Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 1 Week Ago

Default Cummins ISL Plastic to Steel Oil Pan Change

My ISL400 in the 2004 M380 had an issue yesterday most likely caused when the drain plug was overtightened or otherwise damaged the last time the oil was changed at a Speedco in CA. To my chagrin, we found the oil pan to be ABS plastic or similar (!!). The drain plug screws into a combination of threaded fittings best described as a male and female nut that fastens on either side of the oil pan. The inboard nut is supposed to sit in a groove and not turn and the outer nut is supposed to be fastened tightly to it. These were sealed by an o-ring.

In my case, routine removal of the drain plug for the annual oil change was frustrated due to the outer nut evidently being cross-threaded and also turning along with, it seemed, the inner nut. Only solution was to pull the oil pan.

It turns out that Cummins had other problems with the Fisher Price oil pan and stopped supporting it. I would have been fine had I been able to get inner and outer fittings for it. No such luck. WOGer Shawn Kravitsky saw my post and replied to me via e-mail with the following parts list for the steel pan and related components needed - the oil pickup, bolts et.c. need to be replaced along with the pan.

This is shaping up to be the most expensive oil change I've ever had to do... so you might consider a Fumoto or similar quick drain valve or similar the next time you pull your drain plug out, or stockpile these parts along with a few extra hours to pull the rear bumper, support the engine and remove the rear crossmember then remove the plastic oil pan (!!) and replace it with a real part.

Hope this saves you some time, regardless
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	partsoptiondet.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	65051   Click image for larger version

Name:	partspic.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	65052   Click image for larger version

Name:	partslist.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	65053  
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 98k/22xx hours
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others

Last edited by chiplamb; 1 Week Ago at 10:37 PM. Reason: Bad grammar
Old 1 Week Ago

What were they thinking? I will say though, the steel pan on my 5.9 in my pickemup truck rusted through at about 210,000 miles. And I just put the 3rd new rear diff cover (also steel, and new factory) on, too. Rusted right through. Maybe it was a good idea to go plastic?
Old 1 Week Ago

It may be SS and not MS. We'll see
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 98k/22xx hours
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others