Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-03-2018
ScottyDigital ScottyDigital is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 110
Default Buzzzz Went the Inverter / Charger

1992 SP36. Installed a TrippLite Inverter / Charger.

When plugged into shore power, and when the AC Charge breaker is ON for the inverter / charger to charge the batteries, I am getting a crazy BUZZZZZZZZZ through the entire audio system.

I have tried the following:

1: I tried to isolate the issue by plugging the inverter into a standard wall outlet at the factory, still buzzzzzzzzzzz through the audio system.

2: Pulled DC power for the Amplifiers from every location possible on the coach, it did not eliminate the issue.

3: Running all the power for the head unit and amplifiers through the Stock Noise filter that came with the bus.

4: I have also tried an AC plug in line conditioner, it did nothing as suspected.

5: I have tried ground loop idolaters on the RCA's no improvement at all.

I have rewired the entire inverter 4 times now, and nothing is working. Good news is that I do not get and charging noise through the DC side from the alternator when running. It is only when plugged into AC.

I am literally out of ideas at this point.
__________________
Scott Digital
92' SP36 (WonderBird)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-03-2018
Dieselbird01's Avatar
Dieselbird01 Dieselbird01 is offline
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Titusville
Posts: 3,891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDigital View Post
1992 SP36. Installed a TrippLite Inverter / Charger.

When plugged into shore power, and when the AC Charge breaker is ON for the inverter / charger to charge the batteries, I am getting a crazy BUZZZZZZZZZ through the entire audio system.

I have tried the following:

1: I tried to isolate the issue by plugging the inverter into a standard wall outlet at the factory, still buzzzzzzzzzzz through the audio system.

2: Pulled DC power for the Amplifiers from every location possible on the coach, it did not eliminate the issue.

3: Running all the power for the head unit and amplifiers through the Stock Noise filter that came with the bus.

4: I have also tried an AC plug in line conditioner, it did nothing as suspected.

5: I have tried ground loop idolaters on the RCA's no improvement at all.

I have rewired the entire inverter 4 times now, and nothing is working. Good news is that I do not get and charging noise through the DC side from the alternator when running. It is only when plugged into AC.

I am literally out of ideas at this point.
Have you called Tripp Lite?
__________________
John Wyatt
Titusville, Florida
1991 40' WLWB-WTB
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-03-2018
Randy Dupree's Avatar
Randy Dupree Randy Dupree is online now
Forum owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port St Joe,Fl
Posts: 35,608
Default

whats the condition of the batteries?
New?
Old?
Dead?
Do you have a load tester?
__________________
DO NOT SEND PM
email me at randy@randydupree.com only.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-03-2018
gcyeaw's Avatar
gcyeaw gcyeaw is offline
Gardner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ridgewood
Posts: 8,845
Default

Is this a new issue? Your noise filter may have issues.
__________________
Gardner Yeaw
86 PT-36 Golden Memories
83FC35 SB $IXTEEN TON$ SOLD
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-03-2018
badandy badandy is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: delavan
Posts: 2,495
Default

What model inverter is it?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-03-2018
Bill Pape's Avatar
Bill Pape Bill Pape is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Commerce
Posts: 11,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Is this a new issue? Your noise filter may have issues.
most filters are under the couch , has it been disconnected ??
__________________
Bill & Patty
1988 FC, Silver Edition
Commerce, Michigan
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-03-2018
Dieselbird01's Avatar
Dieselbird01 Dieselbird01 is offline
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Titusville
Posts: 3,891
Default

The point I was trying to make is that there wouldn’t be any buzz if the charger was only producing clean DC.
__________________
John Wyatt
Titusville, Florida
1991 40' WLWB-WTB
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-03-2018
Randy Dupree's Avatar
Randy Dupree Randy Dupree is online now
Forum owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port St Joe,Fl
Posts: 35,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
The point I was trying to make is that there wouldn’t be any buzz if the charger was only producing clean DC.
I know where you were going with that,but Scott has had a history of bad batteries,and i have heard chargers hum like mad while trying to charge shorted batteries.
Or even when hooking a charger up backwards,you get big noise.
__________________
DO NOT SEND PM
email me at randy@randydupree.com only.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-03-2018
ScottyDigital ScottyDigital is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
Have you called Tripp Lite?
It was like asking a 90 year old to explain the internet…….. They were of no help, but said they will get back to me.
__________________
Scott Digital
92' SP36 (WonderBird)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-03-2018
ScottyDigital ScottyDigital is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
whats the condition of the batteries?
New?
Old?
Dead?
Do you have a load tester?
4 new DC coach, 160 AMP, all working well, will load test again.
2 New DC Start, spiral wound, both seem good, will also load test.
__________________
Scott Digital
92' SP36 (WonderBird)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choices - New Inverter / charger combo, or New Smart Charger Debugjaws Electrical 11 11-19-2017 02:05 PM
Inverter/Charger Earthwalker Electrical 40 08-31-2017 07:03 AM
What inverter / charger to buy? kylep9 Electrical 18 11-05-2015 12:53 PM
Xantrex Inverter charger BlueBird on the Horizon PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) 12 02-12-2013 03:18 PM
Freedom 25 Inverter/Charger rrueckwald Parts Wanted 2 01-06-2012 12:57 PM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.