Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 01-11-2019

Default Radiused Mattress??

Have any of you replaced your mattress with a newer style memory foam and have had the corners radiused? I am looking for recommendations. We love our memory foam with top cooling gel layer and want to put one in the coach. I know there are a few companies out there that will make a mattress with rounded corners. I figured i would check with you guys to see if anyone has had any good or bad experiences ordering one.

David & Nicole Stokes
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677
Old 01-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stokes View Post
Have any of you replaced your mattress with a newer style memory foam and have had the corners radiused? I am looking for recommendations. We love our memory foam with top cooling gel layer and want to put one in the coach. I know there are a few companies out there that will make a mattress with rounded corners. I figured i would check with you guys to see if anyone has had any good or bad experiences ordering one.
Dave, Buy your choice of memory foam mattress and use an electric carving knife and radius your own corners, if that is what you want. Even a super sharp long blade knife will cut the foam cleanly. I have such a knife and used it many times to cut foam. Now the gel top you are talking about I am not familiar with and don't know how that would work. If it doesn't flow then it should be OK too.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 01-11-2019

Just bought one from mattressinsiders.com. Too soon to tell, but looks good. They have them with and without 10" radius corners on the front.
Old 01-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Dave, Buy your choice of memory foam mattress and use an electric carving knife and radius your own corners, if that is what you want. Even a super sharp long blade knife will cut the foam cleanly. I have such a knife and used it many times to cut foam. Now the gel top you are talking about I am not familiar with and don't know how that would work. If it doesn't flow then it should be OK too.

I thought about doing just that. However, most memory foam mattresses come with a nice zip off cover that is form fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Just bought one from mattressinsiders.com. Too soon to tell, but looks good. They have them with and without 10" radius corners on the front.

Thanks Ron, I think that was one of the online retailers I was considering.

David & Nicole Stokes
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677
Old 01-12-2019

We replaced ours and just stuffed it into a mattress bag. Mattress seems happy and I sleep like a baby.

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Old 01-12-2019

[QUOTE=Dave Stokes;439862]I thought about doing just that. However, most memory foam mattresses come with a nice zip off cover that is form fitting.

I have never had one, but realized after seeing Ron's post and following the link, that wasn't such a good idea. Glad Ron found someplace that will work.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 01-12-2019

I had a mattress custom made here in Tulsa. Radius corners, short queen, and even "tapered" like my original. By tapered, I mean the foot is about 4 inches narrower than the head of the mattress. Not depth of mattress, width!

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Old 01-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post

That was not one of the sites I had looked at. Which mattress did you go with? I looked at the top five memory foam mattresses they had listed and could not find one with a radiused corner.

David & Nicole Stokes
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677
Old 01-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stokes View Post
That was not one of the sites I had looked at. Which mattress did you go with? I looked at the top five memory foam mattresses they had listed and could not find one with a radiused corner.
If you scroll down to the bottom of the size choice, that's where the radius mattress is placed in the list. Are you looking in RV mattresses?
Old 01-13-2019

That web site's RV mattresses are gel foam. I assume that is different from memory foam? Looks like if you want memory foam, you would have to go to the custom mattress section of that website.

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43