Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-11-2019
Dave Stokes Dave Stokes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,090
Default Radiused Mattress??

Have any of you replaced your mattress with a newer style memory foam and have had the corners radiused? I am looking for recommendations. We love our memory foam with top cooling gel layer and want to put one in the coach. I know there are a few companies out there that will make a mattress with rounded corners. I figured i would check with you guys to see if anyone has had any good or bad experiences ordering one.
__________________

David & Nicole Stokes
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-11-2019
isp2952's Avatar
isp2952 isp2952 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1520 N. Binkley Rd., Larwill, IN 46764
Posts: 6,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stokes View Post
Have any of you replaced your mattress with a newer style memory foam and have had the corners radiused? I am looking for recommendations. We love our memory foam with top cooling gel layer and want to put one in the coach. I know there are a few companies out there that will make a mattress with rounded corners. I figured i would check with you guys to see if anyone has had any good or bad experiences ordering one.
Dave, Buy your choice of memory foam mattress and use an electric carving knife and radius your own corners, if that is what you want. Even a super sharp long blade knife will cut the foam cleanly. I have such a knife and used it many times to cut foam. Now the gel top you are talking about I am not familiar with and don't know how that would work. If it doesn't flow then it should be OK too.
__________________

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-11-2019
rrueckwald rrueckwald is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Joseph
Posts: 3,233
Default

Just bought one from mattressinsiders.com. Too soon to tell, but looks good. They have them with and without 10" radius corners on the front.
__________________
Ron & Dorinda Rueckwald
St. Joseph, MI
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2019
Dave Stokes Dave Stokes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Dave, Buy your choice of memory foam mattress and use an electric carving knife and radius your own corners, if that is what you want. Even a super sharp long blade knife will cut the foam cleanly. I have such a knife and used it many times to cut foam. Now the gel top you are talking about I am not familiar with and don't know how that would work. If it doesn't flow then it should be OK too.

I thought about doing just that. However, most memory foam mattresses come with a nice zip off cover that is form fitting.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Just bought one from mattressinsiders.com. Too soon to tell, but looks good. They have them with and without 10" radius corners on the front.

Thanks Ron, I think that was one of the online retailers I was considering.
__________________

David & Nicole Stokes
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2019
CaptPegLeg CaptPegLeg is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kitty Hawk
Posts: 910
Default

We replaced ours and just stuffed it into a mattress bag. Mattress seems happy and I sleep like a baby.
__________________

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2019
isp2952's Avatar
isp2952 isp2952 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1520 N. Binkley Rd., Larwill, IN 46764
Posts: 6,361
Default

[QUOTE=Dave Stokes;439862]I thought about doing just that. However, most memory foam mattresses come with a nice zip off cover that is form fitting.


I have never had one, but realized after seeing Ron's post and following the link, that wasn't such a good idea. Glad Ron found someplace that will work.
__________________

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-2019
BrianS BrianS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Coweta
Posts: 896
Default

I had a mattress custom made here in Tulsa. Radius corners, short queen, and even "tapered" like my original. By tapered, I mean the foot is about 4 inches narrower than the head of the mattress. Not depth of mattress, width!
__________________

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-13-2019
Dave Stokes Dave Stokes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Just bought one from mattressinsiders.com. Too soon to tell, but looks good. They have them with and without 10" radius corners on the front.

That was not one of the sites I had looked at. Which mattress did you go with? I looked at the top five memory foam mattresses they had listed and could not find one with a radiused corner.
__________________

David & Nicole Stokes
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-13-2019
rrueckwald rrueckwald is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Joseph
Posts: 3,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stokes View Post
That was not one of the sites I had looked at. Which mattress did you go with? I looked at the top five memory foam mattresses they had listed and could not find one with a radiused corner.
If you scroll down to the bottom of the size choice, that's where the radius mattress is placed in the list. Are you looking in RV mattresses?
__________________
Ron & Dorinda Rueckwald
St. Joseph, MI
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-13-2019
BrianS BrianS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Coweta
Posts: 896
Default

That web site's RV mattresses are gel foam. I assume that is different from memory foam? Looks like if you want memory foam, you would have to go to the custom mattress section of that website.
__________________

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Mattress CaptPegLeg General 10 07-27-2018 03:45 PM
Air Mattress curtsprenger General 4 12-06-2017 02:10 PM
Mattress replacement Miamijoe LX and LXI (Unique Issues) 3 07-24-2012 11:21 PM
mattress HummerH1 Parts Wanted 6 01-11-2012 07:22 AM
Mattress Rick 'Bird Projects & Modifications 15 05-08-2010 08:58 AM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.