Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 03-31-2019

Default My Take - TPMS is Mandatory When Pulling a Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
Why did you decide to remove the theft guards. I also did the same after replaceing the batteries. I had issues with two senors also after replacing the batteries, they failed. It just became easier to put them on and off without the theft guard for me...
Exactly.

I would NEVER run without a TPMS if pulling a toad. It’s handy for the coach but is a mandatory safety item on a toad. Many years ago, my parents were pulling a Nissan truck behind their gas powered motorhome. The truck blew a rear tire and the only way they knew it was the people behind them getting their attention. Before stopping, they had driven a ways with the tire on fire as the rim ground down and disintegrated. The truck was totaled but luckily the fire didn’t spread to either the toad gas tank or their Ford 460 powered motorhome. With the torque our diesel engines have, we’d never notice if the same thing happened to us. I also have an upgraded rear camera, for the same reason. Running without a TPMS on your toad is like playing the line & shooting Craps, sooner or later you will 7-Out.
Old 03-31-2019

I don't use them. I also don't use valve extenders or check air pressure during a drive either. On a California Bit inspection or Scale pull on commercial trucks, stuff like this often prompts a fix-it-ticket. Many reasons to use them, but nothing can be better than a stop and walk around every 150 to 200 miles or running your 8 tires every month to keep them round.

As for the tow'ed car, I bet there is a hack or device out there where you can read the OEM OBD stuff reading the tire pressure. I have a couple of Fiat 500Electric vehicles with aftermarket OBD stat and GPS location reporting devices. The newest one (2016 I think) has a Chrysler app that will allow me to check tire pressure from my office. On these cars the OBD is probably powered up all the time so owners can check battery charging states and start the air conditioners to bring cabin up to temp while hooked up to shore power. If I was concern I would invest the time in learning how to read the tow'ed OEM stuff
Old 04-01-2019

TST. I had Tire Minder and hated it.
I have flow throughs on the bus and regulars on the toad. I spoke with TST engineer about reading OEM Toad Sensors. He said it could be done, but the OEM's won't give out the code and every OEM is different.
He also said, he could not give out the TST code.

I no longer carry a tire gauge. I just take my monitor in hand and fill tires through the sensor. The TST system has proven very accurate.

Tire Minder was all over the place. It was making me check tires even more than I would have without a system
Birdless for now!
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 04-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshrimp View Post
TST. I had Tire Minder and hated it.
I have flow throughs on the bus and regulars on the toad. I spoke with TST engineer about reading OEM Toad Sensors. He said it could be done, but the OEM's won't give out the code and every OEM is different.
He also said, he could not give out the TST code.

I no longer carry a tire gauge. I just take my monitor in hand and fill tires through the sensor. The TST system has proven very accurate.

Tire Minder was all over the place. It was making me check tires even more than I would have without a system
Like Randy, I had two different sets of tire minders. My first and and last. Took Randy’s suggestion and purchased TST system. Could not be happier with the system.
864-580-0909
NO PM please
Old 04-01-2019

I have been using the EEZ Tire TPMS for two plus years now on the bus and toad with no complaints.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42 (SOLD)
Old 04-01-2019

I've been running the Pressure Pro system for about 14 years. Only had 2 false alarms in all those years. Only problem with Pressure Pro is their batteries are NOT replaceable. So I end up replacing sender units every 3 to 5 years. At $35 each. However, the set I have on now is 7 years old. I found that if I remove them when sitting for a week or more, the batteries have been doing just fine.

To replace all 8 sending units at $35 each every 5 years may seem a little crazy. ($280) But heck that's less than half the cost of a tire. And if I had a blow out, the damage to the coach, plus a new tire, plus potentially an accident and damage to someone else....well, that $280 insurance policy every 5 years or more, doesn't seem so crazy. Especially when you figure in the total cost of running the coach full time for the last 10 years, that $280 becomes inconsequential.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 04-01-2019
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

EEZ RV system for me.

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...d.php?p=376299
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 04-01-2019

[QUOTE=rshrimp;447145]TST. I had Tire Minder and hated it.
He also said, he could not give out the codesi[/QomUOTE]

I bet it is only a matter of time that tire pressure monitoring system health and reading will be part of the emissions Comprehensive Component Monitor CCM test to prove a check engine light or pass state smog. The OEM paramater IDs will then be public. i wonder if the interest in proving tirepressure reading is more for avoiding blow outs or for fuel efficiency and fed mpg rules. One of my issues with these add to the tire stem system is the additional risk of leak, trust of the data it sends and unbalance of wheel. My Land Rover spits a dash warning at 7# off, my Fiat electric cars spit a warning at 2# off I still just kick the tires on my Pinto and no blowouts.

Collecting data realtim is cool but not as a replacement to pull into a rest area and do a walk around.
Old 04-01-2019

[QUOTE=rshrimp;447145]TST. I had Tire Minder and hated it.
He also said, he could not give out the codesi[/QomUOTE]
I bet it is only a matter of time that tire pressure monitoring system health and reading will be part of the emissions Comprehensive Component Monitor CCM test to prove a check engine light or pass state smog. The OEM paramater IDs will then be public. i wonder if the interest in proving tirepressure reading is more for avoiding blow outs or for fuel efficiency and fed mpg rules. One of my issues with these add to the tire stem system is the additional risk of leak, trust of the data it sends and unbalance of wheel. My Land Rover spits a dash warning at 7# off, my Fiat electric cars spit a warning at 2# off I still just kick the tires on my Pinto and have bad no blowouts so far.
Old 04-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
I roll with EEZ. I had a problem with two sensors failing when I replaced the batteries. It was a little of back and forth trouble shooting then they sent out new sensors AFTER I mailed back the old ones.

I just had two more batteries die, let’s see what happens.