Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > First-Timers and Newcomers

First-Timers and Newcomers Are you a first-timer, newcomer, or even a "wannabe"? This is the place to get your questions anwered.

Site Search:

Old 05-20-2018

Back up get out and look. Back up get out and look and don't let anyone intimidate you. Use the back up camera and mirrors but if you have any reservations stop set the brake and get out as need be. Also be very careful about letting some one "help" guide you. They may not have a clue. Every body has their own set of directions so some times the very last thing you need is help. AND lots of help meaning a bunch of men all giving instructions is a guarantee of trouble. Back it up look and do it yourself . Try not to do it after dark .

You can do this. Just take your time and stay clear of the unknown well intentioned helpers.

It's one thing having your husband help (and even that might be risky) but some stranger will get you nervous or worse.

No need to ask me how I know this.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 05-20-2018
Administrator

Good advise, another tip for the Book of Heckman
Old 05-21-2018

Thanks guys, for all the tips and words of encouragement. We installed a better back-up cam that works fulltime in the rearview mirror, since it's basically useless otherwise.

Lee County, Florida

1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"
1991 Toyota 4Runner TOAD or
1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 05-21-2018

I do not recommend backing up alone . I have done it many a time but i do not like it . At least with Erika on the phone she will scream if someone even a squirrel is about to be ran over . I notice that when I'm in reverse i have limited sight and the coach is big and heavy and little will stop it while it is moving .

I remember way back in the day with my PT86 i was making a turn and thought i felt something . I said to my dad , boy i thought I missed that curb , he quietly said son that was not a curb and if you don't stop I'm afraid you will run that car over . Well it was a car and no one was hurt but the car did need to be towed away . It seems I went far left to make a right and they tried to pass me on the inside . To this day I stay far right till swinging left for hard right terns .

So I like spotters even if there to only warn me of Hazards .

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 05-21-2018

Spotters are like marriages you have good ones and bad ones. I've had guys back me right into or over something . Your right in everything you said Al it's just that I am suggesting don't trust strangers and IF you have doubts it's still up to the driver to be in charge . No disagreement . I'm sure everyone understands.

My wife and I get into debates because she will say stuff like "your getting close to the picnic table". Well folks ya have to get close to stuff. And she'll walk behind the bus and I can't see her. Understand my heart pain

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 05-21-2018
dmbertrand

[QUOTE=bubblerboy64;416812]e to the picnic table". And she'll walk behind the bus and I can't see her.

All

My hard and fast rule with spotter "If I can't see you this bus does not move" PERIOD

Dean
dmbertrand@embarqmail.com
Old 05-21-2018
Forum owner

[QUOTE=dmbertrand;416814]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
e to the picnic table". And she'll walk behind the bus and I can't see her.

All

My hard and fast rule with spotter "If I can't see you this bus does not move" PERIOD

Dean
Smart man!i do the same.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-21-2018

I treat Parking Like Scuba Diving

Plan your Dive
Dive your plan

every campground, truck stop brings about different issues . Get out make a plan , locate wife or assistant and go slow . If everyone is waving , lol get out , regroup and try again

x2 Dean ,I no see you , you no help to me And it will not always be the same spot you place a spotter , so find your blind spot and get someone there to cover for you . If no one is around you need to get out often and look for yourself . Just simple stuff we all learn over the years . Be it by hitting stuff or just missing it . Lets see over the years I have hit .

A car
2 picnic tables
a air condition unit
a truck ( with trailer rear corner )
a tree ( overhead )
a fence ( mirror )
post at Flying J

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 05-21-2018
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Bud ain't worth a #!&* when it comes being a spotter for me and most of the time he is all that is available

When I leave Ryan Saari's place I have to back the bus and trailer around a street corner and Ryan does an excellent job being my spotter. Mark Bragdon has been another good spotter for me too.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-21-2018
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

I fired my wife as a spotter!

We were meeting a group up at Forest Lakes, AZ up on the rim and we got there late Friday night after a full days work, loading, and climbing the hill. When I got there I saw a good friend of mine took the best spot (he usually does) with shade and next to the group fire pit. He had his awning out and so I pulled in the bus with 24' trailer full of toys right between him and the fire pit. I was only about 2' away from his awning so in the morning when he opened up his door all he would see is.... BUS!

But after a moment i realized as funny as it would be I'd have to fire up the coach in the morning and at high altitudes and cold weather that would be a chore for that old 3208na motor. So I started to back up but I could not see the trailer in the mirrrors due to the smoke and reflections off my tail lights.

So, I opened up a window and asked the wife to watch the trailer. I started backing up and felt a little resistance. I thought the coach was simply settling in the damp earth so gave it a little more peddle. Just then the door opens and the wife says in a loud whisper, "Stop, you're jack-knifed!"

I said, why didn't you yell STOP? She said she didn't want to wake anyone! I told her I just parked a 35' diesel bus right next to a toyhauler, don't you think that woke them up???

So I fired her and bought a nice 8" flat screen backup camera! So next time you guys see "Putz'n Around" ask Tami about the rear dent on the passengers' side!
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509