Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 10-26-2009

Default Do you know a wood flooring install artist for us?

Hi gang,

We are wanting a wood floor installed in our 1994 Wanderlodge. We traveled to Santa Barbara specifically to have a person install one but he appears to be too busy doing other projects even though we planned it with him 6 months ago. So here we are in Southern California twiddling our thumbs. We are looking for someone of skill that you could call an artists in their work. A wood floor install guru (particularly Bluebird experienced) if there is such a thing. Any ideas on who this person could be to install this wood floor in our home? We will be traveling to Yuma, AZ around Dec. 7 for a month to have solar panels installed and the coach electrical system totally redone by Starlight Solar (batteries, inverters, charge controllers/monitors, the works). We will be in Quartzsite from early January into February, and then Sedona, AZ area until May. So an artist wood floor installer in these areas would be great. As you can see, I am pretty anxious about getting quality so please recommend the best.

We were thinking about Bamboo flooring light in color since the wood in our coach is light (current wood has slight white washed look). Anyone against this idea due to easy scratching or any other reason. Any better suggestions for a beautiful and very durable floor throughout our entire coach?

Also, any comments on Starlight Solar in Yuma and the quality of their work?

I appreciate any information. Our coach is about to go through a very interesting transformation as we upgrade and renew to make our home exactly what we want. We elected to upgrade the coach we have rather than transfer to a different coach. So, I will be asking lots of questions in the near future.

Jerry
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 10-26-2009

Wihout hesitation....
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...lingandrepair/

Has wonderful reviews......and owns a bird.
1961 Jaguar Mk2
2004 Durango 4wd Toad
2010 Mazda CX9
Old 10-26-2009
Forum Moderator

Jerry you've come to the right spot. There is only one recommendation in the BB community and that is Ernie. He has a site which I will put a link for after this message. If you wish you can search this site as well and will find many glowing reports on his work.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...lingandrepair/
Old 10-26-2009

This was just the guy I was looking for. I just heard about him before I posted my message but did not know how to reach him. I have a ton of remodeling to do on the inside of this coach. Thank you for the info.
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 10-26-2009
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryKessler View Post
Hi gang,

We were thinking about Bamboo flooring light in color since the wood in our coach is light (current wood has slight white washed look). Anyone against this idea due to easy scratching or any other reason. Any better suggestions for a beautiful and very durable floor throughout our entire coach?

Jerry
Jerry, Ernie would be able to comment professionally on bamboo. I looked at it because I was told that it was heat treated with the resulting caramelizing producing colour through out the material. This insured a consistent colour right through the wood and not just like a stain on the surface layer. I was told that scratches could then be sanded out since the colour was throughout the product. If you wish to compare wood hardness there is a standard with Oak being the base. Some Brazilian stuff looks tough but again you'd have to defer to someone like Ernie for it's suitability.
Old 10-26-2009

Thank you, guys. I talked to Jerry in length and we will meet at the end of the week. This fits in great, timing -wise. I can leave Norco, Ca and drive to his location and with a little work, can fix his place up.
You guys have fun at RATS, if you are going. I have nothing but great memories from there. Ernie- Norco, Ca- horse country
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 10-26-2009

Yes, thanks guys for the help. Going to pull Ernie up to Santa Barbara next week to put in some bamboo floors. Just trying to figure out where to store the couches and all the other stuff that Ernie pulls out when he does his work. Being that we are full timers, we don't have the luxury of storage. Girlfriend is going to talk to some folks two spaces away to see if we can borrow their utility trailer. Really looking forward to getting this done.
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 10-26-2009

Jerry, I have a large- really large tarp and we can put anything we need on the large flat bed car hauler I put my 1 ton van on.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 10-26-2009
Forum owner

Ernie is your man.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-26-2009

Default Starlight Solar

Jerry
I had Starlight redo my batteries and inverter/charger in May of this year. They are a great resource. Owner is knowledgeable, fair, honest and trustworthy... is that too many superlatives?. We extended the battery tray about 6 inches and installed (4) size 8(?) batteries.... gave us about 1000 amp hours and much needed dry camping capabilities. New Magna Inverter/Charger and we are happy campers. On our trip to Alaska and parts north the system worked flawlessly... and Starlight was available by cell for some stupid owner/operator questions. I can recommend them highly. Good Luck. Oh by the way bring lots of money.. batteries, chargers and inverters and monitors and so on.... are not inexpensive..... sorry.

Ciao
OC BIRD