Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 09-04-2009

Default Anyone built bunk beds - got any advice?

Hi everyone.
Its been awhile, but so many campgrounds dont have good internet on the road. Our trip changed but we still had a blast. Now that we are docked at my inlaws. I have time to work on some upgrades. My plan in to convert the one of the twin beds to a bunk bed for the kids and the other twin bed will get convert to a much needed closet setup witha small TV for the kids to use. Has anyone done a bunk bed and got any advice? Also, closet ideas or suggestions?

On another todo this winter, I got to drop the gas tank for the generator and reseal or replace. I got to pull up carpet and put new flooring down (hardwood or fake), replace battery power and ground cables, replace forward roof vent, and reseal door and front window. If time, I plan on experimenting with painting it as well in spring and painting trailer to match.
Member webpage: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...mber.php?u=777
Old 09-04-2009
Gardner

Chad,
All I can say is that if your gennie gas tank is leaking I would put that on the top of my list. Gas is just too volitile to play around with.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 10-16-2009

Default Anyone built bunk beds - got any advice?

Chad:
Been a while, , have you made any changes to your coach. You were considering making bunk beds or something to sleep your kids.

Any pics would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 10-16-2009

I havent had the time yet to touch the inside of the coach. I have been reading up on winterizing the old coach and doing it today. I plan on making bunk beds on one side and an enclosed closet on the other side for more storage. That closet will have a small TV for the kids too. I need to finish measuring. Ikea is where I'm thinking of getting some of the internal working parts of the closet. They were very reasonable on price last time I was there. I have also drained the fuel tank for gen, but not much beyond that since my car needed some updates.

My 06 VW Beetle needed new tires and shocks as they were wore out with almost 65k. So, I installed a 2 inch lift kit and new shocks all way around with new bump stops, new 15" rims with tall 225/60/15 BFG TA in front and 255/60/15 BFG TA in rear. It looks like a cool little beach buggy, or at least the start of one. It doesnt drag anymore on anything... The lift actually make the car feel more solid, well that and the wide tires help.

I'll post more as I can. I plan on making some outlines to work from on paper first. measure three times, cut once.
Member webpage: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...mber.php?u=777
Old 11-13-2018

I understand that I was a little late for the party, but I have some interesting observations that I want to share.

If you're willing to screw 2x4's to the wall, all you need is 1 post. My dad was a carpenter in Louisiana and built tons of bunks like all these types of beds https://10restbest.com/best-storage-beds over the years on offshore supply boats and tugboats.

He would screw a 1x4 to the back wall and side wall (if in a corner. Then run a single ~7' 1x4 to post and then ~3' 1x4 back to the wall. Would rout oak boards to screw to the outside. Cut the plywood to fit right on the 1 x4's.

For his 1 corner post, he'd use 2 1x4's cut at a 45 and glued together.

When I helped him with installs it basically went like this:

1. he had 2 rectangles made from 1x4's. He'd screw 1 or 2 sides (if in a corner) to the wall.
2. He' support them with a 2x4 or something else.
3. Then he would screw in the decorative oak trim on all outside pieces.
4. Attach corner posts.
5. Fit plywood on top of 1x4s.

I laughed at him the first time I saw him and he told me 500 lb men slept in his beds.

When we built our camp he did the same thing, only put a full sized bed on bottom. Have slept in that bed with the entire family on a few trips to the camp.

There's no reason 2x4's won't be sufficient.

If you screw the supports to the walls, you don't need angled supports.

Here is my work

Hope this helps
Old 11-13-2018

Default Bunk couch

Friend of mine considering this.

Flexsteel makes one for rv's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58810db4a102656e6ec5ae3d4f018409.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	58893  
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 11-13-2018
Forum owner

Hi Sam,welcome to the zoo!
The bunk bed is easy to do,as you do it!
I may build some bunk beds in my guest room,since its more of a bunk room when the kids come to visit.
Plus we need new beds in that room now,thanks to Michael.
Way back when i built a schoolie conversion,we bolted angle iron the the wall and used that to support one side of a bunk bed,the other side had two legs,kinda like your bed does.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com