Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 08-22-2018

Default Bendix Cruise Control-1990 wbpt

Looks like I will have to learn about the bendix cruise control. When you turn it on it immediately turns on the "check engine" light. Turn the cruise control off and the light goes off. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Only recent work maybe related is the retarder was worked on and now works. However, I think the cruise worked after the retarder was fixed. I have not tried to use the cruise with the retarder turned off. Will next time out. Before, the cruise worked perfectly.
Another possibility, had a toad hooked up at the time, could the wires to the toad be an issue? Will be easy to check by going for a ride with out the toad.

I have not checked anything yet. Any thoughts and replies appreciated.

Thanks,

Spencer Champion
1990 PT-40 Blue Thunder
Old 08-22-2018

Check the cruise switches, if they fail, or a wire comes off it will throw a fault...

HTH, Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 08-22-2018
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by schamp View Post
Looks like I will have to learn about the bendix cruise control. When you turn it on it immediately turns on the "check engine" light. Turn the cruise control off and the light goes off. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Only recent work maybe related is the retarder was worked on and now works. However, I think the cruise worked after the retarder was fixed. I have not tried to use the cruise with the retarder turned off. Will next time out. Before, the cruise worked perfectly.
Another possibility, had a toad hooked up at the time, could the wires to the toad be an issue? Will be easy to check by going for a ride with out the toad.

I have not checked anything yet. Any thoughts and replies appreciated.

Thanks,

Spencer Champion
Does a 90 WB have a Bendix Cruise Control? I thought the engine ECM and transmission ECU handled the cruise control function like they do on my 91?

On my 91, you're not supposed to have retarder and cruise control on at the same time.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 08-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
On my 91, you're not supposed to have retarder and cruise control on at the same time.
Hi John, Is there a reason why not? I understand that both should never activate at the same time, but I thought that the way mine was wired that the retarder will cancel the cruise when it applies since it applies the brake lights as well (which cancels cruise).

It doesn't make sense to run the cruise while the retarder is in 'apply' mode since it will cancel the cruise every time the throttle is lifted. But Cruise and retarder in 'enable' will cancel the cruise when the brake pedal is applied. I've driven like this and it seems fine.

Always value your opinion.
Old 08-22-2018

Probably should have said more...

The 90's dont have bendix cruise, flashing the check engine light indicates that the ddec sees a problem.

I know that if the cruise switches are in an 'illegal' mode the ddec will throw a fault and flash the check engine light.

It would be a good idea to see what faults flash out...

HTH, Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 08-22-2018

Thanks for the replies. Once I saw the light come on I turned the cruise immediately back off. Then the light went out. And stayed out. Turn the cruise back on and light comes on. I turned cruise back off and left it off. I didn't want engine to go in limp home mode if it has one or go to idle and force me to side of the interstate.
First things first I guess. Find out what type it is. Bendix or something else. Check wires, etc.

If I can't find it (meaning something simple) then back to Coachcraft to Glenn. He is a master diagnostician. Especially with Detroit Diesel equipment.

Would their be a code stored it light goes back out?

Thanks
1990 PT-40 Blue Thunder
Old 08-22-2018

Pretty sure you have a DDEC II and no bendix.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-22-2018

Yes Rick its a DDEC II. I know because it was replaced just about 6 months ago. Still under warranty. I want to make sure the problem doesn't reside within...

Thanks
1990 PT-40 Blue Thunder
Old 08-22-2018
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose View Post
Hi John, Is there a reason why not? I understand that both should never activate at the same time, but I thought that the way mine was wired that the retarder will cancel the cruise when it applies since it applies the brake lights as well (which cancels cruise).

It doesn't make sense to run the cruise while the retarder is in 'apply' mode since it will cancel the cruise every time the throttle is lifted. But Cruise and retarder in 'enable' will cancel the cruise when the brake pedal is applied. I've driven like this and it seems fine.

Always value your opinion.
I should have worded it differently – I guess I just consider “Enabled” to be “Enabled “and “Apply” to be “on”.

Like you, I run with my retarder switch in the “Enabled” position a lot since “Enabled” allows air brake pressure to turn “on” the retarder.

The “Apply” position on the other hand, supplies power to the “Fulltime Retarder relay” which normally turns the retarder "on" when the throttle is released but… my coach and at least a few others that I’ve heard of, will go many miles on flat ground with the retarder switch in “Apply” and the cruise control “on” because apparently the transmission ECU doesn’t sense the throttle as being released if the cruise control function is controlling the throttle. In that case everything seems fine until descending a hill activates the retarder and kicks off the cruise control - leaving the operator wondering why his cruise control keeps dropping out.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 08-24-2018

Yes, should be DDEC II. Press and hold the test engine switch and note the light pattern. The codes are two digits, so the light will flash for the first digit, pause, then the next. In the files section is a list of the DDEC II engine codes.

Diego