Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 07-11-2009

Default Bluebird Paint Codes

Can anyone cross BB's paint codes ? I've got a little project in the works and the local Sherman Williams outfit didn't even get close. The number I have is LF-HS-44405U and its a blue metallic with a slight hint of green in the right light. I have others that I will need as well down the road but right now the blue is my concern. Thanks in advance. I know there are optical devices to do this, no one in my area seems to have them.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 07-11-2009

If I remember correctly BB used Imron paint, it's very expensive and I had a difficult time matching it when we did some touchup on our coach. We ended up doing spray outs for each color, to get it right. Years ago; but I though one of the colors was like $400 per quart.

You maybe better doing a whole section rather than a touchup.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 07-11-2009

Hey John,

I have a paint color chart with all the colors and numbers used in 86. 87 is probably the same colors. If you send me your fax number, I'll fax you the chart. Perhaps it will work. When I painted the upper half of my coach a few months ago, the local body shop supply guy came out with a special camera he placed right up against the paint and took a picture for a computer match up. They came very very close. You can't see any difference.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 07-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meyer View Post
the local body shop supply guy came out with a special camera he placed right up against the paint and took a picture for a computer match up. They came very very close. You can't see any difference.
This is the new way and it works great as it takes into account any fading that has happened over the years. If you're going to redo the whole thing have him take a reading in a door jamb or some other area that hasn't weathered.
Blue Bird Maps 156
Old 07-11-2009

Default paint codes

Don, My fax number is 717 532 5764 thanks for the help. I know there are optical devices to do this, just haven't located a shop that has one. I'd like to DIY on this one but it's fifty fifty at this point if I can get it accomplished.

I have one spot on the body that has blistered under the paint. It's not rusted from underneath its appears that moisture as gotten under the paint. It's at a chrome molding which I can't remove and it could be leaching up from whatever is holding on the trim piece. I was able get down to clean metal and there was actually almost no rust just bubbled paint. If I could remove the trim I could get it accomplished easily but its that eight inch wide piece that runs down the entire length of the coach and I am not about to attempt to remove that trim. I'll fix it the best I can without making a major project out of it. The problem is of course finishing right up against the trim.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold

Last edited by bubblerboy64; 07-11-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2009

John,
I'll go out the my rig and get the paint chart for you. When I did my paint work, I set up a 2X12 between 2 ladders as a scaffold and I removed the upper aluminum trim the full length of the passenger side. I had the same blistering you have. It starts under the trim and works it's way up. I removed ALL the paint above that trim line. Believe it or not, in the hot sun here in South Florida, I was able to simply scrape the paint off with a 3" flexible scraper. Right down to the primer. A few spots that were tough, I got out the heat gun and those spots peeled off as well. I sand blasted the rusted and corroded spots, did a little bondo and putty work. Then sanded the entire area with a DA sander and 220 paper. Primed it with standard gray lacquer primer. Sanded that with 220 wet sandpaper. Shot it with epoxy primer and painted it with color coat, clear coat system. Wet sanded a little orange peel the next day, buffed it up and it came out really nice. Just screwed the trim and awnings back on and it looks like new. I'm planning on doing the whole coach in a year or two. Can't decide if I'm gonna do the "classic" look of the original paint scheme, of go a modern day graphic scheme. My family says to stay with the "classic look". You know it's a BB when you see 'em.

John....will you be at the mini rally in NH in Sept?

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 07-11-2009

Don, How did you get that trim off? I am talking about the 6 inch wide stuff that's about head high along the side of the coach. If I could get that off with out screwing it up that would go a long way toward solving my problem. Or didn't you remove it?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 07-12-2009

Hi John,

I tried sending that fax to you last night. Your machine never picked up. Is it turned on?

The trim along the side has screws holding it on. You have to pull back the black rubber strips covering them. The screws are under there. Almost all the screws came out without a problem. Rap the back of your phillips a few times and they should loosen up ok. I had to drill out only 2 or 3 of them that were rusted so bad they wouldn't move. No big deal though. I replaced them all with stainless.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 07-12-2009

Don. I bet it isn't on. It's at the office. I'll go down and turn it not this morning. Thanks for the info on the chrome strip.

Ok I turned the fax machine on. I also started to remove the trim. I can see that's the only way to get this even close to right. I have a couple screws I am going to have to drill out. If I can accomplish that I should be in pretty good shape. The screw heads are darned hard to drill thru.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold

Last edited by bubblerboy64; 07-12-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-12-2009
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Don, My fax number is 717 532 5764 thanks for the help. I know there are optical devices to do this, just haven't located a shop that has one. I'd like to DIY on this one but it's fifty fifty at this point if I can get it accomplished.

I have one spot on the body that has blistered under the paint. It's not rusted from underneath its appears that moisture as gotten under the paint. It's at a chrome molding which I can't remove and it could be leaching up from whatever is holding on the trim piece. I was able get down to clean metal and there was actually almost no rust just bubbled paint. If I could remove the trim I could get it accomplished easily but its that eight inch wide piece that runs down the entire length of the coach and I am not about to attempt to remove that trim. I'll fix it the best I can without making a major project out of it. The problem is of course finishing right up against the trim.
I could be wrong but I'd like to suggest that your blistering is 'white rust'