Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > First-Timers and Newcomers

First-Timers and Newcomers Are you a first-timer, newcomer, or even a "wannabe"? This is the place to get your questions anwered.

Site Search:

Old 04-04-2019

Default Proud Owner of 1988 WB40 in Michigan

First time RV owner. First time big-rig driver. Purchased a 1988 WB40. It is a thing of beauty, but still in the phase where I'm questioning my sanity and what on earth I was doing purchasing a 30 year old machine.

Interior is thing of beauty. My local WW Williams shop assures me it'll run like a top after they're done with it (and my Visa card). It's had a list of upgrades a mile long and still has an endless to-do list. Planning to do some serious road-trips with my wife, 4 kids, and dog.

Currently in the shop for new air-compressor coolant hoses, selection of other hoses, fresh coolant, new tie-rod ends/drag link ends, racor rebuild, diesel tank petcock valve replace (and drain out old fuel to see what nasties lurk inside), 4 new batteries, and a variety of other mechanical items. Recently finished up new power/ground to DDEC1, oil pressure sender, transmission fluid, new fluids for generator, and a few dozen other things. That and some new front steer tires, and we'll be ready for summer!

If someone in west Michigan is familiar with this generation coach and could show me some of the ropes (like how to turn on the propane furnaces, for example), I'd be willing to trade beer for knowledge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ripple 1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	61145  
1988 WB40
hasn't been named yet...
Old 04-04-2019

Make sure the propane switch on the dash is turn on. These things have switches on top of switches.
1990 PT-40 Blue Thunder
Old 04-04-2019

John Congrats. Welcome to the WOG. Their is a wealth of information on here. People on here will gladly help and try to answer any of your questions.
1999 Blue Bird 43LXi
Body # F123448
Chassis # 84788
Old 04-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple_john View Post
First time RV owner. First time big-rig driver. Purchased a 1988 WB40. It is a thing of beauty, but still in the phase where I'm questioning my sanity and what on earth I was doing purchasing a 30 year old machine.

Interior is thing of beauty. My local WW Williams shop assures me it'll run like a top after they're done with it (and my Visa card). It's had a list of upgrades a mile long and still has an endless to-do list. Planning to do some serious road-trips with my wife, 4 kids, and dog.

Currently in the shop for new air-compressor coolant hoses, selection of other hoses, fresh coolant, new tie-rod ends/drag link ends, racor rebuild, diesel tank petcock valve replace (and drain out old fuel to see what nasties lurk inside), 4 new batteries, and a variety of other mechanical items. Recently finished up new power/ground to DDEC1, oil pressure sender, transmission fluid, new fluids for generator, and a few dozen other things. That and some new front steer tires, and we'll be ready for summer!

If someone in west Michigan is familiar with this generation coach and could show me some of the ropes (like how to turn on the propane furnaces, for example), I'd be willing to trade beer for knowledge.
Did somebody say BEER?!!!!!!

Seriously, bring the coach down to Shipshewana in June. Call and see if there are any cancellations. 260-768-7770 If not have them put your name on the list. Plus there are a number of other places close by that you could stay at and just drive over to visit and participate. Not as much fun as being right there, but you will still get to know a lot of people and we can show yo how to operate your various systems. Hope to see you there.

I'd offer to come up but you caught me at a busy time so I just can't take the time now or I would. We have a good friend up there I would love to see so I could kill two birds with one stone as they say, but time is a premium for me right now. Of course you could always bring the bus down to my place if you wanted. I have hookups and a big driveway.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 04-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple_john View Post

Do you know what they are using to rebuild you drag link ends ?

Your tie rod ends should be available off the shelf.
Old 04-04-2019

Default welcome

Congrats & welcome aboard! Please do yourself a huge favor & attend a rally ASAP it will solve the majority of the mysteries associated with these machines. The WOG members are more than willing to help, the tech sessions are very informative & the food is great.
2003 43 LXi
Old 04-04-2019

Assuming all is normal and operating, to turn on LP heaters located in living area, kitchen area and bedroom:
1. Turn on gas valve at tank.
2. Turn on electronics master switch if there is a shutoff solenoid at the tank.
3. Reset LP leak detector if need be, you should see a green light. Mine is below the dinette, yours may be somewhere else but should be centrally located in the kitchen/dinette area. My original one was bad, replaced with a Safe-T-Alert 70 series and a new solenoid.
4. Turn on individual valves on gas lines going to furnaces (should be at furnace)
5. At individual house thermostats (likely just two, front one turns on living and kitchen area furnaces), turn off electric heat switches beneath them, note if toggle switch on bottom of thermostat is on or off.
6. At dash, turn on LP GAS switch, green light should come on.
7. Set desired temperature at house thermostat(s) if not already and turn switch on if off in #5.
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 98k/22xx hours
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 04-05-2019

My '88 PT-40 also had a summer/winter switch above the driver, had to be set to "winter" as well as all other steps above. But mine wasn't WB so may have been different
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 04-05-2019

Summer/Winter only affects the chassis water loop heaters. LP is not controlled by that.
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 98k/22xx hours
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 04-05-2019

Good call on the dash button switch(s)! There is the obvious making sure tank valve is open, checked that valve right before furnace is open, light on control box by dinette is green... but need to double-check that the switch under the sink is turned on and the dash switch is on and check the summer/winter switch... you are right, switches on top of switches!

Jim Walters - Larwill, IN isn't too far from Grand Rapids. I might be interested in driving down some Saturday to get a tutorial on the how the systems work. My challenge is that I'm not quite sure what is "operator error" vs. "something is broken"... (see furnace above)… I'm fairly certain the plumbing is original (or pretty close to it). I've read lots here on the WOG and can sort of understand, but it's a pretty complex system!

I'll check the Shipshewana rally... hadn't heard of that one (saw the Poncho Pond)… and didn't connect that it was so close to Grand Rapids.

Kiki - not sure what they are using for drag link ends. The guy working on it at WW Williams seems to be a pretty sharp guy and they've treated me fair. No complaints on that front.
1988 WB40
hasn't been named yet...