (for no water absorption) through behind it with a messenger cord. This was to keep the strip from bouncing in the slot and dropping out.

Girard ran the cased wire bundle (I used 16-2 marine wire from West Marine) through the outboard arm, but on the top of the inboard arm. I ran it on top of both. Used white tie-wraps that are not too visible. You have to be careful of interference when closing, and enough loop at the bends to avoid straining the wire.

The pictures aren't great, but you get the idea. When the awning is extended, the led strip gives enough light for the patio, and when retracted, lights up the area next to the bus very well, better than the patio light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	52564   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	52565  
Old 11-28-2017
Forum owner

Now lets see them turned on Ron!
Hehehe! just kidding,they really look nice,good job!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-28-2017

Kinda hard for an amateur to take flash pictures of lights. You have to sort of imagine it.
Old 11-28-2017
Forum owner

Its good Ron,really,its good!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-28-2017

Good job, Ron. It makes me wish I had a slot in my ZipDee awning. Green LEDs would look great there.
87 FC SOLD
89 SP SOLD
94 WB SOLD
95 WB 42
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2015 GMC Acadia
207-939-3816
Old 11-29-2017
Forum owner

Hey mark,just glue the LEDs on the tube,it will still roll up just fine,the fabric with roll right over the lights.
But,you will have to use a cordless extension cord for power.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-29-2017

Ron - Great implementation! Did you wire them into the porch light? Use a power converter or straight to 12V of the porch light? Did you consider adding a remote or color changing LED function, or was the tape width a problem?

Last weekend I went to a free RV show at Phoenix stadium to see all the latest innovations (and because I’d never seen the inside of the Cardinal hangout). One of several mods caught my eye. Took pictures below and put the project on my to-do list. Note the cable routing and how nice LED’s look.

PS - the stadium is impressive especially from the field level. However while the stick & plastic diesel coaches were flashy & glamorous, I can’t say much for their junk construction
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E9B9F419-EE5C-4661-9017-701E16D3C2EA.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	52574   Click image for larger version

Name:	9D4A9CC0-9BBE-480C-A115-601493557198.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	52575   Click image for larger version

Name:	2F68DB68-A05D-4C49-94D5-77A7D89F1E8A.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	52576   Click image for larger version

Name:	AE44A401-EE52-4A28-AB47-2EFC3C2851DB.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	52577   Click image for larger version

Name:	5E90CE2F-FF65-4FB1-A7EF-6A69E7AA6681.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	52578  

Last edited by NoGas; 11-29-2017 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Added SOB pic
Old 11-30-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
Ron - Great implementation! Did you wire them into the porch light? Use a power converter or straight to 12V of the porch light? Did you consider adding a remote or color changing LED function, or was the tape width a problem?

Last weekend I went to a free RV show at Phoenix stadium to see all the latest innovations (and because I’d never seen the inside of the Cardinal hangout). One of several mods caught my eye. Took pictures below and put the project on my to-do list. Note the cable routing and how nice LED’s look.

PS - the stadium is impressive especially from the field level. However while the stick & plastic diesel coaches were flashy & glamorous, I can’t say much for their junk construction
Van,
I ran the wire through the wall over the door to a switch next to the awning control, then to its own cb on the overhead 12vdc cb panel. The patio light wiring is not too accessible on the inside.

Girard had a "U" shaped strip screwed to the top of the arm into which the wire had been pressed. That is hard to do with the awning there, so I just used three white tie-wraps on each of the two arms. Not pretty, but fairly unobtrusive.

Tape width was an issue. The slot inside dimension is 0.325, smaller than most led strips. The strip I found was 0.31.

Varying colors? Naaw. Thought that was a fad that would quickly lose its charm. Nice for an RV show, though.

From your pictures, it looks like they stuck the led strip to an outside surface. I don't trust that adhesive, from practical experience, so I thought inside the slot was perfect as the adhesive doesn't matter once the strip is in place with a backer strip behind it.

A fun project, but I seemed to create far too many self-inflicted issues on that one. It took way too long, but I like the results.
Old 11-30-2017

Here's how I did the wiring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010001_01.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	52601   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002_01.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	52602   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003 (2).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	52603  
Old 11-30-2017
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

In 2016 at Key West Mark Bragdon with very little help from me added a strip of LED's under the drip rail on my 'Bird and then earlier this year another strip was added continuing to the rear. It has been a love - hate relationship with the 3M adhesive that came on the strips, the front strip came loose but was secured back in place using 3M body side molding tape purchased at Oriely Auto Parts, the forward light now has decided to not light up completely but shows just a very dim light but the rear strip is still working great, it has been frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
It was add LED lights to the Finn's Inn Express with expert assistance from Mark Bragdon on the outside a LED strip was added under the drip rail, I had seen this done on a few 'Birds and liked the idea, they are wired into the outside porch light and they really light up the outside.

This photo is not an exaggeration of how bright they are.

To help me during those trips to the bathroom at night, I had a section of the outside LED strip left over, so I mounted it under the wire cover above the commode and wired it into the water pump switch, this SHOULD help me see where I aim.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11